Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anti-japanese?

T Sport 1978

The other night when i was bored i downloaded a clip on the top Gear website of their Exige Experience where Jeremy Clarkson rants and raves about the exige and how its an amazing car.

On arrival of the topic of its engine, he talks about how it comes alive when it reaches 6200 rpm and how magnificent this engine is that propels the car 0-60 in 4.7 and top speed of 147... but never does he mention once that this infact is a Toyota Engine WHICH was developed in conjunction with Yamaha and that this "technical marvel" is nothing but a piece of Japanese ingenuity.

Now why does this piece of information gets omitted? Is it for fear of tarnishing its non existent "British" heritage? Is it the fact that it was the Japanese that developed this power unit not warrant a mention because its foreign? now i know that in the Top Gear Mag it does actually say that the Exige uses a Toyota block, but this is hardly mainstream information... Its in the little section where they list the car's spec.

Sorry it just miffed me a little thats all. :P

Clarkson has always been like that. Not only like the occasion you mentioned but there were many in the past. But he is entitled to his own opinion and prejudice and I respect that. So, what did I do? I cancelled the subscription to the magazines he was involved in. ;)

I saw this as it was braodcast on top gear, during the article He did mention it was the Toyota Engine and Gear box. Cant remember if he said it was also used iin the celica he def didnt mention the corola though.

But rest asssured Toyota was mentioned in the TV broadcast.

TBH i think it`s a major selling point. Lotus themselves certainly make no secret of it. And why should they. Everyone knows that Lotus use other manufacturers engines so perhaps Mr C was just assuming we all knew so only mentioned it briefly in passing..

Mind you had it been a Mercedes engine i think it would have got TWO mentions. :lol::thumbsup:

Have you lot seen his "cool Wall" and all the rest of the RUBBISH! He has !Removed! cars like mazerati and them 1960's nonsence as SUBZERO and an EVO as Seriously Uncool! What the HELL!! He loves all the poncey cars proper, he is as !Removed! as Dale winton to me and they both have the same car!

He will go on bigging up all these RUBBISH German cars all day long, but they have BIIIG engines and have power/weight/engine size ratios worse then a 1.0L nissan micra, they make a golf skyline wannabe (r thirty two) with 3.2 and perform like it does and Toyota made the Supra, look at difference, laughable!

Jeremy ******son is a ******, and dont know jack about precise and efficient engineering.

(saying what i have i really enjoyed reading that he had 2 slipped discs, what a laugh)

I saw this as it was braodcast on top gear, during the article He did mention it was the Toyota Engine and Gear box. Cant remember if he said it was also used iin the celica he def didnt mention the corola though.

But rest asssured Toyota was mentioned in  the TV broadcast.

Well then i apologise, it was the clip version thats streamed from their website that i saw. During that 5 min or so clip there wasnt a mention of it.

But i do think he does have a prejudice against Japanese cars and people alike... Read some of his writings in his older books and he even borderlines being rascist against them. I just think he has a overly large chip on his shoulders and yeah i question his taste sometimes.

Have you lot seen his "cool Wall" and all the rest of the RUBBISH! He has !Removed! cars like mazerati and them 1960's nonsence as SUBZERO and an EVO as Seriously Uncool! What the HELL!! He loves all the poncey cars proper, he is as !Removed! as Dale winton to me and they both have the same car!

He will go on bigging up all these RUBBISH German cars all day long, but they have BIIIG engines and have power/weight/engine size ratios worse then a 1.0L nissan micra, they make a golf skyline wannabe (r thirty two) with 3.2 and perform like it does and Toyota made the Supra, look at difference, laughable!

Jeremy ******son is a ******, and dont know jack about precise and efficient engineering.

(saying what i have i really enjoyed reading that he had 2 slipped discs, what a laugh)

HAHA. The funniest thing is though, the little one who actually JC makes fun of all the time and yet he just takes it up the jacksy and laugh it off, AND at the same time never find the courage to really disagree with him. Those 2 are 2 sheeps following the big bad wolf.

Back to cars... You are absolutely right about many of the German/european cars where they use BIG blocks to produce moderate power from. OK, the Japanese might not be the most original in their designs, and that even their tecno advances might have been derivatives of European developments... But they have taken something and improved on it, that to me is PROGRESS. I dont see many N/A European blocks with specific output of more than 100 bhp/l... Not sure whether they see this as cheating or just plain unimaginative... Japanese cars are the benchmark nowadays whether the likes of JC agrees or not, in terms of reliability to engine development. Its really time that the !Removed! is given a real clap or two and for people like JC to put up and shut up.

TBH i think it`s a major selling point. Lotus themselves certainly make no secret of it. And why should they. Everyone knows that Lotus use other manufacturers engines so perhaps Mr C was just assuming we all knew so only mentioned it briefly in passing..

Mind you had it been a Mercedes engine i think it would have got TWO mentions.  :lol::thumbsup:

Well, i think if their financial situation were a lil different and they were not owned by Proton, they would hold on to their British name with the force of the Terminator's grip...

That being said, i think they are making damn nice cars again... Exige is BRILLIANT.

