Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Imports

Blackdog

I have been looking for a celica for 3 months now :angry: and all I can find is imports!

I have been put off by reports of expensive repair costs and problems with servicing. So I thought I would throw it to you guys and ask for help. Does anybody have experience of Jap imports and increased costs? Is it a real concern??

Thanks Guys :thumbsup:

imports use the same parts as uk versions. its just a business rip off.

jap cars are rust free , my 1994 gt4 underbelly is as clean as the day it was made , not 1 sign of rust anywhere .they also are usually much lower mileage as uk variants. :thumbsup:

^^^^^ As above. Tho they do prefer Super unleaded fuel but you do reap the rewards with slightly enhanced performance. Nowt wrong with JDM models... In fact there`s a lot right with them. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The only issue you might have is that some insurance companies don't like imports and will try and pull down your pants. If so, tell them to p*ss off and try another one.

There was an importer at JAE today with a '94 gt4 in black, with 43k miles for £4250! :drool: I was tempted myself, but I really want a Supra next.

i have an imported gt4 1990 model ... mint... no rust ...galvanised :)

parts are the same as for uk mostly

insurance ...well im 42 so i went with hyperformance ... cost me 500 3rd party

hope this helps :bookworm:

KITT is an import and I would never have an English Celica. :yes: I have never had a problem with getting bits and bobs for her.

As above!

I was looking for insurance quotes before and GT4_booster had recommended Norwich Union for Imports, and I noticed when it comes to picking the model it has all the Jap ones listed as well, so they may be worth a shot.

The main parts of the car are identical though so parts isn't a problem.

Just as an extra note though, GT4_Booster says the underside of his import is rust free just like the day it was bought - I would like to add that my UK model is exactly the same! :thumbsup: Not a spot of rust on the whole car! :D

the day it was made . :thumbsup::lol::yes:

There ain't nowt wrong with jap imports, infact alot of the time there's more right with them than UK cars. Alot of people bang on about not knowing the service history etc. But here's the thing, in japan car servicing is part of their equivalent of our MOT it's a legal requirement for them and if anything is shown as needing replacing it has to be done, much more strigent than UK MOT and servicing.

Compare that to the UK the only legal requirement is MOT which is just a check, servicing is up to the owner once outside warrenty and all to often get done on the cheap.

Personally I bought a english ST205 GT4, couple of reasons really. Most of the imports I looked at had a fair few mods on them already and I was after a standard car, secondly I found a minter of a Black UK car with receipts and service, all from original selling dealer who confirmed the services and work done on the car when I phoned to check. Also he actually knew what I was on about when I said GT4 which is novel from a toyota dealer some of them have never even heard of much less seen a GT4. On the one I found the interior was actually in alot better condition than the imports I looked at even though it had done on average about 20k more mileage wise, as with guys above not a touch of rust underneath.

Also just to mention I don't know about the ST and GT but all the GT4's were built in Japan alongside their JDM counterpart then shipped out to europe. So Why would they use different parts but be built in the same place, doesn't make sence does it. :yes:

Insurance companies will tell you anything to get more money out of you, and you do get some garages that don't like dealing with imports. But look around someone will and they'll be only to happy to have your business, and usally for alot cheaper than those who moan about the imports even though they use the same parts and supply lines???

Look around and go see a few you'll be supprised at the range of condition that they're avaliable in. What ever you do don't buy the first one you see if it's that good you can go back and buy it later but always look around first. If it's a private sale be onest and ask questions if the seller is for real and looked after the car they'll welcome the questions, if not walk away.

As for car mileage look at it this way do you get a low mileage car that hasn't had cambelt clutch etc replaced or a slightly higher mileage one which has and is often cheaper???

Whatever you get you'll enjoy it the celica is a great car and very reliable. My mate now hates me coz he loves the Celcia GT4 (and he's got a 320BHP Cosworth). Makes you think doesn't it... :thumbsup:

the day it was made .  :thumbsup:  :lol:  :yes:

picky :P - that must be the differnce between uk and jap ones then!

Also just to mention I don't know about the ST and GT but all the GT4's were built in Japan alongside their JDM counterpart then shipped out to europe. So Why would they use different parts but be built in the same place, doesn't make sence does it. :yes:

Mine says built in Japan on it :thumbsup:

:D Thanks guys Mind firmly at rest I will no longer be concerned and hope to be owning by friday!!! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

i have an import and its awesome my insurance is with norwich union and its the best quote i could find and i did look for weeks leading up to getting my car(took 5months to find tho, live in cornwall and only had a dying 205 to get me for viewings).

i was nervous about an import but its been great so far and when i had tires fitted the guy come up to me and said that the underside of the car was immaculate. i was shocked for the year as its 15years old but these guys on the site also said they are good on corrosion and so they must be... import my friend is the way forward...

good luck

james