Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Celica St182 (1994)

Uncle GXi

Hello all, sorry haven't got round to changing my name on here yet! Just got an ST182 Celica GTi on an L plate ('94) although I assume the car was made in '93.

Right, bit of a problem. The car is generally in pretty good nick for the age and mileage (just shy of 130,000!) but having minor grief with the engine. It starts perfectly (and certainly hasn't broken down) so the problem is more an annoyance than anything else. I recently had a service done which including timing belt, other drive belts, new plugs, oil, filters and rocker cover gasket (which was leaking oil).

However, the car is running lumpy. Idling is erratic, with noticible vibrations as it varies between 800-1200 RPM. Also, when accelerating, the car is pinking (at least I believe that is the term). It sorts of stutters and jerks a bit, especially at lower engine speeds (please note that I can drive OK and the car is in the right gear :D )

Any suggestions? Is it a dodgy batch of fuel or does the timing or something need to be adjusted?

Cheers.

It sounds like you have a misfire, rather than pinking. This could also explain the idling problem. Strange that it's still there after replacing so many ignition components though. :blink: Was it OK before you changed these parts?

The erratic idle could also be caused by a gunked up or faulty idle control valve. Try cleaning that out. Have you done a compression test on the engine?

Im chasing the same problem on my 185. I have rebuilt the engine, new timing components incl. w/pump, new cap, rotor, platinum plugs, leads, filters everything pretty much.

I might look at the ignition module and maybe oxy sensor next?! Any other ideas?? Thing is it runs fine once you take off. Got me screwed. :wacko:

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll start giving these a try on the weekend.

I should add that it did not have this problem before going in for the service, but it didn't perform as well before. Acceleration was quick to pick up in any gear at any RPM. The mechaniac at the place I took it to said that this was done to filthy spark plugs covered in oil from the leaking valve cover gasket.

Doesn't explain why there is a problem now, though! I'll give it till the weekend, see if it sorts itself out, then I'll do an ECU reset.

I'll post results back here!

Cheers again everyone.

Iv'e got a similar problem with eratic idle. How do you clean out the idle control valve?

Would putting redex in the fuel tank cause any problems??

Iv'e got a similar problem with eratic idle.  How do you clean out the idle control valve?

Would putting redex in the fuel tank cause any problems??

If you put too much in it`ll make your exhaust smell like week old socks. :lol:

Take the valve off and spray some carburettor cleaner through it. Might have to do it a few times if it`s really gunky. :thumbsup:

Doesn't explain why there is a problem now, though! I'll give it till the weekend, see if it sorts itself out, then I'll do an ECU reset.

An ECU reset will definitely give you an erratic idle, for a short time at least while it re-learns the ICV characteristics (thats all the ECU 'learns' on the gen 5 anyway).

An ECU reset will definitely give you an erratic idle, for a short time at least while it re-learns the ICV characteristics (thats all the ECU 'learns' on the gen 5 anyway).

So me trying to get it to learn to make coffee won`t work then????? :wacko:

maybe the garage gapped the plugs , something i never do , outa the box and in is my motto. :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links