Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Charging Systems

Dame

Hi all,

I hope someone can help, I've got a major problem with the Charging system on my MK2 Turbo. Basically, the alternator died, so I took it into the garage and promptly ordered a reconned alternator which I had fitted to the car. This alternator worked for a few days then failed. We have since put on another two reconditioned alternators and a brand new one. We cannot get any of them to work. The problem now is that the Battery light is not illuminating when the ignition is turned on. We have tested the charging circuit, and it all checks out. If we earth the terminal from the alternator to the Battery light, it illuminates thus suggesting that the discharge warning circuit is working. However, we cannot get any of these alternators to charge. I'm now at a loss, the car has been off the road for two months, and this is getting serious since I need it for work. We have the workshop manuals, and every test points to there being a problem with the alternators. We have had them tested and while the reconned ones had faulty regulators, the new one checked out.

Am I missing something!!??

Cheers.

Sorry to state the Obvious - have you checked the 7.5A IGN fuse is ok and has continuity across it when removed and tested ?????

Has the Charge Warning Light bulb blown on the dash ???

If the fuse and the bulb check out ok, check for voltage on the IG2 terminal on the back of the ignition switch(Ignition switched on) and the 7.5A IGN fuse.

Then from the other side of the IGN fuse and the Charge warning light - this will prove the Charge Warning Light Circuit.

There is a diode after the bulb which could be damaged.

Are all your earth leads in the engine bay ok(cleaned and lightly greased) ??

:blink:

sorry to state the even more obvious, but hows the batery?

Thanks for the replies guys.

All fuses are fine. We have also checked the discharge circuit which also works (we can illuminate the bulb from the alternator end). The Battery is fully charged, and although the car does not charge, has plenty of power to run the engine for a sustained period of time. We have tried another (brand new) Battery with the same result.

I will have a look at the earth leads in the engine bay though, just to make sure they are all ok. I did give them the once over a few months ago and they were fine.... but I suppose it's worth another check.

Cheers,

Damien.