Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tns 200 Sat Nav Usage

ben_e71

Would be interested in your views......

Do any of you use your TNS 200 a lot? I do as I am on the road quite a bit so use it probably two times a week.

However, it does do weird things with regards to routing and I'm never really sure it is finding me the correct route... last week I had it on as I was pretty sure how to get to my destination but wanted to make sure and it definitely on two occasions tried to make me tunr left which was nowhere near my destination.

What in your experiences is the best setup of the options etc.....

Mine at the moment is only slightly better than me drunk with a map......

Do any of you use your TNS 200 a lot? I do as I am on the road quite a bit so use it probably two times a week.

However, it does do weird things with regards to routing and I'm never really sure it is finding me the correct route... last week I had it on as I was pretty sure how to get to my destination but wanted to make sure and it definitely on two occasions tried to make me tunr left which was nowhere near my destination.

I know the feeling, i bought my 2001 Avensis a few months ago & was quite excited at the thought of a car with sat nav, however i hardly ever use it as i find it to be worse than useless! It constantly gets routes wrong & despite getting the latest 2003 disc i still have to rely on my old road map

Steve

I've never had any problems using the fastest route option in preference to the shortest route which does give some odd directions in my experience.

I've never had any problems using the fastest route option in preference to the shortest route which does give some odd directions in my experience.

I'd agree with that. By mistake I had it set for shortest route last weekend around Filey and ended up going down what appeared to be a farmers track. Good job no one was using their satnav to come the other way.

I only have the 2001 edition, but I don't think the actual routing is very good. Seems to get me there but not always the quickest route.

I much prefer TomTom Navigator, especially with the speed camera databases installed!

Mike.

Mike I agree drove all the way round Ashford the other day when I knew it could go straight through.

I also only use the shortest route option and don't have any problems with that.

However one thing to note about SatNav is that it will never pick the same route you would pick using local knowledge, and it tends to want to use major roads compared to back streets.

This I can say however, that you can never be lost if you have a Sat Nav system, you might be late, but you will arrive! :thumbsup:

I use mine most of the time but always check a map route first. I have the TNS 200 and it has taken me some weird routes at times. Even up a private road which was too rough for normal car traffic. From Hereford to Aylesbury it took me to Birmingham and then back via the M40. I have used the shortest route and fastest route options and I found the fastest route always took me on to motorways even though the map route using A roads was faster. At times it has been a real help especially in cities finding a particular road. The system did not find Thornton Cleveleys near Blackpool when I needed it though!!!

I use mine most of the time but always check a map route first. I have the TNS 200 and it has taken me some weird routes at times. Even up a private road which was too  rough for normal car traffic. From Hereford to Aylesbury it took me to Birmingham and then back via the M40.  I have used the shortest route and fastest route options and I found the fastest route always took me on to motorways even though the map route using A roads was faster. At times it has been a real help especially in cities finding a particular road. The system did not find Thornton Cleveleys near Blackpool when I needed it though!!!

Chris have you been driving my car :D

I still would like to know if there is going to be a new CD out for TNS 200 system in 2006. If there is perhaps it would be more accurate than the present one in my vehicle. If the CD is not updated it seems we will be making the TNS 200 system redundant?????

Today (Aug 24th)I have been asured by Toyota customer care that ther will be a new CD out for TNS 200 in 2006.

I am buying Tom Tom 300 it will be better as you can update it on line.

Today (Aug 24th)I have been asured by Toyota customer care that ther will be a new CD out for TNS 200 in 2006.

I thought the TNS 200 used DVD, am I wrong? An update would be welcome though.

I thought the TNS 200 used DVD, am I wrong? An update would be welcome though.

looking at the brochure for the avensis it says its a cd-rom, also if my dad uses the sat nav he has a few problems i never encounterd any when i used it till i found out i use shortest route dad uses fastest route.

Your experiences are interesting......

Last weekend I set my TNS 200 to take me from Brum to Norfolk Broads. The fastest route took me down M6, M1, M25, M11, A11. My first thoughts were "What the F :censor: k is it doing".

I set it then for shortest route & gave me the same result.

I then decided to add some "way points" to take me the route I thought would be best. It then took me the correct route, IMO.

I suppose what I'm saying is, Use the way point option if you want the system to take you closer to the route you know. If you do not know the route, look it up first in an Atlas/ A-Z & select some way points.

It's not one of the best systems, but it's better to have it at your fingertips, if needed!!

