Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Happened?

Kudos+

Just been wondering lately what has happened to toyota like "going for gold" as to put it. Like its been said on here before about the new corolla t-sport is going to have (think it was 220bhp)? Like vauxhall are already milking 240bhp from there astra like wise the golf GTI has 220bhp and the alfa has 250bhp, and im sure honda will hit back soon with an even bigger engine in there civic type r. I think recently toyota are aiming poor with performance.

Likewise ford and vauxhall are shuving V6's in there mondeos and vectras whilst toyota stick a 2.0l in the avensis.

Whatever happened to the toyota what made the supra and the GT4 celica?

:(

It's the new coporate philosophy “Today for Tomorrow” They sum up this philosophy with the words “Zeronise” and “Maximise”.

"Zeronise embodies the aim to reduce the harmful effects of automobiles on the environment – including CO2 and exhaust emissions, traffic congestion and accidents – while Maximise represents our goal of providing ever-greater comfort, fun and excitement in our vehicles. That means we are ultimately striving for Zero negative impacts on our environment."

See also PaulT's thread The Future

Can't say I blame them myself - they're just leading the way. All the other big manufacturers will follow.

The big "Toyota" releases this year are the Aygo and the two Lexus hybrids all of which fit with this philosophy.

They'll probably also keep refining VVTL-i technology to produce reasonably efficient performance cars, but I don't think we'll see another Supra like we've seen before; instead there will probably be a performance hybrid on sale at some time in the not too distant future.

Good news is that the older performance cars will become more valuable because there won't be many new ones on the market that can offer the performance that we used to enjoy in the past.

I'm not sure if the smaller manufacturers like TVR and Noble will be forced to go down this route though. If not there will still be some exotic cars on the market, but I doubt they will be Toyotas.

Not sure why, if there's any truth in all this, Toyota is pursuing Formula 1. I don't think it fits so well if you're not selling performance cars. Maybe they'll make a Hybrid F1 car?

Tony

To me fun car doesn't have to be outright performance.

Toyota have made some affordable fun cars in the past, MK1 MR2 and the RA28 Celica,

1977ToyotaCelica2000RA28.jpg

this generation of Celica is probably the slowest of all the generations but people love it because of it's retro Mustang looks, truely a bit of fun. :D

Like vauxhall are already milking 240bhp from there astra like wise the golf GTI has 220bhp and the alfa has 250bhp                                                :(

The Golf GTi only has 197BHP. As seen on top gear over the weekend, the 240BHP produced by the Astra is wasted as it can't get the power down due to the fact that it's FWD. The torque steer was stupid, it just wouldn't go in a straigt line. The megane 225 with 222BHP went round the track quicker than the astra, so a better chassis is better than too much power.

I think Toyota need to go up to 225BHP with the CTS and improve on the Chassis to make it a better performance car.

:thumbsup:

Well thanks for your replys guys! I must agree with you on that twincam u dnt hav to hav a high performance car to have fun. I like that celica, never seen that one before.

Yeh i seen top gear and fair enough vvtl-i the astra would have been pointless round bends and on a track, but you did see what happened on the drag race, left the others standing. Would just be nice to know the corolla T-sport was king over its competetors. My point is though id be pretty cheesed of if i got blew of at the lights by another hatch in my price range. Suppose when the new t-sport does come out it might suprise us all. :)

a better chassis is better than too much power.

I think Toyota need to go up to 225BHP with the CTS and improve on the Chassis to make it a better performance car.

:thumbsup:

I'll second that :thumbsup:

Spot on! :thumbsup:

Mike

Toyota need to stop been stupid and start putting turbo's back onto there cars again. Only Toyota and Honda are failing to realise that turbo cars are back and there is a definite market for them again :thumbsup:

jerry!!

I know what your sayin but even when they were buildin supra's, celicas they were still making corolla's and other family cars with lower emissions. if they start building faster cars that dont meet emmissions and that its not gonna be that harmfull yet as they are still gonna be buildin the prirus and yaris which arnt gonna pollute the atmosphere as bad. only a few people would buy supra's, celicas the rest would still buy the more efficient cars toyota offer. you could still have performance on end of the scale and hybrid on the other end. bet that dont make sence oh well.

I know what your sayin but even when they were buildin supra's, celicas they were still making corolla's and other family cars with lower emissions. if they start building faster cars that dont meet emmissions and that its not gonna be that harmfull yet as they are still gonna be buildin the prirus and yaris which arnt gonna pollute the atmosphere as bad. only a few people would buy supra's, celicas the rest would still buy the more efficient cars toyota offer. you could still have performance on end of the scale and hybrid on the other end. bet that dont make sence oh well.