Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replace Drum Brakes?

Griffyn

Hi there how much would it cost to replace the drum brakes on the rear of the yaris to discs? As soon i am going to change the front disc and pads for some better ones for slighty better braking but would prefer discs all round but font know how much this will cost and where to look. If u have any ideas then let me know :thumbsup:

Cheers

Okay....shame some discs would have looked better than the drums behind some 16s, well when i get them, lol.

You can get false rear discs.

It’s a ventilated thin plate designed to look like a rear disc you put between the wheel and hub.

Gotta to be honest they look rather obvious (as in they are obviously not disc brakes!)

Mate find a scrapped T-sport, biofotos has done the same thing to his, has taken the discs off a T-sport and put on his 1.0l Turbo

Mate find a scrapped T-sport, biofotos has done the same thing to his, has taken the discs off a T-sport and put on his 1.0l Turbo

are the brake lines already there for you to add the discs and calipers?

Sounds like a lot of work for discs on the back. Altho biofotos is best 2 ask so hopefully he will respond soon! LOL

Those fake discs sound tacky as hell m8! :lol:

Oh, come on ! Fake discs ? I thought you were better than that !

In my car I found a whole rear axle from a scrapped TS and transplanted it complete with the discs, calipers and brake lines. I only had to readjust the braking-force-distributor (is this the right word ?). Also, replaced the brake pads with Mintex because the ones that came with it, had too much sea salt on them :blink: All these, costed me 500 euros. 2 hours job !

The only thing that you have to keep in mind after that, is that if you ever decide to replace your shocks you must replace them for the ones for TSport. The reason for that is that the "base" on the axle which is for the shock to be mounted is 2mm thicker. But I think that is for good, since TS has an uprated suspension after all !!!

The breaking is certainly upgraded. Go for it, after all, safety first B)

When I looked into this years ago with other cars I was always told not to bother - better to spend the money uprating the fronts as front wheel drive cars use the front discs far move heavily.

When I looked into this years ago with other cars I was always told not to bother - better to spend the money uprating the fronts as front wheel drive cars use the front discs far move heavily.

Yeah, i was talking to a bloke with a celica and he had a big disk conversion at the front

and i said "are you doing the back?" and he said no,

becuase the car doesnt brake any more now, it just stops :lol:

and besides the the back brakes hardly do anything compared to the front

Maybe...

But they look great throught the alloys! :P

On a FF car, normally, it's at least 70% of the braking power at the front wheels. Whack some braided lines on, better pads, maybe discs and that'll stop you good and proper... about £200 maybe??

Oh, a rear drum to disc conversion is around the £1500 mark as there is a LOT of work involved.

Why you need better brakes?? Make it faster, then worry about stopping it!

How hard/esay are braided lines to fit? And dumb question what is the advantage im not really 100% sure.....something along the lines of less brake fade?

Im going to change pads and discs soon, when i change alloys and lower car....might as well while i change wheels HAHA.

Was more for asthetics tbh.....bcos as u say most of the braking is done at the front...and cos its a light car upgrading front brakes will make it stop quicker :thumbsup:

Yeah - the standard brake lines are a sort of rubber compound - which when the brakes and brake fluid inside them gets warm, change shape or 'bulge' with repeated use. This in turn leads to the fade that you feel after a coupla hard braking sessions.

The braided ones are tougher and more resistant to the heat due to the metal braiding ... in addition if you use a performance brake fluid with a higher boiling temperature you get less of the same problem.

Bang for buck I reckon the braided lines and performance fluid is the most effective mod you can buy.

Took my local place a coupla hours to fit them ... but to be fair that was a fairly young mechanic with me 'helping'

The results are immediately noticeable after a few hard brakes the pedal has no fade whatsoever.