Do Not Sell My Personal Information

More Bang For The Buck?!

Ballew

Alright guys I came on this forum because it's obviously a Toyota enthusiast website, so let's get to the point. I'm planning on doing an engine swap soon and I was gonna ask what gave me more bang for my buck? I personally thought the MR2 would be the way to go but I'm not familular with the other swaps, I have a 94 celica GT by the way. So if you all could please help me by giving me the types of engines I could make a clean swap with, tell me specs and wut not *should I go Turbo or Supercharged??* thnx!

Turbo would be the way to go....

Due to the way the engines are mounted you would be better going for the 3S-GTE engine from a GT4 rather than an MR2 as it should be a straigh'ish swap... Not sure on gearbox, ecu options on the change though...

Hi. Welcome to TOC. :thumbsup: Have a look at This Thread Here Should give you a good idea of whats involved. I take it your GT is the 2.2 litre? :thumbsup: :D

Yes it is, money isn't really a problem *until I get over 3K* concidering OTT and Racing Innovations do my work for very cheap, but from them they say the 3S-GTE is the standard swap, but I remember one of them saying something about some other swap that comes supercharged that might be more powerfull, I will have to write down what they say, also I have the standard auto tranny *I know that sucks* but would it be worth getting a 5 speed or just to stick with what I got?

Yes it is, money isn't really a problem *until I get over 3K* concidering OTT and Racing Innovations do my work for very cheap, but from them they say the 3S-GTE is the standard swap, but I remember one of them saying something about some other swap that comes supercharged that might be more powerfull, I will have to write down what they say, also I have the standard auto tranny *I know that sucks* but would it be worth getting a 5 speed or just to stick with what I got?

I guess it really depends how much power you want and how much the different trannies can take. Personally i`d opt for a manual, gives you more control. IMO. :)

Yea I definatly agree the manual tranny is alot more fun, I was wondering if there is maybe a better engine I could swap for *if space allows* does anyone know of a more powerfull engine then the 3S-GTE??? After all I will eventually Turbo or Supercharge depending on yield of power *and other things turbo lag, dependability, ect.* I don't know much about the celica, thnx for all the help guys!

Well i think if your looking for tuning potential then sticking with the 3S-GTE engine would be a good choice. It`s relatively light and compact. It`s in a fairly low state of tune as standard. The tuning potential is tremendous. A few hundred dollars will see you at around 250 BHP. A few thousand dollars will near on double that. There are 3S-GTE engines around putting out over 800BHP. (Mind you, I don`t think any of the standard parts are still on them :lol: ) It all comes down to money.The engine tuners equation is More money = more power :D

I don't think your autobox has any hope of handling the torque from a 3s-gte engine. Even the FWD manual box will be pushed beyond it's limits. For this engine swap you really need a MR2 turbo gearbox, preferably a '94 onwards version.

You won't get anything bigger than a 4 pot mounted transverse in the celica. The biggest capacity would come from the 2.2L 5S block. With lots and lots of work, you could probably convert to rwd and shoehorn a 2jz-gte in there. That would be wild!

I don't think your autobox has any hope of handling the torque from a 3s-gte engine. Even the FWD manual box will be pushed beyond it's limits. For this engine swap you really need a MR2 turbo gearbox, preferably a '94 onwards version.

You won't get anything bigger than a 4 pot mounted transverse in the celica. The biggest  capacity would come from the 2.2L 5S block. With lots and lots of work, you could probably convert to rwd and shoehorn a 2jz-gte in there. That would be wild!

Yep. Totally agree with the above. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Especially the 2JZ-GTE :drool:

Alrighty guys thnx a bunch, I talked to the guys about the 2JZ, and it's POSSIBLE but it's a 20 thousand dollar engine swap *granted it would be insane and it would definatly be a show stopper* it's still WAY too expensive and requires WAY too much work, I believe he said you would have to actually lengthen the car because it isn't long enough, being an inline 6 and all, you would have to have a supra sitting right next to the celica and cute them both to shreads with a plasma torch!

Yeah. It does seem a bit odd when you think about it. People actually throw away the 2JZ to fit the 3S-GTE in supras. :lol:

LOL, really I didn't know that, that sounds insane the 2JZ is an ELITE engine, but they must have their reasons, if I could swap for a 2JZ for cheap I wouldn't think twice!

I think it` all about weight distribution and the fact that you can get so much power out of the 3S-GTE. :thumbsup: