Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Are You Male Or Female?! If So...

silvasurfa

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• silvasurfa

• Demonic Angel

• GIDDLEPIN

• Gnome

oui madam!

Ahhh sorry, nowwww I get it! lol

Wish my boyfriend would take me to Cuba..... (hint hint Rich - I dont think he's even read this post! lol)

btw, sorry for being rude..... CONGRATULATIONS! Shes a lucky gal! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cheers Dem, I'm a lucky man!!!

By the way... she might be gettin a yaris :yes:

Mike :thumbsup:

Maybe you've bought the ring already, but if not I could spurt out a couple of things I thought of along the way if you don't mind some humble opions -- I could be wrong, but it's always good to have reasonable opinions to think over and choose the bits you like.

I wouldn't go too cheap as the ring is a sign of commitment that should last a lifetime -- one day you'll have more money, it accumulates with time, so your engagement ring shouldn't look out of place with future jewellery acquistions.

Also consider the wedding ring in advance -- the gold should match, not one ring be more yellow than the other. 24 C is rich but soft, 18 slightly more yellow but harder and practical, less is very light in colour.

As for the diamond, 0.35 to 0.5 C can show up perfectly well. Clarity has been mentioned before (under a microscope, porosity really shows up; it's the little holes that make a diamond less clear). The cut detrmines how well the light bounces around inside within the diamond without escaping. Fire hasn't been mentioned. Fire is the flare the diamond gives off in colours, not just white. It's a desirable thing in a diamond.

Does you prospective fiancé have a favourite gem? How about a nice 1 C saphire with a 0.35 diamond either side? You should find a ring under £1000 like that. Emerald is rather expensive. Do you want the stones set flat or in a classic raised setting? I like the classic, but the raised setting is more likely to snag more easily on jumpers and get banged and caught up elsewhere.

Be individual, buy a unique (ish) ring. Take your time and look around all the jewellery stores, not Argos. The ring is meant to be special. Take your time -- handing over the cash is easy, it's the thought, and also the amount of consideration, that counts. Don't be embarrased to buy one on sale if it really fits the bill -- but ask about the returns policy first! Don't be afraid to ask questions. Enjoy the purchasing process, be positive and happy. Some good jewellers will be happy to tell you everything there is to know about stones.

Good taste is about subtlety. If you try and define good taste it's more about what it isn't than what it is -- not garish, not overly complicated, not too many different features, not too immodest etc. Mmmm, maybe taste and elegance are the same.

Don't worry so much about the price tag. If you like the ring it doesn't matter if it's sub £300. The ring is as big as your affectionate intentions and your partner should sense that. If you think you won't be returning the ring, why not personalize it by having your first names/initials and the date engraved inside?

Hopefully there's something helpful here. Now I'm in a mood to see my jeweller. What should I get my wife for our 8th anniversery? Should I save the eternity for our 10th?

thanks very much mate, that's a help... i'd wait for no. 10 if i were you, make it special!

i like the engraving idea but am worried it will be the wrong size...

food for thought, thanks for taking the time :thumbsup:

Shucks, it's nice that you noticed I took the time :thumbsup:

I've made so many *****-ups along the way that I'm always glad to pass on anything I learnt if it makes someone else's life go better somehow. That way you can fast forward and make entirely new and exciting mistakes of your own :yes:

I'm still making mistakes -- why only two weeks ago I realized that only 20% of my broad beans have set because I didn't water enough, so I'll be happy to pass that on should anyone have any broad bean related questions!

Back to the ring, mine wasn't a surprise to my wife and I had to meet up in another country to give it to her. Somehow I managed to find a ring that was just oversize (better over than under) and we had it cut down to size afterwards. I'm sure it could be done in a place that wouldn't affect the engraving, and it wouldn't cost much as the jeweller keeps the gold that's cut away. And if it's still loose, all the more reason to get a wedding ring to stop it sliding off!

Just had a thought about buying my wife more rings -- do you suppose it would make us look middle aged to have hands clustered with rings (we're not there yet!), and would it also be a tasteless display that makes it look like we value money too much and need to prove something? You know -- the kind of people who get a kick out of bossing the waiters around in posh restaurants. I'd hate to turn into that. Guess I'll reconsider on our tenth...

