Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 Stuff

the fixer

i have only recently joined the forum and several things struck me (hence the title)

1. the oem stereo (speakers) are crap

2. the tailgate is bug**red up

3. the parcel shelf is just wick

4. the interior trim is HARD and CHEAP

5. the fuel consumtion is a lie (petrol)

But we all still like the car - I'm having great fun tweaking and adjusting the car to make it better and it sort of made me think that maybe that's what i have been missing with previous more 'perfect' cars. Maybe the rav has cornered a niche market. ie. old farts who like to dust off their spanners and get their sleeves rolled up - any comments?

i have only recently joined the forum and several things struck me (hence the title)

1.  the oem stereo (speakers) are crap

2. the tailgate is bug**red up

3. the parcel shelf is just wick

4. the interior trim is HARD and CHEAP

5. the fuel consumtion is a lie (petrol)

Welcome to the forum :)

1. They're not the best, but I don't drive lond distances very often so it doesn't bother me.

2. Agree, but it is easily fixed, see other posts.

3. Agree, but have seen a couple of good ideas on the forum.

4. I've got the XT4, with leather, and it is really very nice

5. It's been mentioned several times on the forum. I believe they are/have fixed it but it needs a replacement unit.

But, it's still a fantastic car with great road holding and the driver aids (ABS,TC,VSC) work just great :blink:

jonbr

no harm guy but what i am saying is that you shouldn't have to 'fix' things up via tips on a forum - not in this day and age.

i like the car - otherwise i wouldnt have spent the dough - i just think that maybe a few corners were cut in the final 'edit' so to speak

i went for the leather trim and its great, what i mean about the hard trim is the dash and door panels being a bit cheap.

however i had a busy day today which sorted loads:

one visit to maplin provided - 4no. tweeters £10x2 - 1 fm modulator (yes modulator) to hook up my mp3 player £25 and 1 visit to Halfords for a roll of dynamat 9 (enough for four doors)

all fitted before bedtime and the results have transformed the car (i like my music)

twinkly highs and no buzzes on the lows - the oem speakes can belt out the bass notes pretty good.

so the moral is - don't be a car anorak like me and go chug some stella

theres no such thing as dynamat 9 - that was a typo (it's just dynamat) :blink:

that'll be the stella talking

d'you know, it was my wife that really wanted me to get a rav - i actually wanted to get one of those new passats.

bet people don't have to head off to Halfords and maplin off a saturday to buy tweeters and sound deadening stuff.

still - don't they look really boring......

bas***ds

berkshire - eh

makes you think

berk shire

when have you even been aware of VSC or traction control - you ******

bet your tv is HDTV ready

wa*ker

sorry .... that'll be the stella

Think you're turning into a serial poster mate! :D

I have the older shape Rav4, and must admit find the fuel consumption quite acceptable for a heavy 4WD. I get 30 out of mine, and a bit less running around. I would have thought that the newer engines could do more than that on a run.

I agree about the Speakers and interior though. After looking at them, it seems that the new shape Rav 4 is just a major facelift of the one I have. There are so many similarities. I mean, why put the rear Speakers down low in the boot twice? :ffs:

And I suppose the interior does rattle a little and is a bit plasticy, but the main thing with these is they never go wrong.

Unlike a Volkswagen. They may have a decent image and good interior build quality, but the things that matter like electrical reliability are very poor. I've had an Avensis then a Lexus GS before, then bought a Passat. My god it drove well, and was built well. But i've never had so many silly electrical faults! Hence, i'm back with Toyota and glad to be!

I'll shut up now... :P

I agree there are several "annoying" things with the RAV that could easily have been fixed at the factory..... however, I don't think I've "enjoyed" a car so much for years - certainly dusted off my spanners and have been happily playing away.

As for the MPG, well I average 35mpg on a 2l diesel, not as good as my corolla which gave 45mpg but I just accept that this is what the RAV gives.

It certainly looks like stella was doing a lot of talking on behalf of the Fixer! hic! :wacko:

It certainly looks like stella was doing a lot of talking on behalf of the Fixer! hic!  :wacko:

Sure does, just as well I don't take offence :)

Maybe I should drink some stella when I post :D

Personally, only the rear door and parcel shelf annoy me. Don't use the rear door for large items very much so can't be bothered to do any thing about it and the parcel shelf I just take out when loading/unloading :P

It certainly looks like stella was doing a lot of talking on behalf of the Fixer! hic!  :wacko:

Personally, only the rear door and parcel shelf annoy me. Don't use the rear door for large items very much so can't be bothered to do any thing about it and the parcel shelf I just take out when loading/unloading :P

!Removed! Hell - I must remember newer to post after being down the pub

!Removed! Hell - I must remember never to post after being down the pub

Thanks for not being offended :thumbsup: !

Well in the defence of the generation 2 ,Rav4, i find it a great motor all round, well put together, good turn of speed, and 30 + mpg.

my last car was a Lexus is200 and that was a !Removed! good car, the Rav4 not far off in finish, fit and quality ( and it quicker to 0-60 ) :thumbsup:

Bob - well put - plus I no longer worry about every kerb jumping out and hitting my rims !!

Best thing though is having some torque again - didn't realise how frustrating the IS was until I got the RAV - and yes it is good to be able to shake of some boy racers at the lights unlike the IS - esp in the wet :lol:

Bob - well put - plus I no longer worry about every kerb jumping out and hitting my rims !!

