Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1993 4runner A/t Oil Temp Light

hochness

:o Hello, I am new here and was just wondering if anyone would be able to help me out???

I love my 4Runner and am pleased with it except for this little problem.....

If I drive for a little bit at about 65 and up the a/t oil temp light will come on and not go off till I shut down the truck and let it sit for 15 min.

I've been told that this is just a problem that Toyota had/has with early 4Runners. They said that these trucks were not meant to be driving on long distances????

Is this true and what can be done to remedy this problem?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Sam

• 5 years later...

Head gasket recall on these, i think years 91-94 of thereabout...had mine replaced in my 93 and still driving today purring like a kitten with 256,000 miles

• 5 months later...
:o Hello, I am new here and was just wondering if anyone would be able to help me out???

If I drive for a little bit at about 65 and up the a/t oil temp light will come on and not go off till I shut down the truck and let it sit for 15 min.

I've been told that this is just a problem that Toyota had/has with early 4Runners. They said that these trucks were not meant to be driving on long distances????

Sam

hello Sam

both engine's and A/T's fluids themp have been designed/calculated by the Brand and it is never mind what distance/time under way is covered.

So , in case you ve an A/T fluid themp issue then it must be investigated, as follows:

- cleanliness of themp sensor of an A/T;

- cleanliness of an A/T fluid cooler (it must be normally coolled by an engine coolant);

- normal engine coolant working themp and warranty that the respective coolant themp sensor gives correct readings (!!!)

- good performance of an A/T fluid circulating pump (if any available)

- cleanliness of the engine coolant fore radiator ribs;

- good performance of the cooling fan/s (!)

Be focused on the A/T fluid cooler (heat exchanger) first

Good Luck/Igor

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sam!

Not sure if have been able to resolve the a/t oil temp issue on your 4runner but here is my 2cents in it (I seem to believe it has an auto transmission):

- have you serviced the transmission lately?

- if not then draining transmission oil and opening the oil pan and cleaning the strainer re-assemble filll new oil and this should do the trick.

Hope this helps.

Prado1fiji.

Sam

hello Sam

both engine's and A/T's fluids themp have been designed/calculated by the Brand and it is never mind what distance/time under way is covered.

So , in case you ve an A/T fluid themp issue then it must be investigated, as follows:

- cleanliness of an A/T fluid cooler (it must be normally coolled by an engine coolant);

- normal engine coolant working themp and warranty that the respective coolant themp sensor gives correct readings (!!!)

Good Luck/Igor

Hi Igor,

I am also pretty new on here. I have read multiple threads on VVTI oil loss and the faults in engine design . Unfortunately, I only found this out after I bought my car a month ago. I have seen you have replied on this topic previously, and was wondering is there any solution other than scrapping car? Is there any solution(s) to fix the problem, and I am not talking about replacing the engine with the same type of faulty engine which has just done less miles?

I'm really desperate for some advice.

As you seem to have quite an experience in dealing with VVTI's , I'm looking forward to your response.

Many thanks

JJ

• 2 months later...

Sam

hello Sam

Good Luck/Igor

Hi Igor,

I am also pretty new on here. I have read multiple threads on VVTI oil loss and the faults in engine design . Unfortunately, I only found this out after I bought my car a month ago. I have seen you have replied on this topic previously, and was wondering is there any solution other than scrapping car? Is there any solution(s) to fix the problem, and I am not talking about replacing the engine with the same type of faulty engine which has just done less miles?

As you seem to have quite an experience in dealing with VVTI's , I'm looking forward to your response.

Many thanks

JJ

I used to drive hundreds of miles with my old truck and never had this problem even when towing.

Some old 4 Runners have a shared radiator for engine cooling and transmission cooling. Check you cooling system and make sure that the radiator is not allowing engine coolant and transmission fluid to mix.

Sam

hello Sam

Good Luck/Igor

Hi Igor,

Many thanks

JJ

I used to drive hundreds of miles with my old truck and never had this problem even when towing.

Some old 4 Runners have a shared radiator for engine cooling and transmission cooling. Check you cooling system and make sure that the radiator is not allowing engine coolant and transmission fluid to mix.

All auto's have the transmission cooler in the bottom of the rad, so buy a new rad and change the ATF in the auto box a couple of times, as when you drain the box fluid you will not get all of it out.

• 1 month later...

Sam

hello Sam

Good Luck/Igor

Hi Igor,

Many thanks

JJ

All auto's have the transmission cooler in the bottom of the rad, so buy a new rad and change the ATF in the auto box a couple of times, as when you drain the box fluid you will not get all of it out.

the positionning of A/T liquid cooler depends on conctrete model -- so usually it is attached on the cyl block and cooled by the engine cooler to keep working temp. cheers/Igor

• 11 months later...

No clue when the tranny fluid as last changed. The trans fluid cooler is in the radiator. When the engine is overheating, the trans cooler can absorb some of the excessive heat.

Used Parts

• 1 month later...

Sam

hello Sam

Good Luck/Igor

Hi Igor,

Many thanks

JJ

Hi JJ

Once the engine has started to drink an oil then no way back. Of course in case you drive short distance or use car seldom, then you can shut your eyes + moreover to chancge an oil schedule, let say from 5W30 to 10W30 or even 15W30 -- this oil has more viscosity and its oil film can serve as additional sealant. But when driven for a long distance -- you have to carry a spare oil volume for safety reasons, like me in the past. Yes in case you do still have a warranty then you can claim it, but if not ...... you can use the checappest way to change lubrication schedule. and your another eye must to search other car that has been reported (by years) as problemless. Cheers/Igor