Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla Loosing Coolant

ianmontana

hi all.

wondered if anyone had any ideas what the heck is happening with my 4e-fe corolla express.

Was overheating and mechanic suggested I bought new radiator.

bought new radiator & fitted myself. still overheating. mechanic replaced thermastat. still overheating. noticed that water pump had leak. water pump replaced. it's now still overheating probably due to lack of water as I keep needing to top it up. i can't see any leaks anywhere. any ideas anyone. would really appreciate some advice. cheers

did notice when i unscrewed rad cap, that before it came off properly that the pressure suddenly went through the overflow pipe.is this right?

Ian

hi all.

wondered if anyone had any ideas what the heck is happening with my 4e-fe corolla express.

bought new radiator & fitted myself. still overheating. mechanic replaced thermastat. still overheating. noticed that water pump had leak. water pump replaced. it's now still overheating probably due to lack of water as I keep needing to top it up. i can't see any leaks anywhere. any ideas anyone. would really appreciate some advice. cheers

did notice when i unscrewed rad cap, that before it came off properly that the pressure suddenly went through the overflow pipe.is this right?

Ian

Hey Ian.

Sounds like a head gasket problem to me.. An idea, would be to fill your radiator to the point of overflowing, and run the engine with the radiator cap off.. If the water shoots out, you've got a gasket problem..

See, what could of happened is that the head gasket has developed a hole, and the piston movement has been pressurising the water system and that's how you've been losing water. Check it out mate, and let me know how you get on..

Hope this helps..

Dave

Hold on the headgasket for now!!! Trust me, I'm a mkiii Supra driver...

You replaced the rad and the 'stat.. have you replaced the rad cap???

run the engine and let it get up to temperature (f

with full coolant!) give the top rad hose a squease and see if it feels firm and under presure, check the expansion tank as for water being forced into it, if the rad cap is losing presure it will bleed off most of your coolant when it gets hot! low presure also leads to coolant boiling... making it inefficent as coolant...

If the top hose squeases easily asn you can feel the coolant slopping about, replace the rad cap. if when you squease it the coolant bottle fills, replace the rad cap.

There's an assumption in their that if the mechanic changed the thermostat the coolant system has been filled properly and there's no air-locks in the system.

Providing the cap checks out alright as mentioned above by Karma then the head gasket does sound a pretty likely suspect. Any signs of water in the oil? White emulsion underneath the cap or dipstick (looks like mayonaise) or if you've changed the oil recently it going cloudy very quickly?

hi all.

Ian

Hey Ian.

Sounds like a head gasket problem to me.. An idea, would be to fill your radiator to the point of overflowing, and run the engine with the radiator cap off.. If the water shoots out, you've got a gasket problem..

See, what could of happened is that the head gasket has developed a hole, and the piston movement has been pressurising the water system and that's how you've been losing water. Check it out mate, and let me know how you get on..

Hope this helps..

Dave