Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying My First Toyota, Looking For Some Advice...

MattTodd

Just IT support at the moment, bit of a general sort out computer problems type job, but I'm moving to work as a web developer on 22nd of next month.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sotal

• MIP

• mikeb

• MattTodd

Top Posters In This Topic

Just IT support at the moment, bit of a general sort out computer problems type job, but I'm moving to work as a web developer on 22nd of next month.

!Removed! hell lol. Almost put that in my last post. The company I work for is phasing out IT support, just got my MCSE course in in time lol, so now I'm doing more and more web programming. I basically just convert designs into skeleton websites, then add the content. I cant do heavy coding, data driven style programming for the web yet, but I'm quite canny with cascading stylesheets lol. Using Visual Studio 2003 at the min, but we're playing with 2005 beta currently, which looks really good. Anyways, I'll shutup now, good luck in your new job!

Matt

I do the heavy boring coding part :) Mainly in PHP and MySQL can also do a bit of ASP, but I prefer PHP. If any freelance web developers want they can send me their details - when we get busy we offer out work to freelance designers etc :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

heyyy

i'm an IT engineer too :)

no mcse and other b$ on me, i refuse to pay big bucks for silly exams and fancy pieces of papar :cacker: .

in car PC? was thinking about that a LOT, but in the end decided to skip on the project. too much hastle for a car i dont travel around enough in (aka, too much city driving, yuck). you can power your pc by 2 ways. first one would be finding a (used is ok too) UPS that works on 12/14.4 volt batteries. dismount the damn thang and hook it up to your car's Battery using proper wires (AT LEAST 10 gauge/10mm2. dont forget a 50amp fuse right at the Battery!!!!). the second choice is to get a DC-DC power supply made especially for in-car use. the internet is full of them. they ARE expensive, but they solve one big problem:

huge voltage drops when you start the motor.

yupp. saves you the trouble of destroying almost everything in a few days. of course, there is an answer to this too, with the UPS version :D

get a REALLY good starter Battery. like, exide maxxima, optima yellow or red top. these things have at least 4 times the cranking power than regular batteries. you can crank them all you want and i doubt there'll be a significant voltage drop.

and now, for the money part. you're looking at a minimum of a hundred euros for a decent DC-DC power supply. as for the UPS version, first you need a ups (used=cheap, new=probably 30-50 euros) to dismount, then a QUALITY power supply (NOT those cheap noname craps that come a dime a dollar - i'm talking about at least a coolermaster 380W extreme - 40 euros at least too) and THE BATTERY (mentioned above). at least 200 euros more. the equation solves itself.

as for CPU and other stuff, if i was low on money i'd get a used amd xp 2500 (barton core) and underclock fsb to 100mhz, it still has loads of processing power at silly dissipation. for bigger money, an amd 64bit 3000+ model. "cool'n'quite" works incredibly! :group-cuddles:

bring it on! :ph34r:

Hey this is strange. must be something about the celica.

I'm an IS Engineer

Ok don't get paid as much as you lot but wear a funky green and brown uniform and get to play with guns

• 2 months later...

Okie Dokie,

I've finally bought myself a car, had a couple of problems so it took me longer than expected, but I've finally done it!

In the end I didn't go with a celica, or a toyota, but I'd like to say thanks anyway to everyone who gave me advice, it was much appreciated!!

As of 8:30pm last night, I'm now the proud owner of a Jaguar XJ6 3.2 :-D

She's absolutely lovely, and has an unbelievable amount of history. If anyone wants to have a peek, I can post some pics, but I know this a toyota forum, so it'll only be by request. :P Just in case anyone fancies seeing something different!

Thanks for all your help though guys!

Matt

I didn't see that coming.

XJ6, 3.2

0-60: 9.5

BHP: 200

MAX SPEED: 131

I'd worry about the jag breaking down, not as sporty a car as I like but v. nice, different.

I didn't see that coming.

XJ6, 3.2

0-60:  9.5

BHP:  200

MAX SPEED:  131

I'd worry about the jag breaking down, not as sporty a car as I like but v. nice, different.

Ah I was worried too, but it's in exceptional condition. It was bought in my area in 1992, and has every MOT certificate it's ever had, it's got a service record up to 100,000 miles at 5,000 mile intervals, and it runs as sweet as a nut. The only blemish on the paint is on the drivers door, and theres no rust anywhere else. It's really really nice. And I love the interior. :-D

Cheers

Matt

so its not a ford mondeo hybrid then. :lol:

Almost a proper Jag. :D Congratulations on yur purchase Matt. hope it lives up to your expectations. :thumbsup:

:) Buy a Gen 5 matey.. i know of a v. nice one going cheap and well looked after :D .

Hope you find what youre after (like me and my endless search for my gt4)

hurry up tom and get a gt4 , the suspence is killing us all. ;) :thumbsup:

Ford Mondeo Hybrid indeed :P

Nah, its a proper one, looks nice too. Besides, It must be jag, it started to rain and I got soaked, the sunroof leaks like a !Removed!. It's in the garage till I get me some silicone sealant for the winter :P

Matt's Jag

Matt (with the Big Cat :arrgg-matey: ) lol

Nah, its a proper one, looks nice too.  Besides, It must be jag, it started to rain and I got soaked, the sunroof leaks like a !Removed!.  It's in the garage till I get me some silicone sealant for the winter :P

Matt's Jag

Matt (with the Big Cat  :arrgg-matey: ) lol

:eek: wtf ! you chose that thing over a celica ............. :!Removed!: o0o0o0o enjoy , hope you dont have to spend too much on it :thumbsup:

Nah, its a proper one, looks nice too.  Besides, It must be jag, it started to rain and I got soaked, the sunroof leaks like a !Removed!.  It's in the garage till I get me some silicone sealant for the winter :P

Matt's Jag

Matt (with the Big Cat  :arrgg-matey: ) lol

:eek: wtf ! you chose that thing over a celica ............. :!Removed!: o0o0o0o enjoy , hope you dont have to spend too much on it :thumbsup:

Yea! It makes a nice scary sound when you put ur foot down, theres something really nice about a 3.2 in-line six.

Matt

i bet its like the sound of petrol pumps pumping gas is it. ££££££££££ vroom ££££££££ vroom £££££££££££ vroom lmao . :lol: enjoy it mate we all live once.some just exist

Matt. Smear a generous helping of petroleum jelly (Vaseline) around the sunroof seal. It swells the rubber seal and should stop it leaking. Damned sight easier to get off than silicone too. :thumbsup:

Matt. Smear a generous helping of petroleum jelly (Vaseline) around the sunroof seal. It swells the rubber seal and should stop it leaking. Damned sight easier to get off than silicone too. :thumbsup:

Cool, I'll bear that in mind thanks. I've had to seal it anyway for now, as there's actually a hole in part of the seal, and the drainage holes for the sunroof are blocked lol. At least it's dry now!

Matt

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links