Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Brakes

JT

Recently, i had the nsr caliper on my car replaced, as it has seized and the handbrake would not work at all on it (i'd known it needed it for a while). until now, the other side has been fine (the previous owner overhauled both the rear calipers himself). i know these cars are notorious for the rear calipers seizing, so when one did, i decided to just replace it, rather than overhaul it again.

however, now, about 2 weeks after having it replaced, the other side has started binding. i noticed this morning that the osr wheel was covered in brake dust, and sure enough, when i stopped and went to pull away, i could feel slight resistance. does anyone know what could have caused it to start binding? am i looking at another £140 to get a new caliper fitted to this side? :ffs:

:crybaby: thought as much.

only thing that made me thought it could be something else, was the side i already replaced still operated on the service brake, but not the handbrake. now, the other side is seized on permanently, but i don't know if that's the handbrake or not. frigging thing! :censor:

Its a shame bout the calipers seizing, I always dread MOT time :(

May be theres summat that needs to be greased regularly to keep em good, theres a motor spares by us, I'm sure re-conned 1s are bout 80quid a piece

I think mine will be knakered will av to chek em :eek:

JT Posted Today, 02:46 PM

thought as much.

only thing that made me thought it could be something else, was the side i already replaced still operated on the service brake, but not the handbrake. now, the other side is seized on permanently, but i don't know if that's the handbrake or not. frigging thing! 

Hang on :eek:

If it's the handbrake sticking the remaining (older) caliper then this could be to do with the cable set up ...

...since you replaced the other caliper do you now not have to pull so many 'clicks' to pull the handbrake on?

To me this all sounds like handbrake part binding on.

now you mention it, no. after i picked it up, the handbrake lever was tighter, and only pulled about 3 clicks - i assumed this was the correct adjustment. this was about 2 weeks ago though - it's been adjusted like that all that time, and it only started binding yesterday

however, somehow, it's cured itself. i drove to work this morning, and it was worse than ever - i was only in till 12, so i intended to get it seen to today. but i got in it after work, and it's not binding any more :blink:

the handbrake lever also now seems a bit looser, and pulls higher than it was doing?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links