Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can Anyone Get More Than 32mpg?

sjrainsford

Hi peeps, was just wondering really. Can anyone actually get more than about 32 miles to the gallon out of their mk1 Rav?

I regularly go on a run out and can never get it above 32 which I thought was strange especially as I don't go above 60mph that often in it or 3000rpm.

However, I was concerned that maybe there is something not quite right cause it seems to pull funnily when accelerating, not exactly smooth. Also it won't go above 5000 rpm when revved, even though the rev counter red lines at 6000.

Is it just me? It would be nice to have just a small amount of extra power too.

Any advice would be appreciated! :thumbsup:

only had over 30 once

When the wife drove around Scotland

normally 25-28

ill check today on the RPM

So my fuel consumption isn' that bad then really! That's pleasing to know!

Still unsure about the lack of go though. It just doesn't feel right, I know the car is heavy though.

So it goes over 5000rpm easily then? It's like mine loses interest at that point, whereas below that it accelerates quite well. Or could this be because they are tuned for torque more than power?

MPG - I find my 2000 GX Petrol quite heavy on fuel, but then the reviews said RAV was a family sized 4x4 with hot hatch performance and I like to dirve it that way!

It certainly catches out unexpecting little boys in their dinky cars.

Revving problem - I take it you've checked the obvious like plugs and leads, air filter and intake, throttle ? Little things can make a huge difference!

examples from personal experience:

1. neighbours motorbike would not run on dry days, fine in the wet

solution - do not store waterproofs under the seat in the air intake (admittedly it was just the right sized space for a pair of plastic overtrousers)

2. Automatic would not rev, and kick down seemed to have stopped working

solution - remove rolled up saggy carpet from behind the accellerator pedal!

Mal

Thanks for that mate. But it won't be sommat silly unfortunately, cause i've checked most things I can think of.

Was kinda hoping someone would have had experience of this engine really.

Oh well, it runs fine apart from being a little jerky though and is aparently not too bad on fuel either!

:thumbsup:

My XT4 (2004 model) does about 28 to 30 MPG on combined driving which is my daily commute. If I take it onto the open road and stick between 60 anf 70 mph I get about 38 to 40 MPG from it.

Those are calculated figures, not figures form the trip "computer" which never was very accurate. Since they changed my head unit (CD changer fault) the computer has been more accurate but still not perfect.

However, if I drive it like a boy racer :P the MPG drops quite heavily :)

I thought it would be better on the newer ones.

Am looking forward to the point in time when I can afford one. I like mine though, its a nice car if a little noisy. It's the only car i've ever driven that doesn't give me back trouble!

If your car is revved rarely it could be that she just needs a good run and a bit of a push... Found with many car's if they are driven to 'carefully' to much of the time they get in the habit of acting like that permnanently until they are given a good hiding :D

Go on.. Blow the cobwebs out :D

Don't worry, I blow the cobwebs out once in a while! :D

Until I notice the fuel guage falling... :eek:

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys

I have no clue what all this MPG stuff is all about. I'm new school ( litres not gallons ).

I'm getting about 280 miles before my reserve light comes on :blink:

For 280 miles I have to put in 50 odd litres. Does this sound about right. I think its a bit heavy. I used to have a 2.2 Camry and that used to get me about 340 miles until the reserve light.... That is nearly 60 miles more and it was a 2.2 motor. :huh::huh::huh:

I've got a 1998 GX 2.0 :wub:

Many thanks

Darren

He he! That's the problem with the way things are in britain at the moment, we're only half metric. So to work out your fuel you either end up converting the litres to gallons, or the miles to killometers to get something meaningful.

With what you have told me, 50 litres is near enough 11 gallons therefore if I divide the amount of miles you do by the 11 gallons you get 25 miles to the gallon. Which is 5 miles to the gallon worse than myself, but would be quite acceptable if all you do is town driving. My driving normally incorporates A road and motorways so I tend to get the best out of my cars.

With respect to your camry, this is a totally different car. It would be geared differently maybe and is much more aerodynamic than the brick that we call the Rav4. I would hazard a guess that the camry may well be a little lighter too if yours is a 4 door Rav4.

Hi peeps, was just wondering really.  Can anyone actually get more than about 32 miles to the gallon out of their mk1 Rav?

I regularly go on a run out and can never get it above 32 which I thought was strange especially as I don't go above 60mph that often in it or 3000rpm.

However, I was concerned that maybe there is something not quite right cause it seems to pull funnily when accelerating, not exactly smooth.  Also it won't go above 5000 rpm when revved, even though the rev counter red lines at 6000.

Is it just me?  It would be nice to have just a small amount of extra power too.

Any advice would be appreciated! :thumbsup:

I've got 34.76mpg!! :D I was really trying to beat my boyfriend's best, who has a Nissan 200SX! And I did it! Normally get about 30ish. :P

Wow, nice one! Bet that was boring driving!! :lol:

Wow, nice one!  Bet that was boring driving!!  :lol:

Yeah it was but was definatley worth it to see the look on my boyfriends face when he worked it out for me!!! :lol:

Is it a two door you have by the way, or 4?

Just wondering cause the two door should theoretically do a little more to the gallon than a long wheel base due to the weight advantage.

Everyone will be removing everything to get a couple of extra mpg!!

Theres the :-

parcel shelf

rear seats

owners manual

CD collection (although lighter than cassettes!)

only fill the windscreen washers reservoir half full

Or if you fancy taking a risk:-

the spare wheel

the jack etc..

even the spare fuses...

Or you could always go on a diet!! :eek:

I always start out driving with good intentions, watching the current mpg and trying to keep it over 30 but it always goes the way of the heavy foot :P

That's my mpg down the drain then, cause mines got extra soundproofing too!

I wouldn't say it's bad on fuel anyway, 30mpg is quite acceptable considering the cars weight. It has always felt like it could do with a 6th gear though.

I'm changing my job after crimbo from a 25 mile run to about 5 mile, so that will help no end!! :lol:

Well in comparison to a Yaris I expect it is useless on fuel! :lol:

Work out what it's doing to give you a proper idea. Mind you, you've got an earlier one with distributor havent you?

Is it a two door you have by the way, or 4?

Just wondering cause the two door should theoretically do a little more to the gallon than a long wheel base due to the weight advantage.

Mines a 2 door!

naturally alot depends on the way you drive. And sometimes people think they are driving economically when they are in fact not.

If you are doing short runs, ie <10mile then you can forget it altogether. There are lot's of other factors you can sort yourself though too like tyre pressures, and engine oil etc.

As an example, on a 3S-FE with distributorless ignition, I get average 30mpg. That's a five door with tyres at 28psi, and 10/40 semi synthetic engine oil. And as I said I drive on mostly A roads and motorways. If I do the usual runabouts when not at work this can drop to about 25.

But with doing both the run abouts and 70% A road driving, over a full tank it's always 29 - 31mpg.

I know how to get over 32MPG, get a Diesel D4D, I get over 40 MPG, on a regular basis, and taht is not taking it easy!. B)

I know how to get over 32MPG, get a Diesel D4D, I get over 40 MPG, on a regular basis, and taht is not taking it easy!. B)

I get 45mpg out of my 1.8 VVT-I Avensis! You can get RAV's now with the 1.8 engine...........if economy is what you are after.

When my wife had her 1998 RAV, she was getting 80 miles from £15 of fuel............25-26 mpg!! :ffs: That's why I got rid. Mostly stop/start driving though. I would have been happy with 30 mpg.

manwithwhitevan , I'm over in Cyprus next year, End of July. Holiday in Pernera, love it over there.

Maybe meet up for a beer. :thumbsup: