Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stick Loose In 5th Gear

Zz24hours

From day one, my 5th gear causes the gear lever to work fairly much back and forth when accellerating/decellerating

... is this normal? Haven't had a chance to try another D4D to see if this is similar to mine

Not really a problem, just a bit annoying if it can be fixed.

Mine doesn't do that, only in 5th gear? strange.

Yes, only in the 5th. gear - can compare it to 5th gear in older cars, where syncro is worn.

I'd better take a testdrive with the dealer

One thing I will say is, don't forget that the engine and gearbox do move in their mounts during accelleration and decelleration. Which on some cars does cause the gearstick to move, because it has to move with them.

:thumbsup:

This I know, and I can feel, holding the stick, that engine and gearbox are moving in all gears, but still not affecting the gearstick as it does in 5.th

• 7 months later...

From day one, my 5th gear causes the gear lever to work fairly much back and forth when accellerating/decellerating

... is this normal? Haven't had a chance to try another D4D to see if this is similar to mine

Not really a problem, just a bit annoying if it can be fixed.

have 2000 reg avensis d4d did the same when accellerating/decellerating not any more now it jumps out of gear everytime when accellarating, so much now i can't use 5th

have 2000 reg avensis d4d did the same when accellerating/decellerating not any more now it jumps out of gear everytime when accellarating, so much now i can't use 5th

Thats strange, one of the first thing I noticed about my Avensis was how little the gearstick moves, in fact I was going down the road looking at it and it doesnt move or vibrate at all. Do you or has your car ever done any heavy towing?

Thats strange, one of the first thing I noticed about my Avensis was how little the gearstick moves, in fact I was going down the road looking at it and it doesnt move or vibrate at all. Do you or has your car ever done any heavy towing?

my gearstick dosen't move or vibrate in the other gears and didn't in 5th up to 2 weeks ago . never towed no towbar fittted

Mine has always vibrated more in 5th than in other gears. You can see it twitch when you put the pedal down too. It has always done it and I must admit that it worried me a bit as it is only 5 months old but I always put it down to the engine moving on the mounts which is quite normal. Especially in a diesel with all the torque. I was just going to sit it out and wait until the service and point it out, along with the overly clicky gearstick - 10 clicks. Oooohh!

What did you mean by "Overly Clicky Gearstick"?

Thanks

You spotted the "deliberate mistake" in my post. Well done! :thumbsup: ;) Actually I meant handbrake. I was just being a bit thick. :lol:

My handbrake is clicking about 10-11 times on pull. Not a huge problem but I'd like it tightened back to 6 (it started off at 9 anyway.) I just like tight handbrakes.

Cheers,

Jim

I've done hanbrake adjustment on my Avensis (last model), and put post in this forum about it. If you're interested to see, just do a search with "handbrake" word and you'll get to it.

• 3 weeks later...

I had my diesel from new and the stick was solid in 5th. At about 100k it started to move in 5th until the poinr where ut evenyually started jumping out of gear. Not good at high speed on the motorway!

Not sure what the cure was but after a couple of days in the garage, it was as good as new.

Not sure what the cure was but after a couple of days in the garage, it was as good as new.

How much did you pay for repair and was it repaired at Toyota or independent garage?

Thanks

How much did you pay for repair and was it repaired at Toyota or independent garage?

Thanks

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what was done to repair it. It's a company car and I took it to my local Toyota delaer who said that it was the same fault as the previous model and they could do the repair in situ without having to remove the box. They would have needed it for the day.

As it happens, the lease company said they they could get it done cheaper and arranged for my car to be picked up on a low loader, taken to an independent gearbox repairer in Hertfordshire (I live in Somerset) and give me a hire car. A week later the car was returned to me. False economy me thinks!

I think it went to Hemel GearboX Centre so it might be worth giving them a call and pumping them for info.

Sorry, just realised your location. If it helps, their number is 01442 842655