Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ok, Yves & Blue, How Did You Sort It?

Al J

Read the appropriate threads about whistling door mirrors and seen the technical service bulletin. I also seem to remember Blue saying that Yves had sorted the problem with the door mirrors on her Yaris.

So, just wondered how you did it, what material you used and how easy or not it was.

Thanks in advance.

i've had my car ages now, and the other day the wing mirror started whistling, I found that it had not been pushed fully out into place. It had never done it before.

This fixed the problem. :thumbsup:

Hello! Ooh we get a mention :P

I know that it involved a piece of "draft excluder" which goes around doors I believe. On the wing mirror if you fold it back towards the car so it's flat you see a black bit which sticks out straight and doesnt move. What Yves did is put a piece of that draft excluder in between the black bit and the body of the wing mirror. It's just beginning to come loose now but that is because I often close the wing mirror in when parked so it doesnt get hit by another vehicle.

Yves is the best one to ask for a more technical description, I am not technical at all :lol: he's not online this week much because of the move but when he's over I'll ask him to write up better what he did ;)

Blue

forgot to say it's very easy, involved cutting the draft excluder to a tiny piece and using the head of a screwdriver to push it into the gap. Oh and a test drive after to see if the problem had been solved - which it certainly had and still is fixed even tho it's coming out slightly..must remember to fix it tonight/before JAE!

hammer

As usual you are subtle as one Chris! :D :D

You're more of a heavy engineering sort of guy, aren't you, mate? :lol:

Hello! Ooh we get a mention :P

I know that it involved a piece of "draft excluder" which goes around doors I believe. On the wing mirror if you fold it back towards the car so it's flat you see a black bit which sticks out straight and doesnt move. What Yves did is put a piece of that draft excluder in between the black bit and the body of the wing mirror. It's just beginning to come loose now but that is because I often close the wing mirror in when parked so it doesnt get hit by another vehicle.

Yves is the best one to ask for a more technical description, I am not technical at all  :lol: he's not online this week much because of the move but when he's over I'll ask him to write up better what he did ;)

Blue

Thanks for that, Blue. It's making sense (I think!) but a little more detail from Yves would also be great. :thumbsup:

I got some piccy's in the mean time which might make things a teeny bit clearer, then again maybe not but I took them anyway.

Posted links here as they are a bit on the large side on purpose:

1st Shot

2nd Shot

3rd Shot

Trick Of The Light, but it looks Kinda Cool

Still Wearing A Meguiars Shine

Shots 1 and 3 are the best, if you look closely you will see between the "black bit" and the Ice Blue casing there is a small bit of lighter coloured fabric which is visible. That is the Draft Excluder, but obviously it shouldnt be on show like that because the one on the Blue needs to be pushed back in again.

Blue

Hi Al J

I took mine back to Mr T yesterday after mentioning it during the service at the Weekend. The technician took the mirror apart and rebuilded it and seemed to have glued a very thin piece of felt to the metal part of the mirror between the mirror and the bodywork of the car. If you look at the second shot Blue84 took its the face which is exposed when the mirror is pushed in, not the bottom of the mirror. It's spot on now and no whistle whatsoever. If you want a piccy, PM me with your email address and i'll mail it you.

Thanks

Yarisldc

I got some piccy's in the mean time which might make things a teeny bit clearer, then again maybe not but I took them anyway.

Shots 1 and 3 are the best, if you look closely you will see between the "black bit" and the Ice Blue casing there is a small bit of lighter coloured fabric which is visible. That is the Draft Excluder, but obviously it shouldnt be on show like that because the one on the Blue needs to be pushed back in again.

Blue

Thanks hun. That is so kind of you, especially as you're getting ready for JAE. It helps a lot and is very much appreciated. :yes:

I love the idea of using draught excluder to stop the wind whistling through the mirror. Ironic, eh? :lol:

Hi Al J

I took mine back to Mr T yesterday after mentioning it during the service at the Weekend.  The technician took the mirror apart and rebuilded it and seemed to have glued a very thin piece of felt to the metal part of the mirror between the mirror and the bodywork of the car.  If you look at the second shot Blue84 took its the face which is exposed when the mirror is pushed in, not the bottom of the mirror.  It's spot on now and no whistle whatsoever.  If you want a piccy, PM me with your email address and i'll mail it you.

Thanks

Yarisldc

I'd get my Mr T to do it too but they've seen too much of me recently as it is. If youki spends any more time there, they'll think she's their car and try to sell it! :P

Another pic can't hurt. PM sent. :thumbsup:

Thanks hun. That is so kind of you, especially as you're getting ready for JAE. It helps a lot and is very much appreciated.  :yes:

I love the idea of using draught excluder to stop the wind whistling through the mirror. Ironic, eh?  :lol:

No problem, I figured it would help more to have a pic, or three :P

Will get Yves here to give you the proper explanation over the weekend - obviously not tomorrow as we're at a certain "event" :P

If anyone at JAE wants to have a look feel free ;)

Blue