Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Great Excuse To Shop For New Alloys

gordypix

Just got the 190 back from a service complete with report that 3 (yes - 3) of the alloys are buckled............... :ffs:

This could have been caused by a variety of knocks and bumps on the great UK road system.

After I had nearly shot the messanger so to speak - they explained how alloys are pretty much CRAP over bumps and basically on ROADS in general compared to Steel wheels.............!Removed! SOFT metals................

Ho Hum, I thought (well NOT really - but the Swear filter prevents me from typing my REAL thoughts) :lol:

So - it's time to look for a TASTY :drool: set of possible 18's to whack on the 190 and time to make a mental note to NEVER drive the car anywhere at all in fear of damaging more wheels...............

Unlucky fella...

But a blessing in disguise methinks! :)

Yeah - That's the way I gotta look at it................ :yes:

If they admit the wheels are crap, surely they should replace them for you?

Cant all be down to the roads or we'd all be driving about with wonky wheels....

Hmmm. Thats a blow matey... But surely getting larger rims would increase the likelyhood of having them buckle again. So how about a nice set of these. Nice ballon tyres to soak up the bumps and a massive 8 inch diameter... ? No? :ph34r:

13543_med.gif

I'd get a second opinion from a tyre fitting centre if I were you. Sounds like they might be taking the *****, unless you have REALLY given three of your wheels a right good pasting. If so, you would expect to see damage on the rim. And if they really are buckled then they are not fit for purpose, and Mr T should be replacing them free of charge (regardless of age or mileage).

I slammed one of my wheels into a kerb whilst swerving to avoid someone. The tyre side wall got totally crushed and the kerb left a nasty gouge along the edge of the rim. The tyre was scrap (big chunk missing from the sidewall), but AFAIK the wheel isn't buckled. I've had a new tyre fitted and they managed to balance it no trouble. I have gen 7 16" wheels BTW, guess yours are 17"s though?

Yes I have 17's on there - and there is NO WAY Toyota would replace them because I can't prove the wheels aren't fit for the job and they don't have to take my word of CAREFUL driving..........

Anyway - Toyta would NOT put bad quality wheels on there because of potential legal problems arising from safety concerns..........(however the surface finish had left a lot to be desired in the past with some of their supplied alloys.)

The rims are kerbed on all 4 wheels and even kerbing or hitting a large pothole can cause a buckle however minor............

It is one of those things unfortunately...........

Can you feel the vibration from them as you drive? Are the tyres wearing unevenly(unlikely, IMO)?

How long have they been buckled. Presumably it's a while, you couldn't have done them all at once, so if they were dangerous you would know about it by now. I'd be tempted to leave them or get the kerbed rims repaired.

You're just looking for an excuse to get some 18"s, aren't you? ;)

I don't notice any vibes when driving.......

They can't tell how long they have been damaged - I did ask..........

I can't believe it's 3 of the rims either.......... :wacko:

And yes - I do WANT some newbies............... :drool:

When I bought my wheels second hand from a new shape celica (17s) I took them to have four new tires at a garage and they told me that two of them were very slightly buckled. They just told me to keep these on the back of the car to be on the safe side. I've done this and i've had no problems or uneven tread wear.

sounds like the roads in bournemouth could have been the cause ;)

O'well - It was worth it just to find that Amazing Fish 'n chip shop............ :yes:

Last time i was over there i thought you had rather nice roads. :unsure:

theres a pot hole on the m62...

Not good at 80mph... hit that !Removed! thing +3 times now....

Reckon my wheel is buckled now?

If it ain't then you are DAMN lucky............. :yes:

If it ain't then you are DAMN lucky............. :yes:

Im also skint so i doubt it

Oh man i feel for you that ain't funny. How can 3 alloys be buckled? Still like you said before it gives you the chance to go out and buy some new one's :thumbsup: Now the modding begins :D

jerry!!

Sorry to hear that Gordy - if it's any concellation (and it probaby isn't! :lol:) I had three alloys buckle on my last car. They weren't particularly low profile 195/50/R15 but they would easily buckle given even the slightest whiff of a pothole.

Touch wood, nothing has happened with the TS wheels.........have been v. worried about them given they're lower profile than the previous ones.

Good luck with choosing a new set though - make sure you post some pics! :thumbsup:

Yes my girlfriend's Va*xh*l* Tigra, new in December has already had one alloy buckled and there's not a thing you can do about it other than bite on the bullet, dig deep and buy some nice new ones.

Happy hunting!

Yeah dam these british roads my brothers go through 2 sets of 17's buckled, 190 will look smart on 18's :D

Yeah dam these british roads my brothers go through 2 sets of 17's buckled, 190 will look smart on 18's  :D

Which, unfortunately, have an even better chance of buckling. :o

Think I'll stick to 17"s

Just wondering - Do the council ever use our ROAD TAX to prevent OUR nice wheels getting buckled........... :ffs:

Think I'll stick to 17"s

Just wondering - Do the council ever use our ROAD TAX to prevent OUR nice wheels getting buckled........... :ffs:

The only thing my council spend there quota of road tax on is more damn spped humps.

I live in a small town and i have counted the speed humps about 90% of streets have them and so far have counted 246 speed humps.

I know a little sad counting them but they seem to be appearing everyday lol.

Sorry to hear about your wheels mine must be well buckled by now with all these humps.

Think I'll stick to 17"s

The only thing my council spend there quota of road tax on is more damn spped humps.

I live in a small town and i have counted the speed humps about 90% of streets have them and so far have counted 246 speed humps.

I know a little sad counting them but they seem to be appearing everyday lol.

Sorry to hear about your wheels mine must be well buckled by now with all these humps.

The speed bumps in the UK are responsible for a lot of wheel and suspension damage to cars apparantly - and the councils must be laughing at us all............

Actually (I'm being boring now) - but it's cheaper for councils to pay out compensation for bust suspension and alloys than it is for them to resurface the roads like they should be doing..............so that's what they do!! :(