Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Break Down Cover...

Jamesb4uk

Hi guys,

i've been a member of the RAC under my parents name since i started driving, i've had to use them a few times & to be honest i'm happy with their service....

heres the deal..

i've recently moved in with my girlfriend & since changed my address on my license & car registration so i can't carry on under my parents name.

i'm after other peoples opinions of other break down firms such as AA, Green Flag etc.

J

a few years ago I was with the AA on their basic package (they'll try and fix your car and if they can't they'll tow you to the nearest garage).

I broke down 100 miles from home with a broken head gasket and it's then I realised that I should have paid the extra £20 to get the "Relay" package as the guy said he was going to tow my car to the nearest garage (I was on my way to Uni with a car full of stuff at the time. obviously not an ideal situation), it was 1 am and I had no money until I got to Uni to pick up my grant cheque (I didn't have an overdraft either).

When I explained my plight to the guy he was really understanding. Obviously told me that this is why the basic package was a false economy etc. but then said he wasn't supposed to do it, buthe would let me upgrade to the relay there and then, which would mean I could get the car towed home. Next thing he found out a flatbed was in the area and was passing my way so it was no great shakes for hime to go out of his way to pick me up and drop me off at home.

Basically, they were brilliant considering they could have just left me at the side of the road, but they didn't and did everything to get me home.

So yeah, breakdown cover is worth it, but make sure you pay the extra for the free ride home cos you may need it one day. Saying all that, what's the level of cover that comes as part of the "Club Toyota" membership? cos from the sound of it it's a good deal and I keep meaning to join up again just for the cheap RAC breakdown cover (last time I looked it was £55 a year for the club membership with inclusive breakdown cover)

I'm with the AA.

Haven't had to use it yet, but for about £89 I get relay and rescue cover.

If the car were to break at home, I can just roll it downhill, down the road, 1/4 mile away.... :D

I'm with the AA.

Haven't had to use it yet, but for about £89 I get relay and rescue cover.

If the car were to break at home, I can just roll it downhill, down the road, 1/4 mile away.... :D

What about your Club Toyota roadside assistance you got with your Yaris??

Hmm <has a look for Club Toyota :bookworm: >

Mehh - i'll have to call em.... they dont have the Cynos listed :lol:...

J

I had RAC for years, and when at college/uni used them once or twice - couldnt fault them...

For the first 3 years of having the Lex, i didnt bother, but i got a 2 for 1 offer from the RAC, and since the missues had an older car, i got it...

Only £30, for full cover for both of us (doesnt include homestart - and we have to be a mile from the house or something) so worth having just as an insurance...

Club toyota is near as damn it the RAC cover.

I think the only difference is that it covers the car, and not the driver.

as in they will leave you at the roadside? i didnt think they did that

:lol::lol:

no...

As in, it covers just 1 car - whereas standard RAC will cover you regardless of the car you in (even if your a passenger)

no...

As in, it covers just 1 car - whereas standard RAC will cover you regardless of the car you in (even if your a passenger)

aaaaaaaaah i get it now! thought it was wrong somehow!

That made my morning. :lol:

Think I'll stay with what i've got.

I'm with R.A.C, I have a 3 vehicle Rescue/Recovery package.

That means regardless of whos driving any of the vehicles (other family members or even if lent to friends) then they will still come out as it is the reg number thats registered. I 've been with R.A.C (Always with this package) since 1988.

I have to say i've found R.A.C superb.

What about your Club Toyota roadside assistance you got with your Yaris??

I got it with the car, but already had AA cover from last August.

This is why I've got the AA cover as well Em, as it'll cover me, and not a single vehicle, so my bike, or any vehicle I'm a driver or passenger in is covered.

;)

I am with the AA, I think they are pretty useless...

Most of the recent mechanics I have had on call outs are spanner monkeys, the classic example was the guy that was conviced a supra with a spun big end and seized crank was a case of a "stuck starter motor" he started beating the starter motor with a big stick to start it... I pointed out to him, that even if the starter WAS seized, why would that have stopped me half way thorught my journey???? I have also had them try and sell me new batterys to cure stuck imobiliser relays (even though my incar volt meter showed the Battery was fine)

I also got a very snotty letter from them last year saying I had used them four times that year, if I need them again, I will have to PAY EXTRA!!! Hardly impressive service!!!!

The worst time was when my runaround engine seized (probe V6).. I asked fora tow triuck as a van cannot mend a knackered bottom end.. a van came... over an hour later a flat bed came... 15 minutes into my journey home he informed me his shift was over, and he would leave me at oxford services, and call another truck to bring me home... I then had to wait at oxford services for another hour before the second tow truck came!!!!

The funny thing is every one that picks me up tried to recruit me as staff!!! :lol:

Karma Supra Posted Yesterday, 09:33 PM

Most of the recent mechanics I have had on call outs are spanner monkeys, the classic example was the guy that was conviced a supra with a spun big end and seized crank was a case of a "stuck starter motor" he started beating the starter motor with a big stick to start it... I pointed out to him, that even if the starter WAS seized, why would that have stopped me half way thorught my journey???? I have also had them try and sell me new batterys to cure stuck imobiliser relays (even though my incar volt meter showed the battery was fine)

The worst time was when my runaround engine seized (probe V6).. I asked fora tow triuck as a van cannot mend a knackered bottom end.. a van came... over an hour later a flat bed came... 15 minutes into my journey home he informed me his shift was over, and he would leave me at oxford services, and call another truck to bring me home... I then had to wait at oxford services for another hour before the second tow truck came!!!!

That is terrible (with regard to trying to sell you batterys ... commision on mechanics bonus?).

I also got a very snotty letter from them last year saying I had used them four times that year, if I need them again, I will have to PAY EXTRA!!! Hardly impressive service!!!!

As for this i think you will find you are entitiled to 8 callouts a year (over 10 on multi vehicle policies) before they consider charging; providing it's not a same fault (e.g you call them out for flat Battery...told to change it ... you dont and two days later you call them out again for a flat Battery!).

Thanks for this post! it reminded me that I really should get some cover (seeing as its a 400 mile round trip to work and back).

Consequently I've just blown £55 on a years subs to Club Toyota! It's a shame there's no TOC breakdown cover thrown in for goldies (or maybe introduce a platinum membership)! Do you think RAC or green flag would even consider such a thing?

As for this i think you will find you are entitiled to 8 callouts a year (over 10 on multi vehicle policies) before they consider charging; providing it's not a same fault (e.g you call them out for flat battery...told to change it ... you dont and two days later you call them out again for a flat battery!).

All four calls had been for blown bottom ends.... but all on different cars!!!

Im with RAC i get it all free for me and 5 other family members. think its the everything package. had to call them not long back for my step dads kit car (clutch had discombobulated) they just put it on a truck and took it home. they took dead good care of it too as its really low and not alot of towing space to get the whinch in. really good service.

Karma Supra Posted Today, 10:48 AM

All four calls had been for blown bottom ends.... but all on different cars!!!

4 bottom ends in 1 year ...is that a record?

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: