Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5,4,3,2,1......?

Demonic Angel

I'm really curious, once again, about the Yaris digital range....

Not that its always accurate anyway, this evening as I was driving home from work (which is 3 miles), it skipped from 17 miles remaining, to 7 and then started counting down like a bomb.... 7,6,5,4....

Luckily I was coming up to the petrol station (91p per frickin litre!!!) so stuck a fiver in til I can get to Morrisons tomorrow..... but it made me think, even though I was panicking because it was going down so quickly, what actually happens when it hits zero?

The last time a Yaris of mine hit zero was in Karis in Coventry when she didnt actually konk out on me, I just pulled over and called Rich in tears because I was stranded in Coventry by the Jaguar factory..... and he had to come and rescue me!

I remembered on Top Gear when Clarkson drove the diesel whatever-it-was from London to Scotland on one tank of fuel, and it kept going, even though the range was 0 miles left - and it went on for miles and miles after that.

Is that what would happen, or would it just die?

Has anyone tested the theory??

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Demonic Angel

• Moffmo

• Gnome

• Blue84

i drive lots of different toyota EM and not one of them yet has run out of fuel when the reading says zero, now and don`t take this a bibe but once when a friend and i where comming home one night late, the clock said i had 3 miles left. so knowing i had a 5L can of petrol in the boot for the lawnmower, we had a little test. i drove 36 miles after the clock said zero, honest. id use them a guide rather than a rule

you've got a good range left when it reads zero - dont worry.

especially on a small car like a Yaris that gives good mpg - dont worry about filling up before it hits zero.

iv traveled about 40 miles when the 0 indicator was on, i had no money and i turn a wrong turn onto the motorway.

40 miles later all of which im sweating and panicing, i made it home, and there was enough petrol to start the engine up in the morning and make it to the garage.

Oh, i think the empty flashing thing indicates you have a gallon left.

Funnily, i did the same thing to TOTB, i had enough petrol to get there and back, but fogot i was following giddlepin <_< So ended up with the flashing 0 WHEN i got there, but the petrol station that was nearby was closed...

20 miles to the nearest station... and i turn a turn off earlier than that looking for one...

Still makes my heart beat abit

It's worth noteing too, that the harder you drive the car.. the less mpg you get.. so if your panicking and trying to rush to a petrol station, your pressing the pedal further down than you normally would.. the computer then works out how many miles you have left in the current conditions.. ease off the peddal and it recalculates the miles left again, this results in the computer displaying a varied amount. Hope you can work out what i mean by this.. give it try, press the peddal hard and check it.. then ease of the peddal and check it again.

My Yaris doesn't have this feature.. but if you understand my logic.. it makes sence.

Bit of a daft woman question, but does coasting help with fuel economy in these situations? I resorted to coasting a lot, thinking it was helping..... :unsure:

Yes it does make sense. The computer is now trying to calculate and re-calculate how much fuel you've got left and the margin of error will be great with a small amount left in the tank as you speed up and down. There is a simple solution to this....

fill up your car more often! :lol:

Yes it does make sense. The computer is now trying to calculate and re-calculate how much fuel you've got left and the margin of error will be great with a small amount left in the tank as you speed up and down. There is a simple solution to this....

fill up your car more often!  :lol:

Whole tank of fuel lasts me a month though.... so I have no need! :D :D I dont normally wait til its so low but kept putting it off because I couldnt be bothered to drive to Morrisons! :lol::lol:

Bit of a daft woman question, but does coasting help with fuel economy in these situations? I resorted to coasting a lot, thinking it was helping.....  :unsure:

shouldnt do - you actually use more fuel when coasting than when the car is in gear

Bit of a daft woman question, but does coasting help with fuel economy in these situations? I resorted to coasting a lot, thinking it was helping.....  :unsure:

shouldnt do - you actually use more fuel when coasting than when the car is in gear

ermm so thats why it went down so quickly then...... knew there was an explanation for that! lol

Oh I turn into a nervous wreck if I haven't got over half a tank. I know all about the reserve but it makes no difference. I get paranoid about it. I think I must be obsessive compulsive about running out or something! :P

***** DA - a full tank last me like two days ...

i used 3 tank fulls going 634 mile to and back from JAE mmmmmm But she like the 97 ron esso stuff on your side :yes:

Full tank lasts me about a week and a bit. At the moment I'm getting about 550 miles a tank ;)

I tend to run until well into the flashing light and I've only been caught out once (well, it was an odd downhill/uphill corner with a hard camber). I had driven for about 60 miles after the light started flashing though so I have nobody to blame but myself :rolleyes:

Currently sitting about 400 and odd miles driven so far and there's about a third of a tank left.

I haven't got a "range" mode or either of the mpg calculations on my trip computer (only average speed) so I tend to do it by juggling the speed the fuel gauge drops and the number of miles I've covered since I last filled up.

:thumbsup:

Alan

***** DA - a full tank last me like two days ...

:unsure:

well its three miles to and from work, so thats 6 miles a day and then its odd journeys to Rugby to visit friends and family n stuff at weekends which is a 40 mile round trip.... plus any driving for work as well which is never much and I get 40p per mile back! :thumbsup:

I dont even have to drive to Tescos do do my shopping because they deliver it to my door! :lol::lol:

She hasnt even hit 3000 miles yet and had her since December 2004! :lol::lol:

lol

Drive 3 miles to work and you ran a maranton? :P

YES! :lol:

Journey to work is all country lanes - no paths to walk/run on!

Oh I turn into a nervous wreck if I haven't got over half a tank. I know all about the reserve but it makes no difference. I get paranoid about it. I think I must be obsessive compulsive about running out or something! :P

I get a bit like that too, altho now I'm getting better and let her get to two bars showing only on the fuel gauge now before really having to fill up! Range normally says around 70miles or so, but as I do a 25 mile all-round trip to work & back every day I keep her topped up well just in case!

At the moment I'm getting about 550 miles a tank ;)

lol 550 miles to a tank would last me a year! lol

Rich has been really impressed with the range on the Corolla too - he gets about 550-600 miles to a tank in his - he is a very happy chappy!

Anyway, I dont normally wait til the very end, I dont think I'll start because I panic very easily and I dont want to end up stranded with no petrol - so I think I'll just fill her up later on and then fill her up again at the beginning of September - like I normally do!

I know I whinge about petrol costs but I feel sorry for you guys who travel more than me..... you must spend a fortune! :unsure:

A yaris I drove had one of those pony 6 bar petrol guages .. it ran out with 1 bar left :(

I had to walk 3 miles cross country to get petrol .. ended up 30 mins late for work.

em if the range says 60 and then you boot it. the range will adapt to your driving and go down to about 2 miles :P

i use about £60 a week fuel.

It's usually not a good idea to run the tank right down to empty anyway---ok, in theory you will get better mpg but if your petrol isn't absolutely mint some sludge may settle in the bottom of the tank.

This won't end up clogging the engine if you normally fill up when you have a gallon or two left, but if you run the tank nearly dry I guess you might have problems.

Paul.

"A yaris I drove had one of those pony 6 bar petrol guages .. it ran out with 1 bar left "

Thought it had 8 bars? ;)

Get about 300-400 miles depending on where I'm going, in town/ out of town driving.

That'll last about 2 weeks. Have to drive conservatively, just so I can save some money to put fuel in the bike... :D

Thought the P1's had 6 bars?

I didnt really floor it home, I couldnt, I was stuck behind the MD of the company next door in his flash BMW X5, which is obviously doesnt want to ruin by putting his foot down because he was going 30mph on a 60mph road.... so it took me longer to get home than normal.

So I was panicking because my petrol was going down, and furious at this guy - he even went down to 25mph at one point - I was swearing so much you'd think it was a new language!

take it that it wasn't a 4.6 then :P me & knightrider saw one 1/4 mileing against a skyline and a scooby. & it did pretty well......

i usually fill up every 80/90 miles.