Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ice Question...

Hi there,

I expect to getmy MR2 mk2 (1990) in about 3 or 4 weeks. GT Turbo T-Bar

It has the Toyota CD player and Tape player sections in it. Now I was wondering if the standard ICE setup was any good ??

I mean, are the Speakers etc decent ? I also heard they have built in Subs?? Is this true?

If so are these also any good ? How easy would it be for me to simply plonk my Alpine head unit in there? Also where do people put amps and CD changers??

There's not much room in the MR2 is there? .. lol

thanks for any help. Expect a million more questions when I do get the car..

It all depends as it's not quite as simple s it sounds or at least it may not be....

Toyota offered an Active Sound system whic means and extra bit of wiring for the installation, from what I understand not best to do it yourself, the built in subs are part of this package...

I have the standard sound system so plonked a kenwood head in there and the sound is superb, gets a little difficult to hear above certain speeds :ph34r: but thats not a major issue as they don't get reached that often :)

CD Changers and amps depend on wether you have a t-bar or not, if you do you can't use the space behind the seat as that is where the roof goes, if you don't behind the seat...

You can put them in the boot but make sure you get !Removed! good quality wire (insulated) as there can be problems with inerferance from the engine....

Rhaines, did you use one of those cables that converts it to normal ISO standards, you know the one that goes between the MR2's cabling and the head unit?

Yeah....

I will be getting a T-Top, so will have to stick stuff in the boot..

I will also get someone to do it as I don't fancy doing it myself.

It might be an idea to get either:

a: small changer to go in glove box (never use it anyway)...

or

b: push price up and get !Removed! good cables to run past engine :(

true... I could use the glove box.. cos there's that bit in between the seats is there not ?

no space between the seats for any audio equipment and behind the seats is where your roof will go....

there's very little room in the compartment for audio equipment.

You could always put the roof glass in the boot. would mean you can use the space behind the seats for a coupla amps.

You could always put the roof glass in the boot. would mean you can use the space behind the seats for a coupla amps.

yup but doesnt look as good as just flipping the seat forward, out comes the roof hey presto hard top in a couple of sec's....

u could do what im going to soon,.....

i just got a sony 10 cd changer and the changer is too big for the glove box and dont fancy the boot idea. my passenger side t-bar glass cant go in the designated space behind the seat cos one half of the luggage strap is missing so ive been putting it on the floor at a steep angle and pushing the seat back to wedge it in place.

you could put a cd changer in the t-bar glass area and put the glass behind the seat like i do.

or,...

you could have velcro on the bottom of the changer ( i have ) and put it in the t-bar area and remove it at night etc. (just unplugging a couple of leads). if you do use this area for the t-bar glass, just dont take the changer with you on a nice day!

WITH THE ROOF OFF U SHOULD BE LISTENING TO THE ENGINE, THE BIRDS SINGING, AND THE OOHS OF ADMIRING FEMALES WHEN U DRIVE BY ANYWAY!

Is the standard speaker/stereo setup any good ?? ( that's what I meant in the first place.. lol )

Also, if I went to Halfords and said.. I want this.. this ... and this...

Would they have some ideas of how to put it in my car ?

Anyone with half a brain can fit a system to your car, the important thing is the planning e.g, will u be able to use excisting holes/grommets in the bulkheads or will you have to drill new ones, are you gonna have subs, where are how etc. Don't go to Halfords, they're an over priced joke!!!!

If you have the Active Sound system things get a little more difficult and with the confined space it is interesting where to put things, I am not saying it can't be done it's just not always as easy as fitting it into a car with more space, more basic wiring.

I know a lot of people who've made some rather expensive mistakes by getting the wiring wrong and wishing they'ld gone to a pro in the first place.

It's not that expenive to have a stereo fitted and for peace of mind I know what I would prefer....

As for half a brain, I'ld rather look at it as being safe rather than sorry !

I have a wiring diagram for the Active sound system. It's not too difficult to wire in the stereo yourself (but than I do know one or two things about electronics, so it may be simpler for me?). If you wan't to use the built in system, with all the amps etc. it is very important that you buy a head unit with pre outs i.e. outputs that are not amplified. If you connect the standard (amplified) outputs to the amps you will get horrible distortion since the sound is being amplified twice.

Grab the diagram from my site at:

http://www.overtyre.co.uk/MR2/MR2%20Stereo.jpeg