Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Manual Or Auto?

ben_boza

hey im new to the supra world and could do with a bit of advise please, i see lots autos for sale and not so many manuals which is the better one to go for as ive read on forums and in mags that the manuals have proberlems which Worn synchros and have to take the trans apart etc.

so which 1 is it to be auto or manual plz?

Ben :D

Hi, i have had both! The manual and auto box are about as reliable as each other. I have broken a couple of manuals and also broken 3 auto boxes as well. The manual box does spit internal gears out under high power. The 3 auto boxes i killed have only blown seals tho, which is an easy and cheap repair against the manual. The reason the auto box does this is because it over heats. I have fitted an extra oil cooler to the autobox now and havent had a problem since. But we are talking running alot of power through it. A standard supra wont suffer from this problem. Also i found that when both cars were in standard form the auto was running faster times. The manual car how ever is a much more easy car to drive quick around bends with better control. It is also very easy to launch of the lights against the auto due to the clutch control you have. And last of all the manual does feel much faster in side as it trys to snap your neck through gear changes. The auto has a smooth gear change so pretty calm inside. O and my supra is a auto by the way!!! hope this helps

arrr brilliant yeh that helps thanx, i would prefer a manual if i can find 1 that is a good 1 but i suppose every 1 ideally wants 1 of them lol. Im not meaning to sound cheeky but what i would like if i can find sum 1 local or semi local is a passanger ride in 1 as i have avnt actully been a passanger in 1 and a look round the car to look for things to look out for when i go to buy 1 i will travel to have a go in 1, there is hardly any supras round chesterfield every 1 has got scoobys an evos and i just wondered what the handling and power difference was like.

There area LOT of people that have been avid auto haters, then driven an auto supra and been converted! My girlfriend is one of them!!!

Not sure if it's a MK3 or 4 that your after, but I woudl take a test drive.

The first time I drove an auto was the hire car, when I went to pick my car up, and I didn't enjoy that. To be honest with you, I wouldn't buy a small car with an auto box, but in a 3 litre Soop it's a joy to drive.

The auto box has also made me a much more relaxed driver and must have saved me from speeding, losing control or my license quite a few times.

its the mk 4 im after m8, im trying to find a garage with um both in thats willing to let me take a test drive, they seem like they dnt wana let me loose with 1 lol.

if i bought a manual and the synchros was nackered how much would it cost me to put right or is it a job i could tackle my self?

and is any body goin to 10 of the best at york on 31st july?