Best thing though is having some torque again - didn't realise how frustrating the IS was until I got the RAV - and yes it is good to be able to shake of some boy racers at the lights unlike the IS - esp in the wet  :lol:

!Removed! alloys on the Lexus :o ...i would brake out in a sweat, every time i got near a curb :angry: , i'm very very pleased with my Rav4,the only thing that lets it down ,is the dealer network :( .

Wierd - I got rid of the Lex in part because the dealer (G'Ford) was so poor - never ever ever returned calls, never able to fix faults (3 clutches !!) and were so dear (£660 40k service after knocking £200 off !!).

I live less than 5 minutes (walk !!) from local Mr T outlet (WKB) and they provide a great service - though sometimes you have to insist things are done (like my stereo replacement to fix the MPG accuracy).

How has yours let you down ?

Wierd - I got rid of the Lex in part because the dealer (G'Ford) was so poor - never ever ever returned calls, never able to fix faults (3 clutches !!) and were so dear (£660 40k service after knocking £200 off !!).

I live less than 5 minutes (walk !!) from local Mr T outlet (WKB) and they provide a great service - though sometimes you have to insist things are done (like my stereo replacement to fix the MPG accuracy).

How has yours let you down ?

I've come into contact with two dealers since getting the Rav4, first was the supplying dealer in Maidstone, the Rav had a RAC inspection (done by Toyota technician) and a 10K service, the spare tyre was punctured (i asked the salesman to get that looked at), both headlamps out of alignment, pollen or air filter not clean or inspected, inside of vehicle not valated.( all the jobs listed above ,should have been checked twice, with the two inspections done ).....so the only conclusions i can make ,is it got and oil and filter change before i collected it.....NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Second dealer, was the one close to my home, my Rav had a sticking/jamming passenger seat runner, so took the vehicle to the dealer, un announced, and asked if a technician could spend 5 minutes to confirm it need a seat runner under warrenty, 2 HOURS LATER, technicain came out and took less than five minute to agree it did need a runner......why the f**k could they not have done that 2 hours before.....anyway since had seat runner replace ,no problem......so far.

So in 2 months of ownership, i've not found toyota dealers very competent in their jobs :angry: .

Good point guys - i had some phat rims (as they say) on my previous ride and forever lived in fear of kerbs - you had to be careful with the chin spoiler too. No such problems now :thumbsup:

the only thing that lets it down ,is the dealer network :( .

My local dealer is fantastic. It's owned by a local business man who prides him self on the level of service his companies give, including hotel, sports facilities, etc.

I booked my old car in for an MOT, before I got the RAV, the computer system lost the booking (they've since changed software suppliers) but they still took it in a did the MOT with no questions asked.

Also, I always get a letter to remind me that my RAV might be due it's next service and a call afterwards to check that I was happy with every thing they did. I can even book it in for a while I wait appointment for a servive and they always complete on time.

The dealer is the main reason I got the RAV, in fact they are the main reason my family has bought Toyota's over the past several years. :D

All of the Toyota dealers in the north of kent, /south east london are owned by big empires, i.e. Jemica and Beadles, so you're never going to get the personal touch.

Best dealer ever, was Fox's Badgers Mount, it was the long-established toyota dealer the UK and was family run, the owner has recently retired, and sold up....sad news for his customers.

I think my biggest shock with the Rav4 is how well it handles, and I believe the mk2 models are even better!

I love going round bends and just flooring the pedal. 4WD is great fun! It handles probably just as good as my Passat (with a little bit more roll) but the passat couldn't go off the mark as well. Even in the wet it's difficult to get wheel spin!

I couldn't afford a new shape one when my Passat died, but have always wanted one so went for the old shape just to see what I thought. I definately want a new shape one now!

One thing I thought about though was, are they quieter than the mk1 inside? I cant say that mine is the most refined of cars, even with extra sound proofing.

:thumbsup:

I think my biggest shock with the Rav4 is how well it handles, and I believe the mk2 models are even better!

I love going round bends and just flooring the pedal.  4WD is great fun!  It handles probably just as good as my Passat (with a little bit more roll) but the passat couldn't go off the mark as well.  Even in the wet it's difficult to get wheel spin!

I couldn't afford a new shape one when my Passat died, but have always wanted one so went for the old shape just to see what I thought.  I definately want a new shape one now!

One thing I thought about though was, are they quieter than the mk1 inside?  I cant say that mine is the most refined of cars, even with extra sound proofing.

:thumbsup:

Rav4's did have a problem where the rubber boot around the steering post split going through the bulkhead which increases engine noise 50% or so

May be worth getting your head under the dash with a bright light in the engine bay & seeing if the boot is split around the steering post to steering rack ;)

New boots are about £17 + vat & about 3/4hr to fit

Thanks for that. That's what i'll be doing tomorrow morning then!

I think most of the noise is just road noise though. I'm hoping a change of tyre will do that. Can get a set of Pirelli ones off my Dad for £80 each with the discount, so may be worth it.

It's actually that noisy it becomes annoying on the motorway. Most toyotas that i've been in have been quiet so it's strange to me.

Any other ideas short of filling the car with expanding foam in every crevice? :thumbsup:

uh oh! friday night again and the stella beckons

i was feeling a little frisky today and whacked on the handbrake as i turned in the drive.....

wow! the old ravvy tweaked it's ***** around just like my first car ( a nova sr), which is prtty cool for family transport.

i've had a few cars now with rear disk brakes and the were all crap in this department, but the rav certainly won't dissapoint joyriders :fear: