Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rattles And Squeaks

aaronsaffer

Hi there,

First post here although been reading for a while - I've got a Yaris 99 CDX 1.0, got around 43k on the clock and have noticed a couple of things recently. I'm planning on taking it into a garage although I'm aprehensive it might need some major work doing to it, but hopefully not. Anyway.

For a while now, if I drive with the window open, at around 30mph usually in 3rd gear I hear a squeaking, sounding like its coming from the back not the engine. Usually fades after a couple of seconds. A mechanic thought it might be the brake pads rubbing but I wondered if anyone else had this.

The other problem, I only noticed the other day, was if I put my foot down at around 27-30mph, there is what sounds like a rattle coming from the engine. Quite a dull rattle, nothing noisy. It happened consistantly when I fired the accelerator a bit.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas or has had similar problems do let me know as I'm driving to France in a month or so! :o Also, is it a general design feature that it is quite a hard ride in a Yaris? or is there anything I can adjust to the suspension to improve it? Thanks a lot for anyhelp!

ive had squeaky (that doest look right lol) brakes on and off since the car was 6 months old. lost count the amount of times toyota garage "sorted" the problem out. best thing they did was checking the back brakes and saying its sorted when it was the front ones. they obviously didnt bother checking the front ones. i also hear little squeaks when im in first gear doing around 10mph but once i go abit faster they go. its not very loud but its something u pick up as the driver

ive had squeaky (that doest look right lol) brakes on and off since the car was 6 months old. lost count the amount of times toyota garage "sorted" the problem out. best thing they did was checking the back brakes and saying its sorted when it was the front ones. they obviously didnt bother checking the front ones.

That's a known fault... iv had it as have loads of people... tell them you want the front brakes thoroughly cleaned and greased (copper grease i think does it) and that will solve it. They're lying when they say nothings wrong... if it's Benfield Toyota your going to then they are a bunch of liars... stick it out until it's sorted.

They're lying when they say nothings wrong... if it's Benfield Toyota your going to then they are a bunch of liars... stick it out until it's sorted.

yeap thats the one. useless lumps. its past its warranty now so im not bothered about spending money on it. sometimes theres hardly any noise sometimes there is. does the weather effect it? its more annoying than anything

yeap thats the one. useless lumps. its past its warranty now so im not bothered about spending money on it. sometimes theres hardly any noise sometimes there is. does the weather effect it? its more annoying than anything

They are useless lumps... nice one!

The weather didn't affect it at all... it was just squeeky all the time when braking at lower speeds (sub 30mph) It was very annoying... that's why i got it sorted.

Well I'm taking it in for a check up in a few weeks but thanks for your replies. No one told me about the suspension issue, when driving on a slightly bumpy road it feels like the whole car is rattling. Is that just due to the fact they are small and slightly tinny or can the suspension be altered to dampen the bumps etc?

Well I'm taking it in for a check up in a few weeks but thanks for your replies. No one told me about the suspension issue, when driving on a slightly bumpy road it feels like the whole car is rattling. Is that just due to the fact they are small and slightly tinny or can the suspension be altered to dampen the bumps etc?

They are slightly rattly cars... amke sure your glovebox, door bins etc are empty before you blame the car though... many a rattle can be found from your own crap in the car!

• 1 year later...
They're lying when they say nothings wrong... if it's Benfield Toyota your going to then they are a bunch of liars... stick it out until it's sorted.

I had squeaky brakes on my Yaris, after two inspections and a firm "theres nothing wrong with your brakes I demanded my money back and they offered to clean them for me. Surprise surprise they discovered that my brake discs had corroded in one place through sitting on their forecourt, so they skimmed them and replaced the brake pads. No more squeaking. Ahem. Now my dashboard is crackling, how annoying.

Dashboard creaks a bit when my car is cold. My brakes are corroded slightly as the car i bought had been sitting a while too...toyota are looking 100 quid to skim them so im opting for new brakes and pads on the front, waiting til a few pay cheques arrive before i get them, tempted about aftermarket ones...but not sure how long ill keep the car. The car is quite tinny and build quality isnt as high up as the other cars ive owned..VW and Honda but you just have to live with it im afraid :)

The rattly thing, mine does it too. I guess it's from the catalytic converter, it only occurs at a certain rev. =)