Do Not Sell My Personal Information

98 Rolla

philjones1978

I thought I'd share my latest car news with you guys as my friends and colleagues think I'm a geek/loser/mental and have no interest in cars. I find it quite exciting!

Next week my car is going to 'chipsaway' in cardiff to get a bit of bodywork sorted out. The next day she's booked into 'Pro speed' for a custom exhaust. I'm looking forward to the dents and scratches going and hearing her burble from the back (ooh-er!)

I'll soon be buying something for the induction (can't decide between 3 systems), de-badging her and sorting a few more chips and maybe painting the callipers and drums.

Longer term I'd like to add a few treats to the interior, re-furb the alloys/repaint them, chip her and add uprated pads. We'll see how it goes.

Show some pictures of the car, would like to know how Corolla SR looks like;

if you can't post here, set-up a cardomain.com page and give us the link. :yes:

Show some pictures of the car, would like to know how Corolla SR looks like;

if you can't post here, set-up a cardomain.com page and give us the link.  :yes:

Take a look at my website dedicated to my Rolla SR - but it's a bit non-standard now :D

I thought I'd share my latest car news with you guys as my friends and colleagues think I'm a geek/loser/mental and have no interest in cars. I find it quite exciting!

Next week my car is going to 'chipsaway' in cardiff to get a bit of bodywork sorted out. The next day she's booked into 'Pro speed' for a custom exhaust. I'm looking forward to the dents and scratches going and hearing her burble from the back (ooh-er!)

I'll soon be buying something for the induction (can't decide between 3 systems), de-badging her and sorting a few more chips and maybe painting the callipers and drums.

Longer term I'd like to add a few treats to the interior, re-furb the alloys/repaint them, chip her and add uprated pads. We'll see how it goes.

Sounds good :thumbsup:

im after a G6R, cant wait to get one :D and start modding.... :lol:

Which induction kit is gonna be best for performance on the 4AFE? :bookworm:

Mike

dont worry about it phil i get it all the time! but i bet they all come to see you when theres something wrong with theirs or want your opinion on something dont they?

nice to know your keeping on top of your bodywork unlike me, my front splitter isnt looking so hot nowadays (them pesky kerbs) but i cant see it from the drivers seat so its not that high on my priority list, ive been in contact with charlie at prospeed a couple of times about induction kits mainly viper/bmc and the custom jobs that involve all the stainless and samco hosing (they look REALLY good) if not a little pricey, are these your three systems by any chance??

let us know how the exhaust looks/costs and more importantly sounds, some photos would be great :thumbsup:

dont worry about it phil i get it all the time! but i bet they all come to see you when theres something wrong with theirs or want your opinion on something dont they?

nice to know your keeping on top of your bodywork unlike me, my front splitter isnt looking so hot nowadays (them pesky kerbs) but i cant see it from the drivers seat so its not that high on my priority list, ive been in contact with charlie at prospeed a couple of times about induction kits mainly viper/bmc and the custom jobs that involve all the stainless and samco hosing (they look REALLY good) if not a little pricey, are these your three systems by any chance??

let us know how the exhaust looks/costs and more importantly sounds, some photos would be great :thumbsup:

I'm undecided between a panel filter, an induction kit, the K&N gen II kit and I may get a quote for the viper system when I get my exhaust done on friday. I can see pro's and cons to them all.

I don't have a digital camera but do have a scanner so pics are a long term thing. I'll be sure to keep everyone who's interested informed on the paintwork and exhaust.

I don't have a digital camera but do have a scanner so pics are a long term thing. I'll be sure to keep everyone who's interested informed on the paintwork and exhaust.

Not a problem mate - drop me a PM and I'll sort out pics for you.

G6AArgh Posted Jul 24 2005, 06:08 PM

I'll second that statement :yes::yes::thumbsup:

Here are the prices that charlie quoted me for induction kits (all cold air feed)

A viper kit fitted will cost £269.00 fitted these have a 2 week waiting

list.

A B.M.C. kit will cost £286.00 fitted.

And last a Race X carbon filter with full stainless & blue samco tube

as

cool air intake will cost £290.00 "Looks cool as, and it works"

Cheers

Charlie

i think you will agree their a little bit pricey for what could be very little gain and i still have some concerns about where the cold air feed will be from especially after driving down the M5 on sunday in what can only be described as torrential rain.

Here are the prices that charlie quoted me for induction kits (all cold air feed)

A viper kit fitted will cost £269.00 fitted these have a 2 week waiting

list.

A B.M.C. kit will cost £286.00 fitted.

And last a Race X carbon filter with full stainless & blue samco tube

as

cool air intake will cost £290.00 "Looks cool as, and it works"

Cheers

Charlie

i think you will agree their a little bit pricey for what could be very little gain and i still have some concerns about where the cold air feed will be from especially after driving down the M5 on sunday in what can only be described as torrential rain.

I bit too pricey for me, and I'm also wary of a cold air feed from the bottom of the car. I had a look at the fitting instructions for the K&N gen II kit and I think I can keep part of the original (tiny) cold air feed. I'll have to investigate further. I can get the kit for £140. I'm not the best with the spanners but should be able to fit it myself. I just wish I knew which option offered what gains.

John - thanks for the offer, I'll be in touch about photo's. You have the TRD gearknob too don't you? Would you mind me having a look as I'm thinking of getting one myself?

I'm not the best with the spanners but should be able to fit it myself.

John - thanks for the offer, I'll be in touch about photo's. You have the TRD gearknob too don't you? Would you mind me having a look as I'm thinking of getting one myself?

Yes the TRD knob is good - I've cut down my gear stick by about an inch too. If you need a hand give me a yell mate.

I'm not the best with the spanners but should be able to fit it myself.

Yes the TRD knob is good - I've cut down my gear stick by about an inch too. If you need a hand give me a yell mate.

Cheers John. Supercharger fixed yet?

She went into 'chipsaway' yesterday. Fantastic results. You wouldn't know where the scratches were.

As I write she's in Pro speed getting a 2" cat back system with a 2.5" tail pipe fitted. Mild sport sound. Subtlety is the key with my car. No point being all show with little go. Apparently the sound gets louder over time. I shall update after I've taken her for a spin tonight. Can't wait.

Cheers John. Supercharger fixed yet?

OH yes!! :D Whereabouts are Chipsaway and what did it cost? I've got a few "marks" that need removing :censor:

She went into 'chipsaway' yesterday. Fantastic results. You wouldn't know where the scratches were.

As I write she's in Pro speed getting a 2" cat back system with a 2.5" tail pipe fitted. Mild sport sound. Subtlety is the key with my car. No point being all show with little go. Apparently the sound gets louder over time. I shall update after I've taken her for a spin tonight. Can't wait.

Does your new exhaust sound good?

how much did that cost you?

Mike :thumbsup:

John - chipsaway are on Portmanmoor (sp?) industrial estate, just off Ocean way. They're in the yellow pages or see www.chipsaway.co.uk. They'll do you a free estimate if you take your car down there. I negotiated with them so I wouldn't like to say how much it would cost you. Depends on the number of marks/scratches etc.

The exhaust cost me under £300 fitted with a discount from my local car club. It's a 2" cat back system with a 2.5" rolled out lip back box. Mid sport. It sounds really good and the car seems a little more responsive, especially in lower gears. The only downside is economy seems to be worse (or am I revving it more?!) and it's a bit noisier on the m-way.

The exhaust cost me under £300 fitted with a discount from my local car club. It's a 2" cat back system with a 2.5" rolled out lip back box. Mid sport. It sounds really good and the car seems a little more responsive, especially in lower gears. The only downside is economy seems to be worse (or am I revving it more?!) and it's a bit noisier on the m-way.

Sounds good, trying to get an idea of what to go for when i get my new Corolla :thumbsup:

Cheers

Mike

Tonight I drove it through some tunnels (bute town for those who know cardiff), accelerated hard in 2nd, through 3rd and 4th. Jesus! It sounded lovely!

Tonight I drove it through some tunnels (bute town for those who know cardiff), accelerated hard in 2nd, through 3rd and 4th. Jesus! It sounded lovely!

Nice :thumbsup:

Has anyone used a powerflow exhaust? are they any good?

Mike :thumbsup:

The Longlife (not Powerflow) exhaust I had on my Rolla measured 92 decibels in the cab with all the windows and sunroof shut on the open road (much too loud - that's why it had to come off) but it sounded about twice that going through those tunnels :o

Edited by ae111sr

The Powerflow exhaust I had on my Rolla measured 92 decibels in the cab with all the windows and sunroof shut on the open road (much too loud - that's why it had to come off) but it sounded about twice that going through those tunnels :o

Do they not do a more subtle sounding one?

92db is well loud :eek: can't be doin with that!

ive got a powerflow on mine, when i first had it fitted i said i wanted a 3" tail and fairly quiet system what i got was very loud! (i think they deal with far to many loud=fast boy racers) so i took it back and they changed it free of charge, its now a nice sporty note thats not that intrusive on the motorway for example but sounds sweet under acceleration and off throttle (up to 4.5k and off the gas its fantastic) one thing about the powerflow exhaust is that their welds are not stainless steel (neither are their exhausts really) so i got some rust streaks down my back box where the tail pipe was welded on, this was easily sorted with some silver hammerite applied around the weld.

In conclusion not bad for £220 and if your not entirely happy with it just take it back and tell them to sort it and they will (well my local agent did)

ive got a powerflow on mine, when i first had it fitted i said i wanted a 3" tail and fairly quiet system what i got was very loud! (i think they deal with far to many loud=fast boy racers) so i took it back and they changed it free of charge, its now a nice sporty note thats not that intrusive on the motorway for example but sounds sweet under acceleration and off throttle (up to 4.5k and off the gas its fantastic) one thing about the powerflow exhaust is that their welds are not stainless steel (neither are their exhausts really) so i got some rust streaks down my back box where the tail pipe was welded on, this was easily sorted with some silver hammerite applied around the weld.

In conclusion not bad for £220 and if your not entirely happy with it just take it back and tell them to sort it  and they will (well my local agent did)

£220 seems pretty good to me :thumbsup: sounds like the exact type of sound im looking for...

Thanks for the tip on the welds :thumbsup:

Really want a G6R now :crybaby: can't wait :D

Sorry - my exhaust was made by Longlife in Cardiff (not Powerflow)

That was as quiet as they could make it - they just couldn't make an exhaust for my supercharged engine to save their life - and they would not refund my cash either.

Went to Stealth Systems in Southampton to get a proper exhaust made. :D

Sorry - my exhaust was made by Longlife in Cardiff (not Powerflow)

That was as quiet as they could make it - they just couldn't make an exhaust for my supercharged engine to save their life - and they would not refund my cash either.

Went to Stealth Systems in Southampton to get a proper exhaust made. :D

How much did your exhaust from Stealth Systems cost you? + does it sound nice?

nice of Longlife not to refund you :angry: what have you done with that exhaust?

Mike