And the deleted word was a male chicken (sounds like lock). Another false accusation! :unsure:

Silvasurfa, have you thought of taking a trip up to Birmingham and having a look round the jewelry quarter? There's some stunning stuff up there for pretty reasonable prices, added bonus is it's all on one street so less shopping stress! :thumbsup:

Whoa! Can't believe I missed this thread!

What is going on in the world? The big man's getting married?! Good work! :D

Cheers !Removed!, keep it to yourself though eh! At least until she knows about it!!! :P

Was just wandering- Do you think it would be really rubbish to propose in Cuba without the ring and then let her choose one when we get back?

I'm a bit concerned about a)keeping it hidden from her and b)it becoming lost or stolen (apparently thefts a big problem).

What you reckon?

If you're looking for a white gold ring and diamond combo, like you mentioned earlier, I'd say you are looking at around the £450-600 mark for something half decent. This is about what I paid a year ago when I bought 'the ring'. If you want platinum then add another £300 and a smaller diamond. I'd personally say white gold is nicer.

3531732.jpg

This is the kind of ring she has (Princess cut diamond)

And this is where I proposed.

DSC01471.jpg

Aira Force in the lake district (On top of the bridge, if she said no then you have somewhere to push her :P ). It doesn't have to be a million miles from home. Think of somewhere you both like and go for it (not your local Mc'Ds though)

Joe

Was just wandering- Do you think it would be really rubbish to propose in Cuba without the ring and then let her choose one when we get back?

I'm a bit concerned about a)keeping it hidden from her and b)it becoming lost or stolen (apparently thefts a big problem).

What you reckon?

Nahh I reckon thats a good idea, theres no law that says you have to produce a ring upon engagement.... her choosing is a good idea, at least you'll know it'll fit and it'll be what she wants! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

CAN'T propose without a ring!!.. jeeeeeeeeesus.. unless you use a ringpull? :lol:

Very nice mate! Unfortunately not got anywhere like that near by and i'm definately goin with Cuba

Was just wandering what people thought about not having the ring, my instinct is it won't be as good but i'm just not sure! AAAARRRRGGGGH

Yeah cheers Em!!! Just a bit of a slow typer!!!

You could always ask her, or get an idea of the ring she likes from what rings she has already? I knew my girl didn't like anything too fussy, that's why I chose the one I did. I had to get it resized (free) as it was way too big (even though it only just fitted my little finger!). I couldn't believe she liked it. I did say we could chose another if it wasn't what she wanted, keep the receipt!!

Yeah, I'm pretty confident in my ability to choose one she'll like, it's just how much I should spend and how I should do it that are causing me problems...

I really do appreciate the advice though people as I can't really speak to anyone else, thanks very much :thumbsup:

Can you maybe ask one of her girlfriends (one who can keep a secret! lol) for advice? No one knows a gorl more than her mates do.... :thumbsup:

Firstly Congrats,

The jewellery quarter is a good idea (certain shop do one off's designs & custom made jobs) but I'm sure there must be somewhere similar, closer to you. isn't there a diamond/Jewellery district in london? No point spending £50 in petrol or train fare coming up to Brum when you could spend the extra on the ring.

2nd hand or Antique ring.

"This Wedding ring is a 100years old, it should be good for another 100, Would you like to find out with me?"

I'm sorry, I love thinking of corny lines :D

This is just my opinion, but I think YOU should choose the engagement ring and then she can choose the wedding ring (or Rings if you have a matching set).

And it also gives you a chance to start saving together as the couple.

I thought the tradition was, you spent a month's wages on the Wedding Ring not the Engagement ring. But if you still wanna go down this route:

0% interest for 6months on balance transfers (£1000 / 6 = £166.67)

moment of happiness followed by 6 months of unneccessary stress.

Bottom line. What makes the ring Valuable...sorry Precious, is the commitment it represents.

Good luck

Rich K

P.S. Cuba, Hmm nice.

Congratulations :thumbsup:

Don't forget to save this thread so that you can both have a good laugh when the deed is done :D

2nd hand or Antique ring.

"This Wedding ring is a 100years old, it should be good for another 100, Would you like to find out with me?"

I'm sorry, I love thinking of corny lines :D

That would work on me! :wub: i

would probably cry my eyes out with that line! :rolleyes::lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links