Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help!

JT

hi

im trying to remove a red bodystripe, which is just red tape that runs through the top of the front and rear bumper, and the side mouldings. the rear bumper one came off easily, as it wasn't the original (back bumper re-sprayed not long back), ive just had some paintwork done, and they removed the front bumper section (said it was a :censor: to get off).

im now trying to get it out of the side mouldings, but it's welded on!! if you try and pick it off, it only comes away in tiny tiny fragments, and im wary of using a heat gun, as it is stuck on plastic side mouldings, which might melt.

does anyone have any suggestions?? :help:

yeah, thought about trying that. im a bit worried the heat will loosen the glue on the side mouldings, though!

does anyone know of any chemical or whatever that might loosen it (without damaging the paint, obviously! :D )

cheers guys

Side mouldings? Do you mean like pieces of trim? They should be clipped in not glued, besides you won't need to hold the hair dryer on for very long!

you wont damage the trim with a hair dryer....... think about when they sprayed your car and put it in an oven at over 350' for 20mins LOL.......

Side mouldings? Do you mean like pieces of trim? They should be clipped in not glued, besides you won't need to hold the hair dryer on for very long!

it's only the longer section on the doors that are clipped on, the other two little bits are glued. still, if they fall off ill just have to stick em back on (i dont think they will tho) ;)

Get the residue off with eucolyptus oil. Available from Boots.

glad you said that - T-Cut wasnt bringing it off.

cheers guys

a little tip from the custom/hotrod crowd thats a pretty good secret is that you can use any citric fizzy drink (Lilt, 7-up, etc) to remove glue residue etc,the citric acid eats it up a treat, just remember to rinse it off afterwards or you'll have another sticky mess to clear up....

hye bud i agree with with the lads on that one,hairdryer wont damage your car or paint job,but it will still leave a sticky ressidue,i work in place were we get asked to do jobs like that all the time,and all we use is a heat gun(but hair dryer will do fine)and once you've the label off thinners dabed on a cloth will get the sticky stuff off in double quick time.......

• 2 weeks later...

okay, im really stuck now! :crybaby:

i used a hairdryer on the stripe today, and it came off no trouble. however, i now can't get the glue off! i tried thinners, and they ended up taking some of the paint down to primer, and barely any of the glue off. i tried heating it and scraping it, but no. i put vinigar on it (thinking the acid might dissolve it) but it just made my hand smell. i even tried WD40. T-Cut wasn't bringing it off either

the only thing i've not tried is eucalyptus oil, which dosenoffner suggested, but i cant really see that working if thinners wont! :eek:

i welcome any more suggestions!!

You can buy a glue and tar remover from any good car shop..... apart from that it would be a 'old' credit card and lots of time! :blink:

Dan

jesus im sorry to hear that it went so badly for you,and i hope you dont blame me for what happened.in all the times weve done that job nothing as bad as that ever happened,except once were the car that came in had been resprayed very badly,who ever did the respray didnt bother to take off the stickers and badges he just painted around them,so there was the old red shineing through the new silver when we removed the stickers.i still cant understand though how it took off the paint unless you were putting force and pressure into your rubbing or you let the car get soaked in the thinners and let it absorb in,you could use nail varnish remover but i strongly recomend that you dont because that will damage your paint work,or you could replace the strip with one that match's the colour of you car.again im sorry to hear what's happened.

jesus im sorry to hear that it went so badly for you,and i hope you dont blame me for what happened.

course not! i had it in the back of my mind to use them anyway, tbh. the problem is that the stripe ran through a narrow recess in the middle of the side mouldings. i rubbed failry hard at the glue with the thinners, but it didnt really make much difference, except that right on the corner of the recess, ive rubbed the paint down to primer! :censor:

ill have to try some of that glue remover, then

i just wish i'd left the sodding thing on! :crybaby:

dont know if this will work but i tryed to attach a picture of my car with before and after pictures of what was on it that we removed in work one day.under the window was a glanza sticker and on the back by the reg.anyway good luck with the remover stuff but a friend of mine used that and it just destroyed his body work i.e took off all the ploish it came in contact with and he had to literally wash the car four or five times with near boiling water to get the remover off, :(

post-4-1056903423.jpg

Anybody tried these marking texts "Toyota", "Corolla" how they are clued? Is heat the answer for these too?