Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12r Tuning

Bad Bob

Does anyone know if any companies did tuning parts, or ‘how to tune’ info for 12R engines in the seventies? If they did, has anyone got any parts or info? I know there were some custom 12R powered Hilux pickups around at the time, but how much was done to the engines, I don’t know.

I build tuned engines for rich folks who want to race mega buck old cars, and want to see if I can apply my know-how to my RH11 Hiace bus engine.

What I need most is a fast road or race cam, in any condition as long as some of the lobes are intact, or even a data chart listing lift, duration, overlap, disposition, ramp velocity, etc., so I can have one made.

I’m sure some improvements must have been made at some time, over the original ¼” lift cam.

I know the project will be limited by the 12R three bearing crank design, which tends to get whippy at high RPM – I’ve had similar cranks break in old Ford engines – but I’m not after an all-out racer (yet). Just something that pulls better up hills, and cruises at speed on the motorway.

I’ve searched the net, with no luck. If anyone can help with anything at all, I’ll be your friend for life.

Bad Bob

Does anyone know if any companies did tuning parts, or ‘how to tune’ info for 12R engines in the seventies?  If they did, has anyone got any parts or info? I know there were some custom 12R powered Hilux pickups around at the time, but how much was done to the engines, I don’t know.

I build tuned engines for rich folks who want to race mega buck old cars, and want to see if I can apply my know-how to my RH11 Hiace bus engine.

What I need most is a fast road or race cam, in any condition as long as some of the lobes are intact, or even a data chart listing lift, duration, overlap, disposition, ramp velocity, etc., so I can have one made.

I’m sure some improvements must have been made at some time, over the original ¼” lift cam.

I know the project will be limited by the 12R three bearing crank design, which tends to get whippy at high RPM – I’ve had similar cranks break in old Ford engines – but I’m not after an all-out racer (yet). Just something that pulls better up hills, and cruises at speed on the motorway.

I’ve searched the net, with no luck. If anyone can help with anything at all, I’ll be your friend for life.

Bad Bob

Does anyone know if any companies did tuning parts, or ‘how to tune’ info for 12R engines in the seventies?  If they did, has anyone got any parts or info? I know there were some custom 12R powered Hilux pickups around at the time, but how much was done to the engines, I don’t know.

Bad Bob

Bob There is a firm, Bradford cams, their address <www.bguk.co.uk>try them for reconditioning your existing cam, or making a one off cam. Ram Damodar

Bad Bob

Bob There is a firm, Bradford cams, their address <www.bguk.co.uk>try them for reconditioning your existing cam, or making a one off cam. Ram Damodar

Bob. I just found the address, it is Bradford Grinders(UK) LtdMount Street, Bradford BD3 9SN Phone 1274 733141. Hope this will be of help. Ram Damodar

Bad Bob

Bob. I just found the address, it is Bradford Grinders(UK) LtdMount Street, Bradford BD3 9SN Phone 1274 733141. Hope this will be of help. Ram Damodar

ramdamodar

Thanks for the info. I'll bear them in mind. The problem is, I need cam profile and timing data before I can have a modified cam made.

• 7 months later...

Bad Bob

ramdamodar

Thanks for the info. I'll bear them in mind. The problem is, I need cam profile and timing data before I can have a modified cam made.

I know of a Toyota race shop in California that does this type of work. Send an e-mai to joel@toysport.com, he'll get you what you want from either Japan or the Phillipines.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links