Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Abs Light Always On

PatrickStar

About 3 weeks ago the ABS Light on my 1996 Celica ST came on and since then it hasn't gone off.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

I haven't had time to bring it to the garage yet and I'd like to have an idea of what the problem is so I know what kind of cost it'll be to fix.

Thanks

I had the same problem, could be a couple of things, abs sensors or the abs relay which are the common things to go first. You can test this by locating the diagnostics (DLC) under the bonnet. connect a wire between the Tc and E1 and make sure you take out the short pin from the DLC. Turn the ignition all the way you don't need to start the engine. On the dash board look at the abs indicator, If a malfunction is detected, 4 seconds will

elapse, then ABS light will begin to flash a 2-digit code. First

series of flashes indicates first digit of code. After a 1.5-second

pause, second series of flashes indicates second digit of code.

3) If 2 or more codes are stored, there will be a 2.5-second

pause between each code. After all codes are displayed, a 4-second

pause will occur, then all codes will repeat. If ABS system is

functioning properly, ABS light will flash 2 times every second. Let me know what code you get..

Just for Referrence here are the codes the ABS System should throw out:

DIAGNOSTIC CODES

Check suspect components in order given. Checks consist mainly of a visual inspection and continuity tests.

Code 11

Open in solenoid relay circuit. Check actuator wiring harness, solenoid relay, solenoid relay wiring harness and solenoid relay connector.

Code 12

Short in solenoid relay circuit. Check actuator wiring harness, solenoid relay, solenoid relay wiring harness and solenoid relay connector.

Code 13

Open in pump motor relay circuit. Check actuator wiring harness, pump motor relay, pump motor relay wiring harness and pump motor relay connector.

Code 14

Short in pump motor relay circuit. Check actuator wiring harness, pump motor relay, pump motor relay wiring harness and pump motor relay connector.

Code 21

Open or short circuit in solenoid for right front wheel. Check actuator solenoid, wiring harness and connector.

Code 22

Open or short circuit in solenoid for left front wheel. Check actuator solenoid, wiring harness and connector.

Code 23

Open or short circuit in solenoid for right rear wheel. Check actuator solenoid, wiring harness and connector.

Code 24

Open or short circuit in solenoid for left rear wheel. Check actuator solenoid, wiring harness and connector.

Code 31

Malftmnction of right front wheel speed sensor signal. Check speed sensor, sensor rotor, wiring harness and connector.

Code 32

Malfunction of left front wheel speed sensor signal. Check speed sensor, sensor rotor, wiring harness and connector.

Code 33

Malfunction of right rear wheel speed sensor signal. Check speed sensor, sensor rotor, wiring harness and connector.

Code 34

Malfunction of left rear wheel speed sensor signal. Check speed sensor, sensor rotor, wiring harness, and connector.

Code 35

Open in left front or right rear wheel speed sensor circuit. Check speed sensor, sensor rotor, wiring harness and connector.

Code 36

Open in right front or left rear wheel speed sensor circuit. Check speed sensor, sensor rotor, wiring harness and connector.

Code 37

Rear speed sensor rotor malfunction. Check rear sensor rotors.

Code 41

Battery voltage is less than 9.5 volts or more than 16.2 volts. Check battery and voltage regulator.

Code 51

Actuator pump motor is locked or pump motor circuit open. Check pump motor, pump motor relay, vehicle

battery, actuator wiring harness, connectors, actuator pump motor circuit and actuator ground bolt.

ABS Light Always On

Malfunction of ABS ECU. Inspect ABS ECU connector for proper installation and undamaged terminals.

Repair as necessary. If connector is okay, temporarily substitute known good ABS ECU. Retest system.

And whilst we're at it you might want to clear the codes after you've finished. B)

To Clear the Codes:

Connect a jumper Wire between TC and E1

Press Brake pedal 8 or more times within 3 seconds

ABS light will go out within 3 seconds

• 11 months later...

To Clear the Codes:

Connect a jumper Wire between TC and E1

Press Brake pedal 8 or more times within 3 seconds

ABS light will go out within 3 seconds

I tried this code clearing procedure on my 96 Camry to no effect. Is there another way to reset the ABS ECU and clear the codes?

remember it wont clear if you still have a fault

SPECIAL WSS TEST MODE

If you’ve found a fault code for a wheel speed sensor, it may be due to an open or short in the sensor’s wiring harness, physical damage to the sensor or sensor ring, a buildup of metallic debris on the sensor tip or corrosion.

Toyota provides a special wheel speed sensor diagnostic procedure that can generate additional codes to help you diagnose the underlying fault. Though this test is really redundant, it may help you isolate a troublesome wheel speed sensor.

To enter the special WSS test mode, turn off the ignition. Leave the short pin in the ABS check connector and use a jumper wire to connect terminals Ts and E1. Engage the parking brake and start the engine. If the system is in the special diagnostic mode, the ABS light will flash at a rate of four times per second.

Drive the vehicle straight ahead at a speed above 50 mph. The ABS light will stop blinking as soon as you exceed 28 mph, then blink once when you hit 50 mph. As soon as you’ve seen the blinks, the test is complete and you can stop the vehicle.

To retrieve the wheel speed sensor codes, use the same diagnostic procedure that you would use to read the normal ABS codes. Remove the short pin from the ABS check connector and jump Tc to E1. If a problem was detected in any of the wheel speed sensor circuits, you’ll find one or more of the following codes:

71 — Low voltage in right front WSS circuit.

72 — Low voltage in left front WSS circuit.

73 — Low voltage in right rear WSS circuit.

74 — Low voltage in left rear WSS circuit.

75 — Abnormal signal from right front speed sensor. Check the sensor ring on the right front brake rotor for damage or debris.

76 — Abnormal signal from the left front speed sensor. Check the sensor ring on the left front brake rotor for damage or debris.

77 — Abnormal signal from the right rear speed sensor. Check the sensor ring on the right rear brake.

78 — Abnormal signal from the left rear speed sensor. Check the sensor ring on the left rear brake.

Light blinks four times a second — No problem found. All speed sensors are reading normal.

Dude. That avatar...... :wacko:

Its cool! :D :thumbsup:

I had the same problem, could be a couple of things, abs sensors or the abs relay which are the common things to go first. You can test this by locating the diagnostics (DLC) under the bonnet. connect a wire between the Tc and E1 and make sure you take out the short pin from the DLC. Turn the ignition all the way you don't need to start the engine. On the dash board look at the abs indicator, If a malfunction is detected, 4 seconds will

elapse, then ABS light will begin to flash a 2-digit code. First

series of flashes indicates first digit of code. After a 1.5-second

pause, second series of flashes indicates second digit of code.

3) If 2 or more codes are stored, there will be a 2.5-second

pause between each code. After all codes are displayed, a 4-second

pause will occur, then all codes will repeat. If ABS system is

functioning properly, ABS light will flash 2 times every second. Let me know what code you get..

is this sequence just for the celica or for all toyota's as i have this problem on a 2002 avensis.

any toyota dealer will diagnose the abs system for free. ASK first though. :yes::thumbsup: