Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changing The Clutch

nathanfreke

Hi, as my clutch is on its way out i though it would be a good idea to get it changed over before it starts damaging the flywheel. As there is no haynes manual on this car i was just wondering if anyone could give me any pointers on doing it or is there is a thread anywhere with a guide. I have been told by some people that its 'do-able' with the engine in but others say that the engine has to come out!?

If left to my own devices i would do it myself as i'm a quaified mechanic but dont work on road cars by trade so am just after any help anyone can give me.

Thanks in advance,

Nathan

Hi, as my clutch is on its way out i though it would be a good idea to get it changed over before it starts damaging the flywheel. As there is no haynes manual on this car i was just wondering if anyone could give me any pointers on doing it or is there is a thread anywhere with a guide. I have been told by some people that its 'do-able' with the engine in but others say that the engine has to come out!?

If left to my own devices i would do it myself as i'm a quaified mechanic but dont work on road cars  by trade so am just after any help anyone can give me.

Thanks in advance,

Nathan

I've not done this myself, but there are some detail about doing the clutch on the Big Green Book, here: BGB - Clutch :bookworm:

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

i personaly wouldnt advise doing it yourself unless you have high stress tolerance but i dont think its the engine you have to drop its the gearbox isnt it or something, oh yeah and replace seals, pretty obvious but the numb nust that did mine didnt do and i was leaking fluid for ages thinkin it was oil coz it dryed black on the floor, then i had to pay again for someone to fit seals, they was 23 quid for the pair from toyota

i personaly wouldnt advise doing it yourself unless you have high stress tolerance but i dont think its the engine you have to drop its the gearbox isnt it or something, oh yeah and replace seals, pretty obvious but the numb nust that did mine didnt do and i was leaking fluid for ages thinkin it was oil coz it dryed black on the floor, then i had to pay again for someone to fit seals, they was 23 quid for the pair from toyota

I take it when you say seals i guess your talking about drive shaft seals??

Thanks,

Nathan

Whislt i am doing the clutch i am going to change the cam belt, will it be easier to just take the engine out or still try and keep the engine in the car??

Thanks again