Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Extended Warranty

yaris781

just been given offer to extend my warranty which expired last month.

if you have read my previous post about oil consumption which i spoke to toyota about, but they say it is within limits

would it be worth extending the warranty???? just in case there is a problem with the engine.

please advise

:help::help::help::help:

If you think there are issues with the engine, then I'd say yes. Though can you be sure it would cover the problem, as they could say it was wear and tear, and therefore not covered. Tricky.

We extended the warranty on the Corolla as long as we could (4 years I think) and never needed to claim on it, so I suppose you could say it was a waste of money.

I think it was worth it for the piece of mind though - and still extended the warranty on the Celica while I had it; that was definitely worth it as I think it helped me get a good price for the car when I sold it.

I think price of Toyota Warranty has gone up considerably; I remember the Corolla warranty being a very reasonable price, but was surprised at how much the cost for the Celica was.

Still very cheap compared to some - My Boxster came with a two year warranty, and the extension was about £1000 a year; just one of the reasons why I had to sell it. :)

Hi i've just extended my warranty to manufactures spec 400 odd quid for the year. I too have a oil issue but like you have been told its within limits, but i have heard and read on hear that the vvt-i units have got a 5 year warranty on them but toyota have not disclosed this. But for peace of mind i think that 400 quid is a cheep price to pay for example on me dads first avensis his remote locking reciver failed and cost him just over 500 quid to get fixed as it shorted out and caused a short. Since that he has extended the warrenty on his second avensis and i too have on my corolla has i needed to call on the warranty for new brakes all round last september.

At the end of the day its upto you, but i can sleep easy knowin if anythin should go wrong it aint going to cost me a arm and a leg.

Hi i've just extended my warranty to manufactures spec 400 odd quid for the year. I too have a oil issue but like you have been told its within limits, but i have heard and read on hear that the vvt-i units have got a 5 year warranty on them but toyota have not disclosed this. But for peace of mind i think that 400 quid is a cheep price to pay for example on me dads first avensis his remote locking reciver failed and cost him just over 500 quid to get fixed as it shorted out and caused a short. Since that he has extended the warrenty on his second avensis and i too have on my corolla has i needed to call on the warranty for new brakes all round last september.

At the end of the day its upto you, but i can sleep easy knowin if anythin should go wrong it aint going to cost me a arm and a leg.

thanks for your advice.

i didnt know the vvt-i engines had a 5 year warranty :huh: where did you hear that??? its good if it has ill try and find that out if i can :thumbsup:

If you think there are issues with the engine, then I'd say yes.  Though can you be sure it would cover the problem, as they could say it was wear and tear, and therefore not covered.  Tricky.

We extended the warranty on the Corolla as long as we could (4 years I think) and never needed to claim on it, so I suppose you could say it was a waste of money.

I think it was worth it for the piece of mind though - and still extended the warranty on the Celica while I had it;  that was definitely worth it as I think it helped me get a good price for the car when I sold it.

I think price of Toyota Warranty has gone up considerably;  I remember the Corolla warranty being a very reasonable price, but was surprised at how much the cost for the Celica was.

Still very cheap compared to some - My Boxster came with a two year warranty, and the extension was about £1000 a year; just one of the reasons why I had to sell it.  :)

i dont think they can say wear and tear with 30k on the clock i know people with toyotas that have done 200k with no problems to engines. my yaris has covered 20k and not used a drop of oil it just seems to be the corolla with that problem

i didnt know the vvt-i engines had a 5 year warranty  where did you hear that??? its good if it has ill try and find that out if i can

I heard about the 5 year warranty in the avensis forum's has it seems the 1.8 vvt-i does use a lot of oil and it has come to light since that the 1.6 vvt-i and also 1.4 vvt-i tend to be oil thirsty. From what i've read its olny the early vvt-i untis them produced from 2000-2002.

If you want to find out more about the 5 year cover on the vvt-i units i think it would be a good idea for you to speak to some of the avensis owners on hear.

hope this helps

Steve

I've said this on a previous thread which mentioned about oil consumption and I'll say it again.

Surely there is no way in this day and age that a modern car engine should be burning/using oil.

Toyotas from the 70's and 80's never used a 'drop' of oil between services (in fact something that was unusual in the 70's compared to the british cars of the day).

Have Toyota dropped build quality standards in the last few years?

I've said this on a previous thread which mentioned about oil consumption and I'll say it again.

Surely there is no way in this day and age that a modern car engine should be burning/using oil.

Toyotas from the 70's and 80's never used a 'drop' of oil between services (in fact something that was unusual in the 70's compared to the british cars of the day).

Have Toyota dropped build quality standards in the last few years?

it makes you wonder ive never had a problem with the yaris and my brother owns an vvt-i avensis and he has not had any problems, its only the corolla in our household which has. i quite agree with you that old toyota never burned a drop of oil s may be your right standards are dropping. i just wish that toyota would address the issue as i have read postings from other members about similar problems :ffs: :ffs: :ffs:

hi,

ive got a cts, in six months iv never seen the oil level change... :thumbsup:

Hi

My CTS doesn't burn oil & it's at 24,500 miles :thumbsup: .

The only engine I know of that burns oil normally is a Mazda rotary engine. It's level has to be checked every other fuel fill :eek: .

Have you tried another dealer?

Pb5

:wacko:

Too many car companies & their dealers seem to be trading on their past reputation nowadays.

hi,

ive got a cts, in six months iv never seen the oil level change...  :thumbsup:

i think it was only certain models that have

I must admit i do agree with (twincam.gti) about modern day cars should not use oil and a car manufacture such has toyota you would think would not have any issues with oil usage. The main reason i was told by my toyota dealer is all 16 valve cars burn oil has they need to keep the valve train cool and burning oil does this. Well i've owned 2 rover 1.6 16 valve k-series engines and only time they used oil was when the head gaskets failed. They did then say that a few vvt-i units produced between 2000-2002 have been a bit oil thristy and if my oil usage drops below toyota limit of 1litre per 1000 miles they will strip down the engine check the bore sizes piston ring condictions and if need be replace lower block and pistons has required. All costs will be covered by my warranty has well so i aint got not big bills to pay out.

The car had 25k and a FTSH when i got it last year its just on 44k. Yes i do a lot of miles me dealer did say i was doin to many in a short time but they soon changed there tune once i told them i'd owned other 16 valve cars.

But on a happy note the car is great it pick up well in all gears great mpg of 45-50 and i will be gettin another toyota this little blip has not put me of the brand in the slighest a little bit more honesty of toyota GB and there dealers about this problem would help a lot of worried vvt-i owners. What i can say to all out there of vvt-i engines and non vvt-i just check your fluid levels once a week and i'm sure even with the oil usage on the vvt-i's they will last just has long has toyotas of the past.

Steve

Long post i know sorry

i didnt know the vvt-i engines had a 5 year warranty  where did you hear that??? its good if it has ill try and find that out if i can

I heard about the 5 year warranty in the avensis forum's has it seems the 1.8 vvt-i does use a lot of oil and it has come to light since that the 1.6 vvt-i and also 1.4 vvt-i tend to be oil thirsty. From what i've read its olny the early vvt-i untis them produced from 2000-2002.

If you want to find out more about the 5 year cover on the vvt-i units i think it would be a good idea for you to speak to some of the avensis owners on hear.

hope this helps

Steve

In Ireland a few years back, Toyota were changing whole Avensis bottom ends (maybe top?) as they were porous and using lots of oil as far as I know!!! My brother was working in our local garage on his school work experience and they were changing Avensis engines weekly! And that's not a city dealership! :o