Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Celica Very Low On Power

fokkerjet

I have a Celica 2.0GT 1992 and for some time now have had the car running on very low power. It just seemed to one day just depower. Acceleration is very poor and it feels like it is 'holding back' when I put my foot down, much like an old carburettor car when the carb is knackered. However, I can happily cruise on the motorway at 90mph and still seem to average about 29-30mpg. Because I tend to use the car for motorway cruising, it hasn't really affected me, but I hate getting overtaken by the Skodas now!

I tried changing all the platinum spark plugs and had a new set of plug leads but to no avail. A garage were able to find nothing wrong.

I wonder if anyone has any ideas as to what can be done? Is it worth getting a hometune sort of thing and see if there is some sort of engine management problem. I would love to think that it is something simple like pull a fuse and replace or something, but somehow I suspect it isn't!

my search on the web suggests your engine is a 3sge and it uses ordinary plugs and not platinum ones , platinum ones as far as im aware are slightly longer to sit further in the point of detonation , maybe this is your problem ???????

The 3s-ge can use platinum plugs, but there is usually little point. As long as the correct grade is used it shouldn't be the cause of this problem.

Unfortunately, your problem could be just about anything to do with the ignition or fuel system. The way you describe it makes it sound like it's not a misfire?

On the fuel side, it could be a blocked fuel filter or injectors, weak fuel pump, faulty fuel pressure regulator, or a faulty sensor (throttle position, map, air temp, coolant temp). I take it the check engine light does not stay illuminated after the engine has started? That would indicate that it's not a totally failed sensor, but it could still be one that's out of calibration (fairly uncommon though).

According to my book, they came with platinum plugs as standard. Even says on my engine somewhere to change the plugs every 60,000 miles.

The 3s-ge can use platinum plugs, but there is usually little point. As long as the correct grade is used it shouldn't be the cause of this problem.

Unfortunately, your problem could be just about anything to do with the ignition or fuel system. The way you describe it makes it sound like it's not a misfire?

On the fuel side, it could be a blocked fuel filter or injectors, weak fuel pump, faulty fuel pressure regulator, or a faulty sensor (throttle position, map, air temp, coolant temp). I take it the check engine light does not stay illuminated after the engine has started? That would indicate that it's not a totally failed sensor, but it could still be one that's out of calibration (fairly uncommon though).

No the Check Engine light does not stay illuminated...the engine idles fine and when you hit the 5000 odd RPM, the extra power cuts in....it just takes a long time to get there! It seems like the engine is holding back.

Hi,

Just a thought, don't the early celicas have a conventional distributor? In which case, seeing as acceleration is a problem rather than cruising, I would investigate the vacuum advance function on the distributor - perhaps the hose to the diaphragm has detatched or the unit itself is faulty. Could get someone with a strobe to check your timing both static and dynamic. Seems a likely cause given the symptoms you describe - engine is fine at other times so that rules out the passive components in the ignition system.

Good luck!

James

Hi,

Just a thought, don't the early celicas have a conventional distributor? In which case, seeing as acceleration is a problem rather than cruising, I would investigate the vacuum advance function on the distributor - perhaps the hose to the diaphragm has detatched or the unit itself is faulty. Could get someone with a strobe to check your timing both static and dynamic. Seems a likely cause given the symptoms you describe - engine is fine at other times so that rules out the passive components in the ignition system.

Good luck!

James

Certainly the gen 5 onwards have electronic ignition controlled by the ECU. No bob weights or vac advance to worry about here. :thumbsup:

No the Check Engine light does not stay illuminated...the engine idles fine and when you hit the 5000 odd RPM, the extra power cuts in....it just takes a long time to get there!  It seems like the engine is holding back.

So it pulls hard over 5k rpm, but below it is sluggish? It could be a problem with the ACIS then. Check for split/loose hoses around the actuator and vacuum tank.

You could check for sparks at night which may indicate a problem with electrics. Take the car to the middle of nowhere (somewhere really really dark) and leave the car running then pop the bonnet and have a look to see if there are any blue sparks jumping across the leads. If there is then you know it's electrics. It isn't that easy though cause you have still got to find out what. Anything that is affecting the flow of electricity can cause the sparks to jump between leads. The most common cause is a short or worn leads though.

If it is as above you will probably notice it stutter a bit though and struggle to go up hills?? - Just a thought :)