Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mpg Very Poor....

cookci

right my MPG are still totally poor...

Im getting 50 miles for £10 of super at 90p per litre which im sure cant be right. That was from journeys averaging at about 50MPH stopping and starting a few times but not many.

Ive done my lambda which did make it better. Obviously my car is fully serviced. I have a decat which didnt make any difference either... if not made it worse

Any more suggestions?

help cos i cant afford to drive anywhere!

christian

Same problem as me mate dunno how to sort it? maybe need a dianostic engine check. or the SS2's could just drink skinting me out though when i went to santa pod put £60 in it there and back. :eek:

Have u done ur lambda? thats definately worth changing.

just wondering though... is there such thing as a fast nice looking car that does reasonable miles per gallon!?

i get more than you from mine - somethings a miss , put the cat back on , my 202 didnt do as good when i decatted that , the rear pipe was always sooty.

i think i might uno. Its coming off and gonna be for sale shortly

some owners here report increased MPG from a decat but its definately not increased on mine

Is your air filter clean? Do you have the standard air box?

Is your water temp going to half way?

Does it feel OK to drive?

Has it gone bad suddenly or got worse over a period of time?

Only causes I can think of are:

very blocked air filter

thermostat

coolant temp sensor

intake air temp sensor (unlikely)

ignition timing

Only causes I can think of are:

very blocked air filter

thermostat

coolant temp sensor

intake air temp sensor (unlikely)

ignition timing

thanks for the reply.

Yes. Standard yes but with a 3" hole in it fed with cold air

yes quite quickly

Feels fine and its definately as quick as it should be

Its always been bad however lambda made it a good bit better then decat seems to of made it worse. MPG have never been good though.

Where do you think i go from here?

obviously the decat is going as soon as possible

Yep same as mine, if it dosn't get better soon might sell mine and get another 1 don't want to but its like a tank to fill up. Would prefer to fuela turbo for less money. plus i haven't got the cat for mine <_< .

Maybe it's just down to the way you are driving it? :unsure:

A functioning lambda sensor will keep fueling correct under closed loop conditions (i.e. part throttle/cruising). It only goes open loop when you are accelerating, so that can be the only time you are using more fuel than you should be.

Have you checked the lambda sensor output on the OX1 pin of the diagnostic connenctor? Although, I would have thought the check engine light would come on if it wasn't getting the signal right.

I can't see that your decat pipe would make it significantly worse. Is it a proper decat pipe that keeps the exhaust diameter constant, or a hollowed out cat box?

ive tried various driving techniques and it always turns out with a low mpg.

not tried the OX1 pin of the connector... if there was a fault with the lambda though surely it shouldnt of passed its MOT? And about the check engine light... mine doesnt turn on even if i have no lambda plugged in at all! :S

Valid point about the MOT testing. I am surprised that you don't get the check engine light with the lambda disconnected though. :blink:

Does the check engine light (orange) come on with the ignition, before you start the engine? If not then it suggests someone has removed the bulb. <_<

what is the check engine light? my car has a orange light on constantly, looks like a picture of the car but with little flashes at the back of the car, maybe lights fault or something, no other lights come on in mine when i turn the key

what is the check engine light? my car has a orange light on constantly, looks like a picture of the car but with little flashes at the back of the car, maybe lights fault or something, no other lights come on in mine when i turn the key

That's the faulty tail bulb indicator. The check engine light is an engine symbol. It should light up orange when you turn on the ignition and go out when the engine starts. You should also get the oil warning lights, ABS, and airbag, if you have them.

ill try remember to check it when i next use it. Just trying to sort out my faulty phone now then my new broken stereo which the guy who sold it me wants to charge me 30% restocking fee because ive used it!

rant rant rant

rant over lol

I am running out of ideas now! :blink:

Have you checked the tracking and camber since lowering it? Are your tyre pressures high enough. But I would have thought that if they were losing you 30% fuel economy, they would wear out in no time. Your brakes aren't binding are they? I think you'd smell burning if they were that bad though.

You are getting desperate with the ideas there! I've only had binding brakes on one car and never noticed any change in MPG, just got a nice orange glow at night behind the alloys :lol:

iv told you before to remove the lead brick from the go pedal cookci :D

i wasn't getting the best mpg before i went to London and jae last week, the round trip was 1016 miles and avraged 34mpg doing mostly 80-90mph , the car now feels loads better and is still getting good economy , even changed back to 95 ron as ultimate and optimax was as much as £1 a ltr on the motorway services ffs

80-90mpg isn't bad :lol: but an average of 34mpg when you are doing mostly 80-90 isn't very good :lol:

Ok ok I'll pi** off and stop picking :P :lol:

average of 34mpg when you are doing mostly 80-90 isn't very good :lol:

Yes it is! :huh: Thats just the price you have to pay for the extra 50+ horses that the GT has. :P

average of 34mpg when you are doing mostly 80-90 isn't very good :lol:

Yes it is! :huh: Thats just the price you have to pay for the extra 50+ horses that the GT has. :P

Yeah but he said he was doing mostly 80-90MPG so an average of 34 wouldn't be very good :lol::wacko:

Sorry it was just me being picky. 34MPG average for a 170bhp car isn't bad at all :thumbsup: