Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rattle Troubleshooting & Broken Ariel Relay

MIP

Two problems, I've had one or two rattles that I wanna eliminate, I'm gonna go to Halfords this afternoon to try and get somthing for it, some kind of silicon stuff? I just wanted to work out what it is I should buy.

One of the rattles is in the drivers side door, and if you apply pressure to the top right of the door (as your facing it from the inside) it stops. How do I remove the panel from the door? (I'm hoping places to apply the silicon stuff are fairly obvious once the panel is off?).

The other rattle is in the dashboard itself, and I'm not sure I'm gonna have much luck finding that one. How do I open up the dashboard? I'll probably apply some silicon stuff to every bit of mounting and screw fitting I can see.

Problem no. 2:

The motorised arial seems to have packed in. When it gets to the top, the motor just keeps going for a while, suggesting a relay isn't working to tell it to stop, and it makes quite a nasty grinding noise.

I didn't really like the antenna anyway, I've been tempted to do this:

No antenna

But the guides pretty vague, I have no idea how to get to the antenna to disconnect anything. :blink:

Just use bog standard silicone from b&q or any other diy store, it's just the stuff you seal your bath with. Motor Factors do sell black silicone but that stuffs dead strong - they stick spoilers on with it - so you may have trouble removing it later!

As for the antenna - no idea on how to fix it, but if it needs parts I think they need to be Toyota Parts - Your probably looking around £50, so I would go with the link you posted :thumbsup:

Sotal

As for the antenna - no idea on how to fix it, but if it needs parts I think they need to be Toyota Parts - Your probably looking around £50, so I would go with the link you posted

Arghh. I couldn`t do that :lol: If the aerials there its got to work. I`m like that. My aircon buttons are driving me potty ever since i junked the air con. :lol:

:lol: serves you right! This hot spell would come straight after you ditched it as well!! I was just reading the other day about how to retro fit Aircon to the gen 6 and thinking how you just ripped it out!!

The Aerial popping up and down is one of my favourite features of the car - it's like a little gadget so I couldn't do without mine!!

Nah.. Aircons for sissies. :lol::lol: I dontt mind sweating off a few pound. I`m a man me. :lol:

PS. And my cars a millisecond faster now. :thumbsup:

Well, I've got some clear silicon stoof, now I just need some idea as to how you get the panel off the door, and how you dismantle the dashboard a bit?

Oh and my arial now goes up and stays up untill I push it down :ffs:

Any idea's as to how you get to the underside of it to unplug it? I'm gonna run some speaker cable somwhere inside the car to act as an arial instead. I might perhaps fit a honda s2000 ariel some time. And I hope people don't mind my subtle variations on the spelling of ariel, I actually passed english gcse beleive it or not :D edit: ok 'Aerial', got it.

Don't worry I think most of us are illiterate (not even sure if that's spelt right :D )

To get to the aerial you remove the trim from the boot.

What part of the dash do you want to take apart?

To get at the centre part - pull the gear lever gaitor out, just clips in (or out) that will reveal two screws at the bottom of the centre part, undo them - then you find some more, keep popping bits off and undoing screws!

If there is anything from round the instrument panel then undo the screws at the top and the bit that goes round the ignition cylinder just pops off.

Never taken the door to peices so can't help you there!

Well, I've got some clear silicon stoof, now I just need some idea as to how you get the panel off the door, and how you dismantle the dashboard a bit?

Oh and my arial now goes up and stays up untill I push it down  :ffs:

Any idea's as to how you get to the underside of it to unplug it? I'm gonna run some speaker cable somwhere inside the car to act as an arial instead. I might perhaps fit a honda s2000 ariel some time. And I hope people don't mind my subtle variations on the spelling of ariel, I actually passed english gcse beleive it or not  :D edit: ok 'Aerial', got it.

Not sure on the gen 6 but on my gen 5 if you open the door theres some screws around the perimiter of the door card. undo these. undo the red courtesy light and remove. The yuo`ve got to find the hidden screws. One on the door handle bezel and two in the door handle i think. Then using a flat broad tool of some description. Slide it between the door card and the door and pop the clips out then just pull away from the bottom. You dont want to muller the door card so take it slowly. When you`ve gone round and pulled all the clips off just lift the door card up an inch and it`ll unclip at the top. Dont forget to disconnect the wires foir the window switches. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the help, followed your advice, managed to silicon up the dash a treat, and thats got rid of the rattle there. Only minor lacerations and bleeding on that task.

Got the door panel off as well, unplugged that red light, and similarly siliconed up anything I could see as obvious. Unfortunatly no joy with the door though, took it for a drive, and the dash was sorted, but the door was just the same. Not sure if its those metal rods that go to release the door catch and do the lock. I can still make the noise stop if I apply pressure to the door panel, it could almost do with more screws towards the top r.h.s of the panel, because it doesn't sit that tight against the door.

I've not got to the aerial yet.

Oh and on a random tanjent, had a 2nd round interview for a job today, and whilst I was getting a stubby screwdriver in Halfords I was rang up and offered it! Quite a bit of a pay jump, gonna be a web developer yea! I'll go crazy and splash out on things like gold membership and some 17" wheels :D

Thanks for all the help, followed your advice, managed to silicon up the dash a treat, and thats got rid of the rattle there. Only minor lacerations and bleeding on that task.

Got the door panel off as well, unplugged that red light, and similarly siliconed up anything I could see as obvious. Unfortunatly no joy with the door though, took it for a drive, and the dash was sorted, but the door was just the same. Not sure if its those metal rods that go to release the door catch and do the lock. I can still make the noise stop if I apply pressure to the door panel, it could almost do with more screws towards the top r.h.s of the panel, because it doesn't sit that tight against the door.

I've not got to the aerial yet.

Oh and on a random tanjent, had a 2nd round interview for a job today, and whilst I was getting a stubby screwdriver in halfords I was rang up and offered it! Quite a bit of a pay jump, gonna be a web developer yea! I'll go crazy and splash out on things like gold membership and some 17" wheels  :D

Well done matey. Hope it works out for you. :thumbsup:

Um, just a thought, does your door rattle with the window up AND down? :unsure:

Cheers :)

And yea, both with the window up and down. It kinda sounds like its between the door handle and the catch. I'll give it another go tommorow, take it all off again.

Put some soft foam between the operating rods and very lightly tape or zip tie them in place. Make sure the door works ok before you put it back together. :thumbsup:

Put some soft foam between the operating rods and very lightly tape or zip tie them in place. Make sure the door works ok before you put it back together.  :thumbsup:

Thats a good idea, I'll cut up some sponge, nice one :thumbsup:

Sounds like your on your way! Count yourself Lucky that you've got a Facelift Celica - Toyota fitted a load of extra sound proofing to quieten the celica down after 96.

Congrats on the interview :thumbsup: I'm a web developer too! :D

Cheers sotal :), I'm going from IT support to this, should be interesting. Will have to learn ASP among other things.

I've got to the aerial this eve heres a pic:

Aerial motor

Whats what here? I'm guessing the two wires with connectors I can easily unplug are for power and feedback, and the smaller wire that looks like its going up the aerial, that I cannot reach any connector for, is the actual aerial itself?

If I unplug either of the wires or both with the connectors, I get no radio reception, nor does the arial go up.

Can I just cut the arial wire and put some speaker cable in to act as an aerial?

Edit:

Nevermind, I pulled the wire that went up into the unknown a bit harder and got it unplugged, put a new aerial on that and got it installed under the plastic work.

its a common thing !loads of celicas rattle from top right of door card ,i just rest my elbow on it :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links