Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Automatic Gearbox Problems St202

fazman

:( I would be greatful if someone could give me some advice. I have a 1994 2ltr automatic celica import ST202. I've recently had a second hand gearbox put in it and it hasn't been right since. The Gears doesn't seem to be changing. The mechanic had a look and say that there is a wire coming out of the gearbox that needs to be plugged into the computer system so it knows what gear to change to. Problem is there is nowhere to plug it into, has the mechanic put the wrong gearbox in, unfortunately he has thrown the orginal so we don't know if it had a wire or not coming out of it. Please help me...

Thanks

:(  I would be greatful if someone could give me some advice. I have a 1994 2ltr automatic celica import ST202. I've recently had a second hand gearbox put in it and it hasn't been right since. The Gears doesn't seem to be changing. The mechanic had a look and say that there is a wire coming out of the gearbox  that needs to be plugged into the computer system so it knows what gear to change to. Problem is there is nowhere to plug it into, has the mechanic put the wrong gearbox in, unfortunately he has thrown the orginal so we don't know if it had a wire or not coming out of it. Please help me...

Thanks

What colour is the wire?

Hi,

Its a grey plug socket with i think 2 wires. This is doing my head in. any help appreciated.

Cheers

OK. I can only go by the wiring diagram for a Gen 5 Celica but the only 2 wires coming from the autobox are the neutral safety switch and the reverse light switch wires. . Do you have a code for the gearbox?

where would i find the code for the gearbox...On the dash board, i'm getting the o/d light flashing if that means anything. thanks

Oops. Me was looking at wrong diagram. :ph34r:

Right start again. The code for the g/box is on the VIN plate on the front panel under the bonnet. Something like. A140E or A241E These 2 are controlled by micro computer. A140L, A241L and A243L are oil presure control types. I was looking at the oil control type. So do any of these numbers corespond to your cars original G/box? :thumbsup:

Thanks I will check when I get home, if it isn't the A140E or A241E on the VIN does that mean its the wrong gear box?

Thanks for your help

I really don`t know. I`ve had a good look in the book. But like i said thats for Gen5 models 92-93. The E suffixed boxes appear to be micro controlled but how many wires are coming out of the box i cant tell from the wiring diagrams. I would think there would be more than on the oil controlled versions. Also i`m at a bit of a loss as to how you can tell which box went back in.

I`ll have to study book a bit more to see what i can find out. :thumbsup:

I've got some wiring diagrams if you've got some more info. What car exactly do you have? What engine is it and if you've got the gearbox post it as well and I'll see if I've got a diagram for it :thumbsup:

Thanks

I really appreciate all the help..

Ok i had a look at the VIn Number, it has the A140E as the transmission type. The car is a Celica 1994 2lt GT Auto, import ST202, SSII Engine Code: 3S-GE. I will try and take a picture of the wire so you can see what it looks like.

Thanks

Unlucky! That is one of the ones I haven't got a diagram for!

I've just had a scan over the diagrams for the others though and to be honest they look pretty similar on the transmission diagrams.

The only wire I can really see which could be what your talking about is a Green wire and a White/Green Wire which come out of the over/drive main switch and go to the interior lights system.

What colour are the wires themself?

The only other pairs I can see are:

a "Black and Yellow" with a "Black" (part of this goes to the Starter Relay)

a "Violet and Green" with a "Violet and Red"

Let me know the colour of the wires and I'll take a proper look,

Cheers :thumbsup:

Thanks Sotal

I will check it 2nite. I think it is the green/white wire, could that be the reason my o/d light is flashing all the time?

Cheers

it would be a good reason!

The actual O/D Indicator in the dash is identified as having a Grey/Blue Wire on it which goes straight to the O/D Main Switch so I'm not definite that it would be affected by the Green and green/White wires??? :unsure:

The green and green/white - just say that they go to Interior Lights System - When I look at the Interior Lights System they show as going to the Following:

Green goes to A2 on Junction Box #3 Behind Instrument Panel

Green/White goes to A8 on the same junction box

Hope that helps a bit?!

Sorry mate that pictures tiny - I can't see a thing on there :(

I'll have a look again, but I'm pretty sure the only blue one from round there went to the Over Drive Switch? That one was blue/grey. Can you strip a bit of the outer plastic away to see exactly what colour the wires below are?

Cheers

Hi Sotal

Unfortunately i didn't set the size to big on the pic. Thanks, I will strip the wires back 2 nite and let u know.

Cheers

• 6 years later...

Old Thread, but...

Your mechanic installed the wrong transmission.

The wire in question was for Speed Sensor #2. The newer Transmission styles have an internal Speed Sensor.

You can remedy this problem by swapping the harnesses to a compatible harness for that transmission, and install the Transmission Control Module (TCM) for that harness as well.