Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyres

hemmy

Had a look at some car tyres, and most of them have a load index of 100 anyway, the same as the standard tyres on the Rav.

However, i've just took one of the wheels of to check out the actual wheel size and it's an 8 1/2 x 16 JJ. Basically a car wheel is a J type, and these are JJ type, which means only 4WD tyres will fit. It's to do with the shape of the rim where the tyre seats onto it.

Pirelli Scorpian STR it is then!!

Had a look at some car tyres, and most of them have a load index of 100 anyway, the same as the standard tyres on the Rav.

However, i've just took one of the wheels of to check out the actual wheel size and it's an 8 1/2 x 16 JJ.  Basically a car wheel is a J type, and these are JJ type, which means only 4WD tyres will fit.  It's to do with the shape of the rim where the tyre seats onto it.

Pirelli Scorpian STR it is then!!

Glad you're doing the right thing, safety is the number one priority :)

Scorpion STR....

PirelliSCORPION_STR.jpg

Just hope they aren't too noisy now! I don't really need front ones so much, but prefer to change them as a set.

Gonna get them done before the drive down to cornwall, so will report on my findings. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've got Bridgestone's on mine and having read the thread(s) I'm looking into getting them changed. The dealer replaced the front two when we bought the vehicle so they've got hardly any wear. The backs maybe have 6mm remaining.

Kwik fit are doing an offer - buy 4 and get 25% discount so all in the STR's work out at £377 fully fitted. I'd be inclined not to pay the disposal charge and stick my Bridgestones on eBay!

Hi folks!

An update on the saga. After much thought, I decided to opt for 235 60 16 Pirelli Scorpian STR tyres with the discount from my dad. Got a set of 4 for a crackin £300!

Just in time for us to travel down cornwall last week. We're back now, and I can report that they are a great improvement notably in the wet. They're also a lot quieter than those Yokohama's. They look good on the car too, more bulky and rugged sort of thing.

Only thing is, now it's showing up how the engine refinement isn't up to much. So that looks like my next project. So if there's any ideas, i'm interested! :thumbsup:

Good to here you have the tyres sorted :) , so whats the engine problem, (i take it you got it all back together ,the other day ).

I'm just beginning to think that it's a trait of this engine, being an old one. It's slightly underpowered and a bit noisy for my liking. Mostly due to the sound insulation I would think.

It's got a flat spot around 2600 to 3100rpm or thereabouts. New plugs etc haven't sorted it out. Took it to Toyota to have it checked before I went away, and they said it's fine. But he (a young lad) just drove it round the car park. Am not impressed with them!!

Only suggestion would be to drive another of the same type, could be a "characteristic " of the vehicle .

Not sure if it is the same for cars, but I know that motorbikes often have 'flat spots' engineered at certain engine revs so that they can more easily pass the noise and emission tests. For example, my bike is a model that has an ignition retarder that operates in the first few gears, low revs to achieve this and simply disconnecting the right wire will release some extra power at these speeds.

• 4 months later...

Are the Dunlop Grandtrek TG32's any good?

Looking to replace the front tyres and was going to do a like for like replacement.

Hi All

I have Toyo T11 235/60R16 tyres, these brake well, corner well and give a good ride. They are also wearing quite well. But.....................I have noticed, mainly when driving in France or certain smooth roads in the UK that they are noisy. They sound as if there is a bearing gone in the transmission!

I first noticed this around 18,000 miles, an intermitant noise whilst driving in the UK. Then at around 28,000 I went on a long trip through France and into Germany (2006 miles in 9 days). The noise was almost constant on the motorways. :crybaby: On return to the UK up the M20 no noise. :) Apart from the tyre noise the Rav performed wonderfully during this trip:D

I have been across to France early this week.............guess what tyre noise again! If I lived in France I would have taken the car back to the dealer!

So, with only 3 to 4 mm left on the tyres I'm starting to think about the next set of tyres.

Has anyone else noticed this problem?

Have you changed to another make of tyre and got rid of the noise?

Xt4

• 4 weeks later...

That's a good discount then!

Actually yeah, those Toyo's are awfull.

I'm gonna buy some proper car style ones, I hate 4WD style ones. And i'm sure they are noisier.

my rav has toyos and they look a bit tired at only 12k the front ones that is

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links