Mercedes would have put in a V6 in that thing and ruin everything about it. :P

Gti-Racing  Yesterday, 10:37 PM Post #5 

Yes :yes: when it comes to cars Clarkson is a wally but when he does a documentary on other things like the 'Victoria Cross' , Firearms and Planes etc. he was okay. Although hes made his name from car reviews (which are rubbish when he does them), he would be better doing articles on other items :yes:

T-sport your defoZ right about the 2 sheep, when doing the cool wall they egree with him forcefully, they should stand up and tell him how it is,

Hammond is Fair and honest and is on this earth, and in tune with humanity

Grandad just likes nothing less then a 4.0L v8 and nothing else, he likes BIIIG engined cars regarless of their performance.

And JC i need not comment on him, but i dont see why hes sooo Anti Jap, Top Gear love the skyline and say its a "technoligical Masterpiece" but when they get in a porsche then thats the best ever?

T-sport your defoZ right about the 2 sheep, when doing the cool wall they egree with him forcefully, they should stand up and tell him how it is,

Hammond is Fair and honest and is on this earth, and in tune with humanity

Grandad just likes nothing less then a 4.0L v8 and nothing else, he likes BIIIG engined cars regarless of their performance.

And JC i need not comment on him, but i dont see why hes sooo Anti Jap, Top Gear love the skyline and say its a "technoligical Masterpiece" but when they get in a porsche then thats the best ever?

haha.... They must have got through the audition for that job by nodding their heads.

Saying all this, i do enjoy the show except for when JC moans and moans about the "Soul" of a car or something abstract...like he knows anything of taste? Look at his clothes for petes sake.

Skyline... What i would do to have one... but oh well, my T Sport will do for now. :P

Vee 8 engines belongs in BIG OLD CRUISERS... not in the real world.

I remember watching a show a couple of years ago can't remember what it was called but Clarky completetly slated jap cars for the whole hour!!! the show was on, but the only positive thing he said was that they were reliable which took up a second or too of the show!!

but he does rate mazdas for some strange reason!! they must have to pay him!!

TBH I dont really watch top gear for that reason

Clarkson...0-60..0-60..0-60....does anybody really believe or take any notice what he says....the more contraversial you are the more tv exposure you get and that is all he is about. :P

I remember watching a show a couple of years ago can't remember what it was called but Clarky  completetly slated jap cars for the whole hour!!! the show was on, but the only positive thing he said was that they were reliable which took up a second or too of the show!!

but he does rate mazdas for some strange reason!! they must have to pay him!!

TBH I dont really watch top gear for that reason

I think deep down he's a bit of a xenophobe and that all people shorter and darker than him is somehow inferior. Thats just a personal opinion.

Mazda... Who is basically FORD and he loves Fords... He wrote an article about how good a Ford Sierra Sapphire Ghia was... Thats right, the orignal crap car itself was "Excellent".

Clarkson...0-60..0-60..0-60....does anybody really believe or take any notice what he says....the more contraversial you are the more tv exposure you get and that is all he is about. :P

He has something about power doesnt he? The more litres is has the better... Another thing, any European cars with Vee engines are fine, and as soon as an Asian can maker brings out a Vee he slates it down like its trash.

You are right about being contraversial... His opinions on the environment is shocking. He lives in JC world whilst the rest of us live in the real one.

strong in this thread the fan-boism is.

/yoda

errrmm

if you dont like either show, or the presenters - dont watch it.

if people dont watch it - it wont be on.

As long as you watch it - and give it such great publicity on the internet - it will still be made.

Makes me laugh.

Clarkson loves german cars and hates japanese cars - and you rant and rave about it.

YET you are exhibiting exactly the same degree of rampant generalisation and dislike of german cars - but see nothing wrong in that.

YET you are exhibiting exactly the same degree of rampant generalisation and dislike of german cars - but see nothing wrong in that.

lol true,

I dont agree with half of what clarkson says, but i like him as he has his opinion, and he isnt afraid to say it.

/yoda

errrmm

As long as you watch it - and give it such great publicity on the internet - it will still be made.

Makes me laugh.

Clarkson loves german cars and hates japanese cars - and you rant and rave about it.

Think you are missing the point here. I am saying that JC & Co do not give enough credits to Japanese cars and the mere fact that the Euro counterparts often makes inferior (techno wise) cars and gets applauds for it.

There are amazing Euro cars out there and for example the BM's and Audis are making some excellent cars with great techno advances, but the Japanese have been doing it too and at a more consistent level. Look at cars like Vauxhall and Rover, they have had so many shots at it i cant care to remember. OK, JC slates the Vauxhall too, but thats because they REALLY are poor.

I hate nothing and noone, the examples i gave merely is for point making.

lol true,

I dont agree with half of what clarkson says, but i like him as he has his opinion, and he isnt afraid to say it.

He would run a dictatorship if he had the power...Thats partly what i am trying to say.

/yoda

errrmm

Makes me laugh.

Mathew mcnally you expressed your opinion....I expressed my opinion and t sport expressed his/her opinion....what have you got against that....we are not against the top gear programme just clarksons thinks he is clever views.....as for the off button you have to watch it once to see what the contents are like....errrmm people will watch even bad programmes.

/yoda

errrmm

Makes me laugh.

Mathew mcnally you expressed your opinion....I expressed my opinion and t sport expressed his/her opinion....what have you got against that....we are not against the top gear programme just clarksons thinks he is clever views.....as for the off button you have to watch it once to see what the contents are like....errrmm people will watch even bad programmes.

Thats very true too.