I've just upgraded form 2001 disc to 2003. I'll see if it improves with this, my guess is.......it will NOT.

Your experiences are interesting......

Last weekend I set my TNS 200 to take me from Brum to Norfolk Broads.  The fastest route took me down M6, M1, M25, M11, A11.  My first thoughts were "What the F :censor: k is it doing".

I set it then for shortest route & gave me the same result.

I then decided to add some "way points" to take me the route I thought would be best.  It then took me the correct route, IMO.

I suppose what I'm saying is, Use the way point option if you want the system to take you closer to the route you know.  If you do not know the route, look it up first in an Atlas/ A-Z & select some way points.

It's not one of the best systems, but it's better to have it at your fingertips, if needed!!

I've just upgraded form 2001 disc to 2003.  I'll see if it improves with this, my guess is.......it will NOT.

in my opinion it is worse with the 2003 disc than the 2001 one. Also seems to vary between systems. My wife's system seems a lot better than mine (both identical apparantly) and is quicker at finding satellites as well which may be the answer.

This week my TNS 200 told me to stay right when I needed to turn off left for the M25. It then instructed me to do a U turn I then I had a 4 mile trek back then back again 4 miles. Guess what!! It got it right the second time. How does that happen?

The system can be useful but at times costs you money in extra miles. Mine is set to fastest route. I have also set my average speeds the same as the TNS 300 system DVD. I am told this makes a difference to the route it selects.

By the way I am assured a new CD is out next year by then I will have got Tom Tom I hope.

Tom Tom for me, I reckon mine has helped no end, although some routing does still me wondering.

From North Devon to Milton keynes last week.

M5 Birmingham

M42-M6-M1 Milton Keynes

That was fastest route. 32 miles longer than my normal route, but was actually, marginally, quicker. passenger was well fed up with all the motorway driving though <_<

This week my TNS 200 told me to stay right when I needed to turn off left for the M25. It then instructed me to do a U turn I then I had a 4 mile trek back then back again 4 miles. Guess what!!  It got it right the second time. How does that happen?

The system can be useful but at times costs you money in extra miles. Mine is set to fastest route. I have also set my average speeds the same as the TNS 300 system DVD. I am told this makes a difference to the route it selects.

By the way I am assured a new CD is out next year by then I will have got Tom Tom I hope.

Chris what have you set speeds to?

ben e71. I got them from the chap who delivered my car at the last service. I will get them for you tomorrow. I have just finished work for this evening so watch this space.

Interesting to hear your options of the toyota sat nav.

I have a T3-X and wondered at the time of purchase if I should get it, bt couldn't afford it as an option.

Since then, my company has given me a mio 168 which is a pda running windows pocket pc. It has a GPS antenna built in and runs a piece of software called co-pilot.

I have to say it's been fantastic. It comes with a car cradle, and i have used it extensively over the last 4 months or so. Never got a route wrong. In fact n all that time it's over ever mis-directed me once (which was the wrong exit of a roundabout).

it has a full colour screen, male or female speech. Place of interest (filling stations, hospitals, restaurants etc), and is freely updatable from Alk's website. At only £400.00 complete with a 1gb SD card, it has to be one of the best value units yet.

Better still, when I arrive at my destination, I can use it as a PDA, and check email (via Outlook) spreadsheets (via excel). It will play AVI movies and mp3's.

all in all a cracking unit, and can be taken into my next car.

Just my two penneth.

Andrew

As promised here are the following average speeds set on my TNS 200 system:

Motorway 60MPH

Country Road 40MPH.

Urban Road 20MPH.

:thumbsup:

As promised here are the following average speeds set on my TNS 200 system:

Motorway 60MPH

Country Road 40MPH.

Urban Road 20MPH.

:thumbsup: cheers fella.

Only just having bought a 2002 Avensis with TNS our experience is that it can sometimes send you strange routes, but our disc is only 2001 so new roads are missed!

Having said that does anyone have a later disc they are willing to sell?

Chris Taylor

Hi Chris,

I suggest you wait until next year and get an updated disc if you really want one.

My disc is 2003 and I still get the same problems you have. The M6 Toll is NOT on my disc but the 2005 disc does have the M6 toll road but that I am informed is the only difference.

I want to get TOM TOM but I cannot afford it yet as I have just had to pay car tax and insurance.

If you can afford it Chris get TOM TOM you can update it from the web free of charge.