Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Rolla's (slow) Progress

dawesy

just thought id share the progress of the rolla with you all. works moving along now.

so far i have grafted in an ST-205 bonnet vent

tn_gallery_1354_219_1123959061.jpg

fitted some new lights and a corolla GXi front bumper.

tn_gallery_1354_219_1123959117.jpg

and started seam welding the Shell

tn_gallery_1354_219_1123959088.jpg

heres another shot of the new look front.

tn_gallery_1354_219_1123959029.jpg

stripped out!!

tn_gallery_1354_219_1123958985.jpg

sorry pics are small follow this link to my album clicky

Looking good mate but not sure about that bonnet colour :shutit: :lol:

awww ill have to change it then..........how about.............silver?

Coming along fine mate cant wait to see it all finished :yes:

jerry!!

comming along nicely lee.....

i like your new marquee!!!!

Obviously a lot of hard work has gone into all that.

A credit to you.

Looking good,

I think this will be the only time the word "slow" will be used in reference to YOUR Rolla.

Looks good but what are you going to Build now :eek: and the hood looks very nice thit you bought it like that or thit you made it yourself

no i used the centre section from an ST-205 bonnet and grafted it into the rolla's. not easy as the celica hood is made from aluminium and the rolla is steel. only took a couple of days to get it done.

thanks for the supportive comments :thumbsup: just want to get it back on the road now

Nice work Lee,

The GT-4 bonnet is looking very cool and a clue to what lies beneath. I really did not know that the GT-4 bonnets were made of aluminium, interesting. Are you doing all the work yourself? I take it you are going to re-spray the car in silver all over?

How are your rear arches holding up? Mine are still the original items but are really starting to rust away now, paint is starting to bubble up too around the arch. Im not sure if I can salvage these or if it is better to grind them off and replace them?

Im sure you will like the GXi bumper, but I would seriously consider cutting off the slats like I have done to give it a more aggressive look. The Postert splitter finishes the job off. I also modified the front-bottom of the wings to mate with the bumper ends flush, I can send you images if you want. Let me know if you manage to find any fogs (apart from Toyota) that actually fit in those holes, these also make good brake cooler ducts.

I finally managed to find time to fit those Indiglo Dials from JMB, but also added red surface mount LEDs under the needles and red paint to make the needles easy to see against the white dials.

Nad

hi nad yep silver all over (including the underbody :o ) .

i replaced both rear quarter panels about three years ago after an incident with an HGV!! so they are solid. however i have found an alarming amount of corosion on the rear strut towers and rear floor. this is being delt with , as is all corosion, either being cut out or zip wheeld down to bare metal and coated in finigans No1 and then stone guarded. another area to look at is behind the front wheel arch liners, i found a couple of small holes here too. bit disheartening but it is nearly 15 years old!!

doing all the work, incl the respray, myself.

already sorted the front wing to bumper out. bought a pair of AE-101 front wings and cut the front part off and blended it into my wings. looks pretty good. also lost the rear vents on the 'c' pillars plated and smoothed these. got to say that in updates the look of the car no-end.

i have realised why its tacking so long, this rolla is getting a nut and bolt restoration.

currently there is not a nut bolt washer or grommet on the car, just waiting to have the front and rear screens removed.

nad hows the twinny?still going strong?

Hi Lee

Glad you are well mate. I’m impressed that you are undertaking much of the work yourself, it’s the only real way to ensure things are done to your expected standard.

I paid £2,500 for a complete bare-block re-spray two years ago now. Whilst the finish was perfect, I’m a bit miffed that the rust on the rear arches has started to come through so quickly, especially since I was clear about having them treated. Shame you are down in the midlands otherwise I’m sure I could pick up a tip or two from you. My bodywork skills are not great, but I’m wanting to learn, can’t be that difficult.

The Twinny is running fine, although Im seriously starting to consider junking the F-CON piggy-back system for a stand-alone, and throw some 550cc injectors into the engine too so I can run some more boost. No point in having a T4/T3 if you cant use it to its full potential! At the moment the car seems to be running rich, however this seems to be a problem with all factory Toyota ECU’s from that era.

I know that AE111sr (John) has gone MoTeC and is pleased with the results, that may be the best way for me too, Im sure John wont mind me having his Map for me to start from.

Anyway, drop me a message with a contact number, Parisa (my 2 year old daughter) chucked my mobile down the toilet last year and I lost your number!

Nad

only body mods this time around 4WD later, its not going to be cheap.

nad if you ever need a hand just give us a bell. body work aint that hard its just taking your time and being carefull.

have you looked at the link ecu? i know kens just had one fitted an it seems quite good although MoTec would be better suited to the twinny and of course you already know one of the best MoTec mappers around, adrian from fensport.

ill PM you my number, by the way whats happend with the 3s 4ag site? not been updated in a while

dawesy Posted Aug 17 2005, 06:18 PM

i have found an alarming amount of corosion on the rear strut towers

Yes I have heard about this sending a few AE82 and AE92's to the scrap yard. Thankfully I was an obsessive with the Waxoil when I bought my GTi back in 1993 at just 4 years old, probabley thanks to this (and re treatment twice a year and never putting car away damp in garage ...always go over with wash leather first if been in rain storm) mines still on all it's original panels and paint.

Only rust on mine is two 'blob's' where plastic front inner wheel arch liner fixes to front wheel arch on passanger side wing :crybaby:

dawesy Posted Aug 17 2005, 06:18 PM

another area to look at is behind the front wheel arch liners,

Now this I was not away of, will be checking mine this weekend :yes:

yep worth checking the area in question is at the bottom of the 'A' pillar where it meets the sill about level with the bottom door hinge . but have a good look around. thing is corrosion in this sort of area usualy gets out of hand as it isnt immeadiatly visable