Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carine E 7a-fe

tharper

I have had excellent driving with a 2nd hand Carina e for 3yrs. It recently started misfiring but only when the engine is warm. I have tried several bottles of injector cleaner, replaced the distributor cap with only minor improvements. Disconnecting the leads to the injectors one by one when the fault happens shows that one of the injectors seems to work intermittantly. the same injector works fine when cold. From reading forums etc it seems that the injector can fail when warm. Any recommendations as to replace only the single injector or all of them? Current milage is 130k. Thanks in anticipation.

I have had excellent driving with a 2nd hand Carina e for 3yrs. It recently started misfiring but only when the engine is warm. I have tried several bottles of injector cleaner, replaced the distributor cap with only minor improvements. Disconnecting the leads to the injectors one by one when the fault happens shows that one of the injectors seems to work intermittantly. the same injector works fine when cold. From reading forums etc it seems that the injector can fail when warm. Any recommendations as to replace only the single injector or all of them? Current milage is 130k. Thanks in anticipation.

If you have a spare £500 you could replace them all. Otherwise I would test with the Ohmmeter when the misfire is present. It's a very straightforward procedure and can be done with a £20 Multimeter from the likes of Maplin.

You just set the multimeter to read Ohms. You disconnect the electrical couplings and test each injector has a resistance of between 14-17 Ohms across their electrical plugs. One won't and this is a dud.

If you have a spare £500 you could replace them all. Otherwise I would test with the Ohmmeter when the misfire is present. It's a very straightforward procedure and can be done with a £20 Multimeter from the likes of Maplin.

You just set the multimeter to read Ohms. You disconnect the electrical couplings and test each injector has a resistance of between 14-17 Ohms across their electrical plugs. One won't and this is a dud.

Might not be relevant but do you have the correct specification spark plugs? I read somewhere that lean burn engines run rather hotter than non lean burn engines and if normal spark plugs are used it can cause misfiring.

I had the same problem on a N plate with 120k,ran fine when cold then dropped a cylinder when warm, I replaced one injector and no problems since. As previous post when warm check resistance on suspect injector to comfirm the fault.

cheers Harvey

• 2 weeks later...

:D Hooray! Replacement injectors from the scrap yard- sorrry! Vehicle Dismantlers solved the problem

I had the same problem on a N plate with 120k,ran fine when cold then dropped a cylinder when warm, I replaced one injector and no problems since. As previous post when warm check resistance on suspect injector to comfirm the fault.

cheers Harvey