Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Petrol Tank Trouble

cookpass

Hello all!

First it's polite to say hi, so hi! :)

Here's my problem, and I'm finding it kinda worrying....

I have a red 1993 "L" ST182 2.0 GTi with 69k on it, and very nice it is too, best car I've had since my manta exclusive I think!

Anyway.... I went in the garage for it yesterday and there was a really strong whiff of petrol coming from the garage. On closer inspection it seemed that the petrol was coming from the tank area and when I got underneath, the leak seemed to be coming from near the top of the it.

I opened the inspection hatch and that was all dry where the sensors are, but it seemed to have a good coverage of damp (petrol) over the back end of it.

The tank was actually looking a bit on the rotten side, so basically my question, after all this rambling is.... Is it easy to get a replacement petrol tank for it?

Thanks in advance :D

1 - Welcome to TOC :thumbsup:

and

2 - I can't answer that one - hopefully there will be someone along soon who can :thumbsup:

plenty of places do reconditioned tanks , in return for your old one , usually around £100 +

OR

dont fil it up to the top = find a happy level :thumbsup:

I have a red 1993 "L" ST182 2.0 GTi with 69k on it, and very nice it is too, best car I've had since my manta exclusive I think!

I hope that's meant to be a joke! :lol:

Don`t think so mike. I had three Manta GTE`s and they were a good car in their day. Bit long in the tooth even then but entertaining enough. And so easy to work on :D

As for the tank. The filler pipe tends to crumble so it`s prob best not to fill it up to much. :thumbsup:

Don`t think so mike. I had three Manta GTE`s and they were a good car in their day. Bit long in the tooth even then but entertaining enough. And so easy to work on :D

As for the tank. The filler pipe tends to crumble so it`s prob best not to fill it up to much. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help guys (and gals?) I'll get it looked at on Monday and see what I need to do. I was just wondering if there was anything I could do in the meantime really...

Its on a quarter tank in at the moment so i'll not put too much in, but it drinks it like nobody's business!

As for the Manta, looking back they were basic, but fun. I had two and that Exclusive was a nice looking motor for its day. All this coupled with an added touch of the rose tinted glasses of course :D

I do love the Celica though, still turns heads!

As a footnote and in case its of use to someone else....

I took it to the local garage to get an opinion and he showed me that the seam on the tank had in fact gone, and would need a new tank.

He phoned the pattern part places, they didn't have the tank on record. (I was there at the time, so I know he wasn't pulling a fast one).

Last resort was phoning Toyota and looking into getting one that way. After parting with the VIN number they said it would cost £209.86 + VAT and would take 4 days.

Not sure what I'm going to do yet, I just had a new rad on it and I seem to be throwing money at it at the moment....

Anyway, thanks again for your help one and all :D

there are pattern part places all over the uk not just near you , search the web .

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links