Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Car Is Driving Me Mad...

Heathy

Wired up my pop out tv tonight but got a buzzing problem thats driving me mad

The sound is fine when the ignition is in acc position, when you turn to the on position there is quite a loud buzzing then when the engine is started there is a loud squeling that gets louder the more revs you give it (deafening at about 2500 revs).

same happens to mine with my cd player steve goin to get it checked by mecanhic soon so ill let you know what it is. :thumbsup:

Will be earth problems with the stereo no doubt.

If its going up and down with the revs, like a humming sound try a ground loop isolator (get them from a stereo shop)

or the ....cant remeber its name now..a capacitor you put on the alternator to stop interferance !

If its going up and down with the revs, like a humming sound try a ground loop isolator (get them from a stereo shop)

or the ....cant remeber its name now..a capacitor you put on the alternator to stop interferance !

Checked all of the earths and they seem fine, I was thinking of fitting a surpressor to the alternator but it is strange how it only does it with my new head unit and not my old one, and after looking where the alternator is I thought I would ask on here first as it is not the most accessible of thing on the car, It is also strange how the car is fine with the ignition in the acc position but when it is turned to on a buzzing noise starts with the engine off :crybaby:

Checked all of the earths and they seem fine, I was thinking of fitting a surpressor to the alternator but it is strange how it only does it with my new head unit and not my old one, and after looking where the alternator is I thought I would ask on here first as it is not the most accessible of thing on the car, It is also strange how the car is fine with the ignition in the acc position but when it is turned to on a buzzing noise starts with the engine off :crybaby:

Yes that is strange, normally interferance only happens when the engine is running, i would say fitting a supressor would not make any differance ! (Thats what hey are called, spot on !!)

Do you have any amps or ice cap etc ?

Yes that is strange, normally interferance only happens when the engine is running, i would say fitting a supressor would not make any differance ! (Thats what hey are called, spot on !!)

Do you have any amps or ice cap etc ?

The only amps I have are the standard mr2 amps and nothing else.

Maybe the buzzing could be something else interfereing with it. Why can't these things be simple :ffs:

I bought a supressor today to fit to my alternator but im not sure which wire to fit it to on my alternator, it says on the box 'fit it to the thickest wire, which outputs 12v + only when engine is running' but the thickest wire looks like its an earth as its bolted to the body of the alternator there are 3 other wires plugged into the alternator but they are all the same thickness does anyone know which wire to connect it to, I phoned toyota and they didn't even know :huh:

thanks

just on reading this, how is your wiring? is it standard loom with an adaptor? what makes have you swapped from/to?

from what ive read it seems that your new unit has a higher power rating and is trying to take more from your ignition wire than it should, try routing a new live feed and a good earth thats thicker, this solves 9/10 cases ive ever dealt with.

suppressors will only cut a bit of the noise, not eliminate it!

just on reading this, how is your wiring? is it standard loom with an adaptor? what makes have you swapped from/to?

from what ive read it seems that your new unit has a higher power rating and is trying to take more from your ignition wire than it should, try routing a new live feed and a good earth thats thicker, this solves 9/10 cases ive ever dealt with.

suppressors will only cut a bit of the noise, not eliminate it!

Hi, I have changed from a sony cd player to a kenwood screen, I would have like to wired them both up but have been told this is not possible, does there need to be a earth straight to the Battery aswell? would I wire the positive to the red wire or the yellow (guessing yellow?)

There seems to be a buzzing when the ignition is turned to on but when the engine is started there is a squeeling which gets louder with revs that seems like alternator noise. Do you know which wire to connect the suppressor to?

yellow will be you ignition wire, if you run a permanent live to this then your unit will not shut down when you turn the key off, no big thing, just use the OFF button, in past cars ive ran a wire from Battery and joined it to red and yellow wire.

earth can be bolted to the body but its sometimes best to run straight to the Battery so you can rule this out if anythings wrong.

ive never fitted a supressor to an mr so i cant comment on which wire, but try the new feeds first and you may not need it!

thinking back i had issues when i went from kenwood to sony in my primera, this was earth related, the cable had come loose from its fixings so it was tring to earth itself throug the electric aeriel which picks up all engine interferance (rises with revs)

I also think this is an earth problem !

Thats why i ask about apms etc ! you might have a 'ground loop' or just a bad earth !

Try earting the stereo with a new wire, and feed a new ignition live aswell !

The supressor only removes interferance from the alternator, but this only happens when the engine is running ! :thumbsup:

I have checked all earths and they seem fine, how would I know if I have a ground loop? I think the red line is the swiched (ignition) power so would I wire it to the yellow? I would like it to swich off as the tv has a security system with a flashing light on the front to deter thieving scum when the key is out of the ignition, I havent connected up the electric ariel wire but I have taken out the motor and relay from the car (supose this wouldn't make any difference if it isn't wired to the radio?)

I mentioned this in the other thread: I had the same problem with a Sony headunit, the solution is to connect the negatives of all the speaker outs to the headunits ground, works fine for me.

Thats correct, a ground loop is multiple earths on a stereo setup, run all the earts to the same place !