Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Head Unit Installation

smaster

I have a 96 corolla and I want to replace the factory cassette player with an aftermarket head unit. I am not sure as to how to remove the fascia and vent controls in order to gain access to the tape player and remove it. I know there are two screws that must be removed under the vent controls, but how do i proceed after that? details would, especialy from someone who has done this before....thanks a lot

Take the two screws off, and the whole fascia (vents, around the cassette, vent controls - you'll have to pull the ends of these) is clipped in with 4 clips. Once this cover is off, you may have to unclip the emergency, and fog light? clips to remove the fascia, the unit is screwed in behind.

You should be able to attach the Toyota fixing brackets to your head unit.

Use the wiring adapters, available from Halfords and it's an easy job.

I'm not meaning to frighten you here and this next bit is for anyone else, but after I fixed my head unit it only lasted a few days. I had it in a previous car for over a year. Any idea's what could have gone wrong?

There's nothing else that we should be looking out for?

Guest Calum

moaeedsajid, your description of how to remove the head unit seems pretty accurate, just remember not to spend more that £10 on the ISO wiring adaptor you need to put in a new head unit.

when your sound system stopped working, what went wrong, was it the power to the unit? the Speakers crackling and blowing?

To be honest with you, itworked perfectly fine for two days. Then, I had the radio on, it maybe crackled a little but smoke just started to blow out of the unit.

It was a very warm day, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it. I've opened the unit and the board had started to melt. The unit was still working when I switched it off, but haven't tried it since.

I had it in another car for just over a year, so was surprised that it didn't last very long. It seems silly to pay someone to fit a unit, especially when it's so simple.

What stereo was it? You will find that many Jap cars don't have an earth in the wiring loom and that you have to wire in a seperate sometimes.

If it was a fairly cheap head unit then you will find that they will run and that they can take an earth from the aerial plug. However with the more expensive units they will not work from the start.

I would make sure the the earth wire in your iso block definatly goes to another wire and that wire is an earth

Yeah, it was a bottom of the range JVC unit. I used it as a bit of a decoy as I thought cheap head unit, less people will want to steal it (so no one will notice the CD changer).

Anyway, thanks for that. I'll check it out. Is anyone else aware of what models have an earth connection as standard already in the loom or not?

Thanking you.