Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cambelt Change

jdbecks

hey all

got a cambelt quote today, £160 + vat n parts

im a mechanic but for the army, and private work can only be done after work, wednesday is the best day for me coss i finish at 3pm. cos ive never done one on an mid rear car i dont want to mess it up.

deos that sound resonable?

cheaper than toyota but you could probably get cheaper! if you trust the garage then id say its best to pay a little more and get peace of mind, ask if theyve done any mr2s before

he said hes done one before, im goin to look around a bit more then

Im thinking of doing my cam belt soon

If doing myself, could i get away with removing the engine mounts and tilting the engine to do it, instead of removing it !

Is it even pos with the engine still in ?

yes it is possible on the n/a

im not sure about a turbo tho...coss all the intercooler etc,

I have the receipt from when mine was changed in 1999 by Toyota dealer in Nottingham.

£136 labour + £28.65 for the belt. Prices exl. vat.

Total incl VAT was £193.

Doubt it's gone up that much; scanning through the receipts that I have, it seems the cost of a service hasn't changed much in that time.

If that's the case, and you can then get Gold Member discount off the price, then Toyota final price might be less that the price you have been quoted. Toyota probably charge more per hour, but then they might be quicker as they'll have done the job several times before.

mmm - wonders if mine needs doing again now? Last time it was changed was 6 years ago, and though the car's only done 10,000 miles since then I would think that maybe it should be changed. I don't think there's anything in the schedule about being changed after a certain number of years, but....

yes it is possible on the n/a

im not sure about a turbo tho...coss all the intercooler etc,

Is possible with 3S-GTE... and even without removing the intercooler. Me and my mate did it.

Actually i got a question i'd like some advice on.

My 2 has done 39k i think i am correct in thinking they need changing after 40`000 Or 5 years which ever is sooner.

On the cambelt cover it states last changed at 28k - 2 years ago(service record confirms). Does this mean i can wait until 68k now and exclude the change at 40K ? Or is there a "pre change" before first 40k that is to be ignored?

Says 63,000 in my schedule which I suppose is the 7th 9K service. On the Rolla we had the belt changed at 7 years old even though car had only done about 28K. That seems reasonable to me though schedule doesn't specifically say 63K or 7 years whichever comes sooner.

For some reason my MR2 had it changed at about 5 years old, with only 16K on the clock, but same dealer didn't change it at 10 years old.

if yours is an import like mine then toyota will want just under 300 for fitting! dunno if all dealers charge the same but this was the sunderland branch and they knew it was an n/a not a turbo