Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hello Im New To The Site - Timing Belt

Kom_2rev2

hello peeps

im new to the site, but not new to turbo cars!

iv just bought an mr2 rev2 turbo, and its cambelt is due for a change. doesnt look like it can be done with the engine in, can it be tilted up?

il be completing the task tommorow and just wondering if anybody has an tips and advise?

thanks

komi

Don't have to take engine out... it just requires a fair bit of patience, and the ability to get to some nightmare 10mm bolts!!!

Check the cam belt tensioner too. If any doubt whatsoever, replace it. In fact, I'd replace it anyway for ~£30.

This might help...

tbDiag.jpg

Good luck mate. Check and check again everything you do... you don't want an expensive mistake.

:thumbsup:

yes mate iv bought both tensioners as i might aswell change the lot as it being opened up.

do u not even need to tilt the engine up? its seem very tight to leave it as it is?

cheers

No need to tilt the engine, just watch your spanners and knuckles on the intercooler. Might be just as easy to take it out. I didn't, but in hindsight (sp?) I would.

I have watched my ex-Toyota mechanic do this without removing the engine. He removes the two side engine mounts, lifts the car and then places a steel bar or block of wood under the cam-belt side of the engine and lowers the car so the engine is tilted for easier access. Best be sure the engine mounts are up to this before attempting it though... :unsure:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links