Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bought Some Lowering Springs

poultonjoe

just bought some springs...apex 35mm drop all round.

my question is, people with an E11 corolla...what is the offset of your alloys?

the offset on my OZ superT's are ET37 and doesnt rub at the standard height. Ive had a look as to whether they will rub when dropped and it appears very tight.

i'd just like to know what wheel offset everyone else has and what troubles they have had with this, if any.

Thanks,

Joe

Im aware that i will have to get the arches rolled if they do rub...but im just trying to put my mind at rest!

alter the standard offset too much and you'll affect the ride and handling. Obviously the narrower the track set up, the poorer the handling....think before you make any changes. Shops are quick to sell wheels without telling you that the offsets are not quite right.

alter the standard offset too much and you'll affect the ride and handling. Obviously the narrower the track set up, the poorer the handling....think before you make any changes. Shops are quick to sell wheels without telling you that the offsets are not quite right.

i didn't buy the wheels new, got them second hand in umarked condition :group-cuddles: sadly two of them are slightly marked now.

Back to my point...the recommened offset by toyota is 37 or 38-42 but numerous people on here before have complained that things have rubbed and caught even when sticking to the recommendations! I've had the rims which are 17x7.5J i believe on for 8 months now and they improved the handling 10 fold, cant wait to slap the springs on later today if it stops raining!

I just wanted to know of peoples experiences with rubbing rims and whether this could have been solved if they would have thought about the offset beforehand, my rims do not rub at the current stock height yet when i loaded the boot up with rubble to take to the tip (drastically altering my garden :wacko: ) it appeared that the rear rims would be very very close to scraping the inside of the arch, whether this is an optical illusion or not i am unsure.

I was just hoping that someone would be kind enough to tell me of issues/problems that they had. However, the springs have arrived now so i will find out myself in a few hours time!

I will post some pics in this thread also. :thumbsup:

Joe

Looks like we'll find out as you say...I reckon the fact that you've moved up from stock 5.5 or 6 rims to 7.5 is the issue here. 35-38 is the standard offset range for the Corolla and yours are within that, so cos they are wider, you've got less margin with the arches. I did have a similar problem when I had a E30, and it was too much hassle every time the car had any sort of load on it...ie passengers.. My Carina E is sorted (Apex 35mm) but only cos I have'nt gone over the top with the rims and it still has a nice stance...good luck mate.

The original rims (from the factory) on my '98 Rolla SR were 14"x6 (ET42mm). I've had 16x7 rims (ET38mm) on my Rolla with 205x45x16 tyres and they were just OK with standard suspension. When I lowered it on Eibach springs the rears rubbed with just me in - especially when going over bumps so the shocks were compressed. I sold those and replaced them with 16x7 (ET40mm) with 195x45x16 rubber and they still rubbed so I had to have the arches modified.

With all this talk of off sets and lowering etc....You've got me thinking... :wacko:

I have a set of Fensport springs which i think are 30mm drop.

I was told with my 15" wheels I wont need to do any further mods other than the fitment of the springs...

With what you guys have all just said about rubbing rear wheel arches etc, does that mean mine will when I get the springs fitted?

With all this talk of off sets and lowering etc....You've got me thinking... :wacko:

I have a set of Fensport springs which i think are 30mm drop.

I was told with my 15" wheels I wont need to do any further mods other than the fitment of the springs...

With what you guys have all just said about rubbing rear wheel arches etc, does that mean mine will when I get the springs fitted?

No, you'll be fine as the 15s aren't near as wide as 17s.... assuming the offset of your 15s falls within 35-42 offset?!

No, you'll be fine as the 15s aren't near as wide as 17s.... assuming the offset of your 15s falls within 35-42 offset?!

So what offset would a set of 17s have to be in order for them not to rub when the car is lowered? or would the arches need modifying whatever offset you get?

Cheers

Mike :thumbsup:

mines gone down 35-40mm on 17s wearing 205/40/17 tyres with an offset of ET42 and i have had no major probs exept when loaded with full boot plus 4 chunky munkeys in the car, even then it only catches on the rear arch liner and not the arch itself but some other e11 owners have reported worse rubbing problems than this i dont know why. the fronts sometimes also catch at speed (60+) but i take this as a sign to slow down as this only ever happens when travelling too fast over an unsuitable surface (bumpy as hell)

mines gone down 35-40mm on 17s wearing 205/40/17 tyres with an offset of ET42 and i have had no major probs exept when loaded with full boot plus 4 chunky munkeys in the car, even then it only catches on the rear arch liner and not the arch itself but some other e11 owners have reported worse rubbing problems than this i dont know why. the fronts sometimes also catch at speed (60+) but i take this as a sign to slow down as this only ever happens when travelling too fast over an unsuitable surface (bumpy as hell)

Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Have you just changed the springs on yours? and have you noticed an improvement in the handling?

Cheers

Mike :thumbsup:

Yes i have changed the springs to gmax springs mainly for cosmetic reasons (until i can get a "proper" kit) some people slate gmax but ive had no problems with them, the handling has been slightly improved but i put this down to a lower centre of gravity and better tyres than suspension changes i think if my wheels were any wider no matter what the size the handling would suffer, but lets face it in standard form the handling isnt go-kart like :lol:

but lets face it in standard form the handling isnt go-kart like  :lol:

:lol: Would be good if it did handle like a kart though :thumbsup:

lower and harder suspension can only help in my book :D im not fussed about ride quality.... just good handling :lol::thumbsup:

When i get mine, i'll make it go round corners better first, then make it better in a straight line :thumbsup: :D

I have a set of Pi 40mm lowering springs to fit to my AE102 so i'll let you guys know if my big fat 17" aloys rub :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links