Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla Oil Consumption

yaris781

just reading some posts on oil consumption which have got me a bit worried. :!Removed!: i have done 8000 miles since last service and on checking oil this morning my dipstick was dry. now i m worried cos the warranty has expired in july and i did not extend it or am i just being paranoid if anyone can advise would be grateful.

is it normal to consume that much my car is a 1.6 2002 corolla

:help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help:

just reading some posts on oil consumption which have got me a bit worried. :!Removed!: i have done 8000 miles since last service and on checking oil this morning my dipstick was dry. now i m worried cos the warranty has expired in july and i did not extend it or am i just being paranoid if anyone can advise would be grateful.

:help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:  :help:

hi,

did the oil light not come on , on the dash? if it was off the dipstick i would of thought so myself?

bert :thumbsup:

hi,

did the oil light not come on , on the dash? if it was off the dipstick i would of thought so myself?

bert :thumbsup:

no it never, but is working or seems to be. just concerned after reading posts from other members having to have new lower engine blocks fitted or piston rings etc etc

Good chance the oil light wouldn't come on. It has to be bone dry before it does. The light works off an oil pressure switch not oil level.

Chances are if the dipstick was dry you could well have already damaged the con-rod bearings. If the oil pressure was beginning to drop (and to be honest it does have to drop a long way before the pressure switch will detect it) then they'll be the first to get it.

Have you checked your oil level since last service and if so what was the level? It sounds like you've used 3-4 litres in 8000 miles. That's less than half a litre per thousand miles which isn't dreadful.

If you've a friendly garage or are handy with a spanner try and take the pan off and check the bearings for any damage. If you have damaged them then all you'll have to pay is fitting of new shells plus labour. If you don't do anything and you leave it you may well put a rod through the block and that'll be a brand new engine needed.

A few people have stated on other threads that if you push you can get them to do an extended warranty on engines with High oil consumption so also worth a shot but it doesn't sound bad enough for it to be classed. Seems to be something like 1litre per 1000miles before they'll take action

Hello

Had exactly the same problem with our 2002 T-Spirit. Completely ran out

of oil with no warning lights to indicate problem. Car used 1 litre of oil every

1000 miles. After 4 months of correspondance with Toyota GB & our main

dealer, they agreed to install a new short engine. The cylinder bores had

worn oval. After 1000 miles all appears to be OK with the new engine.

I advise you to pressurise Toyota GB & your main dealer to rectify this

fault, as it is a known issue to them on this particular engine ( 2002 1.6 VVTI )

Good luck.

i will do . have now took out extended warranty just in case so am still keeping an eye on the oil level :thumbsup: