Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Radar/lazer Detectors

Leeky

Now that my red supra has gone i thought i would spend a little of the money i got from it on a flash new lazer/rader detector - especially as i have the possibility of 6 points on the horizon following my court appearance on the 25th of August :rolleyes:

So what does everyone use on here? Whats the best one to go for?

I'd like the most complete protection possible at a reasonable price. Would preffer one that doesnt go off every 5mins with false warnings like my old snooper did.

Cheers peeps :thumbsup:

road angel, cant fault it :yes:

got the 'classic' one which is cheaper to run, looks a bit sophisticated and keeps things simple with a few bleeps and just a speed/warning display that changes colour :yes:

the next gen one is a bit more fancy and you have Tiff Nedel jabbering to you, gets a bit annoying, and you have to pay every year unlike the 'classics' one off payment for life

road angel, cant fault it :yes:

got the 'classic' one which is cheaper to run, looks a bit sophisticated and keeps things simple with a few bleeps and just a speed/warning display that changes colour :yes:

the next gen one is a bit more fancy and you have Tiff Nedel jabbering to you, gets a bit annoying, and you have to pay every year unlike the 'classics' one off payment for life

We have the same :thumbsup:

Had it for over a year now, Had to send it back for repair the other week, And they did it for nothing!! :D Best thing sence sliced bread..

Don't bother with any dedicated Camera/trap detector.

Get Tomtom which has the locations of fixed and frequent mobile posisitions. That way you get really good satnav too.

Remember laser/radar detectors will only detect when a source hits the sensors which inevitably is far too late and you're done already. These detectors are banned as of December or January.

The use of laser/radar jammers is already illegal. Getting caught using one is an instant loss of license and huge fine.

Saying all this an old director of mine got done doing 110 on the M5. He had GPS based trap detector (Roadangel), Laser/radar detector, Laser/Radar jammers and Satnav all professionally (and permanently) installed in his Pork GT3. He only got 6 points and a couple of hundred quid. He got stopped by an unmarked car that none of the detectors picked up. The coppers didn't check the car for the jammers.

Get Tomtom which has the locations of fixed and frequent mobile posisitions. That way you get really good satnav too.

Certainly is a good package, and it seems that the speed camera data files will also tell you the speed limit for each camera. I believe you can set a different warning for each speed limit, but I haven't got round to trying this on mine yet.

You're not paying a subscription for the updates either.

Paul.

As S~G said Tom Tom Go is a very good package with lots of features like

1) Sat nav (which is very good ive never been lost with it and i always use to and will find you the quickest or shortest route)

2) The new ones come with bluetooth (so they can get traffic reports and re-route you if you chose)

3)Points of intrest (so say you running low on fuel you can find the nearest fuel station)

4)Toll roads (if you dont want to pay for a toll road it will Re-route you)

5)Estimated time of arrival (it works out what time you will arrive and on some lomg distance driving ive done is been with 5 mins of the ETA)

6)3D or birds eye mapping (so if theres a nasty corner ahead you can see it before your on it)

7) lots of companys surport it so there are lots of free downloads like full post codes speed camera locations, known mobile speed camera locations, red light camera locations, specs camera locations, tempory speed camera locations.

Ive have a Tom Tom Go and a Snooper radar laser dectector and the Tom Tom is far far better IMO.

I've heard the snooper SLD920 is rather good (laser jammer). That'll sort you out for mobile camera vans. If you get caught by a fixed camera then you probably don't know the road well enough to be speeding (famous last words). The problem with satnav based devices is they go off every 200 yards, because that's how many mobile camera spots there are nowadays.

Nothing will protect you against an unmarked car apart from revolving number plates and rear mounted machine guns, ala James Bond. Of course, a well tuned Supra should be able to outrun most unmarked police cars (not that I would recommend trying). :ph34r:

As has been said on this thread before the use of radar/laser jamming equipment is against the law as it come under obstructing a police office doing his/her duty which at max could carry a prison sentance.

As others have said - I would recommend TomTom over any lazer detector. I've got TomTom Mobile on my mobile phone, so it just goes in my pocket when I leave the car :thumbsup: Totally Excellent!!

As said above as well it also tells you the speed at each camera, you get a voice say "Gatso 30" or "Mobile 50" also does the forward facing average speed cameras and the red light cameras - can't wish for much more :thumbsup:

As has been said on this thread before the use of radar/laser jamming equipment is against the law as it come under obstructing a police office doing his/her duty which at max could carry a prison sentance.

It depends on your interpretation of the law. Obviously, the police want people to think that it's illegal, but the courts are where it's decided. Radar jammers are illegal, no question (Wireless Telegraphy Act). Laser transmitters are not illegal, so the police try and apply any old law to it:

"4. Obstructing a police officer

Under section 51 of the Police Act 1964 it is an offence to resist or wilfully obstruct a constable in the execution of his/her duty. This is widely used by the police at demonstrations. Wilful obstruction of a police officer means doing any act which makes it more difficult for the officer to carry out his/her lawful duty e.g. ignoring their instructions, stopping them doing something, dearresting someone or deliberately misleading them, or giving a false name and/or address. It has to be shown by the Prosecution that the police officer was acting in the execution of his/her duty, i.e. attempting to prevent breach of the law, and this can be very difficult to prove. There is no specific power of arrest for this offence, but the police may be able to rely on their 'general arrest powers'. This offence can only be tried in the magistrates court. There is a maximum sentence of one month in prison or a fine of £1,000. A more determined attempt to mislead could result in a charge of attempting to pervert the course of justice"

If you tell them it's sole purpose is to evade police laser traps then that's your choice. If on the other hand, it's a remote controller for your garage door... :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links