Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Knocking And Clunking On Front

em_ar_two

i had it in and been told its the brake pads but !Removed! dont seem right to me it never used to do it, when im on lock half lock to full lock and i turn i get random odd clunks and knocks and twangs and stuff, not a continuous knock just randomly but does it everytime, but not like a beat if you get what im saying, is it the cv joints or something

i had it in and been told its the brake pads but !Removed! dont seem right to me it never used to do it, when im on lock half lock to full lock and i turn i get random odd clunks and knocks and twangs and stuff, not a continuous knock just randomly but does it everytime, but not like a beat if you get what im saying, is it the cv joints or something

Just make sure that the wheels are on properly first, if its a bit loose they might be wobbling

Doesn't sound like brakes does it.

Have you got standard suspension, wheels & tyres?

I think I'd take it somewhere else for a second opinion.

Tony

The knocking and clunking your hearing are the top mounts of the suspension, they fall to bits eventually and are a common fault on '2's

They can be easily replaced. (i did both mine in 30 mins)

TRD uprated ones are cheaper than the stock ones and are available from Fensport for around £70 each, or try a scrappy!

yer it is the top mounts on the suspension because it happened to mine last week i got a mechanic as i havnt got time to do it myself.

ah right, so if i jack the front up and have a gander i should be able to see if its goosed, thanks for the reply fella's

right i think i found what it is, under the bonnet if i take off the little black caps on the top of the struts there two silver bolts inside obvioulsy connecting the suspension leg no doubt, ok the right side is luvli and shiny and silver and the other side is mingin rusted and lent over to one side, so im guessing thats why my suspension is clunkin and my steering is pulling all the time. what u reckon guys

Yaeh prob the top mounts mate, as said.

But if your car is lowered check that your sure it aint the springs.

When im on full lock, sometimes the spirngs clunk round !!

im totaly standard, theres all chunks of rust round the bolt looking like coffee if you will, the bolt is slightly higher to the surface thatn the other side and its leant right over leaning on the side, where as the other side is bit lower inside and its dead centre, which bit is it i need to buy, when you say top mount do you mean the rubber part with the metal washer, or will i need a suspension inner with the thread and nut on the end aswell, thanks for the help again

The thread and nut is part of the shock, the top mount is what the centre bar of the shock is going through (thread an nut), and is what bolts the top of the shock to the car.

Thats what you need ! - thats the top mount !

But make sure your shock is not bent if its well lent over !

jack up the car, and look at the shock between the spring !

nice one ill have alook, i dont htink its bent as in bent i think its leaning over, coz i have this problem where i car turn hard left for example and after i turn back straight the steering will pull in that direction till i hard turn the other way and the it pulls the other way if that makes sence so im guessing its hopefuly just lost support and its leaning. do i need to lift it up and take them 4 nuts off then and drop it out to have a looksie, wait a sec i got one of those cd's at home that will gimme destructions how to take it apart ill be able to know what part you mean hopefuly from a diagram on there. hope totoya dont bum luv me on the price of that part, i bought two seals the other week and they was over 20 quid i couldnt belive it just for two little round seals

BE CAREFULL WITH SUSPENSION !!!

make sure if you are dismanteling the shocks / suspension you know what you are undoing. you can remove it no problem, the little top nuts. Then the main bolt on the hub, and dont forget the antiroll bar and then the shock should drop out.

YOU WILL NEED SPRING COMPRESSORS TO DISMANTEL A SHOCK!!!!

if you undo the centre bolt on the shock without compressors the top mount could fly off under force from the spring !! - BE CAREFULL !

exactly the same happens on mine! lucky i checked this thread as i thought it maybe my drop links.

my bro (mechanic) looked at the suspention and said that it was the suspention moving.

going to jack it up this weekend (easier said than done!) and take alook.

also my suspention seems a little soggy at high speed which could indicate the mounts being fcuked

just been on to toyota james, i know you can probably get them cheaper from your bro but incase you needed any info for the front right which is the one i need its 53 quid plus vat and part number 4860917030 and takes 2 days to get, let me know how much your bro can get them for and maybe you can help me out again like you did with the clutch :)