Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sorri Another Question Bout Motors! 2tc/3tc?

ithinkitsmiles

sorri for those guys who replied to my other topics if ur reading this and wondering why i ask so many questions... its because im researching for which engines im thinking about swapping in my corolla.... anyways heres whats up..... ive been seeing alot of 3tc conversions.... and im wondering why that set up is so popular..... is it the same wit a 2tc????

The KE70 ‘range’ (Which includes Model codes KE70, KE71, KE72, TE71, TE72 depending on which body Shell it is, sedan, wagon, liftback etc.) built from 1978 to 1982 (although it was still produced with slight improvements from 1982 to 1985 for certain countries,but by then the all new Front wheel drive AE80 range had been launched for the main world market in 1983) had the ‘base model’ engine which was a 1290 cc unit this I think is known as the 2T-C, a more powerful engine of the range was the 1588 cc known as the 3T-C this engine was available with single and twin carburettors. Also there was (at the very last years of production of KE70 range) a Twincam ‘headed’ version of the 3TC known as the 3T-GE engine this engine also had fuel injection system instead of Carburettors.

KE70.jpg

In Great Britain we had the 1300cc engine in the Sedan/saloon and Wagon/estate models and the 1600cc engine in the ‘Liftback’(red one in brochure picture) and ‘Coupe’(White one, second from bottom in brochure picture) models, the coupe also had Twin Carburettors fitted to it’s 1600cc engine.

In Great Britain we did not have the Twincam fuel injected model of this range (which was fitted in the Coupe and the Sedan)

ToyotaCorolla1600GTKE70.jpg

Picture is of 'Model Kit' of 'Twincam EFi' Sedan (sorry don't have picture of 'real' version).

Although I think I have the engine specification right I may have got the engine code numbers wrong (e.g. some people say 3TC-GE others call it 3T-GE) also I believe there was a ‘Twincam' version of the 1290cc engine called the 2T-GE engine, again Britain did not receive this engine and I do not know which models in the KE70 range had it.

What engine is in your Wagon at present 1300 or 1600? As stated above we only had the 1300 in the Wagons sold in our country but I believe other countries had 1600 option as well in the Wagon.

Although I think I have the engine specification right I may have got the engine code numbers wrong (e.g. some people say 3TC-GE others call it 3T-GE) also I believe there was a ‘Twincam' version of the 1290cc engine called the 2T-GE engine, again Britain did not receive this engine and I do not know which models in the KE70 range had it.

Oops I was afraid I might get 'code numbers' of engine wrong!

I think 2T may mean 1588cc (1T or T is 1290) and 3T is actually applicable to 1800cc engine versions, the 1800 of which we never received.

Have you then concidered the 1600 2T-GE dohc engine? As this was fitted to the KE70 range and may be easier to fit.

Failing that what about the twincarbs of a higher KE70 model (Such as SR Coupe) fitted to you 16 engine as a first step in cheaper performance tuning?

Just a couple of ideas.

P.S. Nice to see some older Corollas on this Corolla Forum :thumbsup:

hehehe well thanks for that... yeh i kno its an old corolla... well im still trying to decide about the engine i want... or what engine is good for my model... because what ive heard... is that so far... a 3s-gte motor would need alot of working,and anways the steps that some gave me for that motor were steps for a front wheel drive corolla. another thing ive heard is that a 4age would be alot easier... the only problem wit that is i dont realli kno which 4age would be good for my car.. because im looking for a 4age that still has a carburator. then i was looking for the 20valve silver top 4age... but those need to be imported from japan.. and here in america its illegal to have a japanese spec. engine... so rite now wat does seem reasonable is this 1600 2t-ge dohc motor. but wat ive learned is that here in the U.S is that my ke70 has a 1770cc 3t-c motor.. so would going 2 a 1600 2t-ge help? or would the 4age of a newer corolla but with a carburator be better that is the major debate i have. my dad who was a racer in the days knows about these corollas and their motors is telling me to try keeping my 3t-c block and using the head of a 2t-g... well if any1 out there can sort out everytin i just said and give me a little more help then thanks....

oh and p.s. twincam.gti you've been a realli big help in my decisions.. and thanks to all the other ppl who have been replying to my post...

oh and another thing... here in the U.S the equivalent of a ke70 is a te72 which has the 3t-c motor instead of a 4k motor....

oh 1 more thing. here in the U.S. a 2t-g is hard to come by becuase the motor has been used alot and alot of people have them, so its hard to find for sale. another thing.. being that the motor is a racing motor it is illegal to have here. yes that is some american bull**** for you.