Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Exhaust Noise Level Law

Gnome

What do you think to the propsed law?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think to the propsed law?

• I Think it's a good idea
    • I think's it's a bad idea
    • Won't make it to law

Someone mentioned to me this weekend, that there was a discussion about it on Top Gear, and the government were looking to have it in place by 2007.

What are your thoughts?

If memory serves me, it was something like 74db for cars, and 89db for motorcycles....

Well, the car is standard, so I know that would pass.

The bike; however, is ear-bleedingly loud, so would be an instant fail.

I have got a decibel killer to fit, but whether these would be seen as illegal under the proposed law is yet to be seen.

It's also supposed to cover old AND new cars, so no exemptopn for anyone... :(

ok it it gonna cover lorrys as well. cos there is an arwful lot of lorrys which are a damn site louder than my car

I think 74Db is a bit low - but i do think the idea is right...

there are too many muppets with straight-through zorsts, it doesnt make the car fast - you can have a high flow zorst without it being too loud...

I know this'll sound daft as there isnt a button to change the noise level on your exhaust but ideally make it law in built up areas after a certain time or something....

I get sick of cars and bikes with LOUD EXHAUSTS screaming up our road after 9pm - its not so bad for us and the cats, but it'd be a different matter if we had a babby or a small child trying to sleep..... not even double or triple glazing helps!

I think its a good idea to have a set Db limit for exhausts as they already inforce it at race tracks.

My personal view is that it won't make it to law (well, I hope it doesn't).

How many people here like Harleys?

Can you imagine one of them with a 89db limit? :D

I know this'll sound daft as there isnt a button to change the noise level on your exhaust but ideally make it law in built up areas after a certain time or something....

I get sick of cars and bikes with LOUD EXHAUSTS screaming up our road after 9pm - its not so bad for us and the cats, but it'd be a different matter if we had a babby or a small child trying to sleep..... not even double or triple glazing helps!

This is where my idea about the decibel killer comes in.

A bolt-in baffle, can be removed and replaced as and when needs be.

Dem - if a loud exhausts is "screaming" up your road, the first thing I'd be worried about is their speed. Exhausts don't usually scream at 30mph.

I for one hope it doesn't come in, but can see both sides of the argument.

From a biker's perspective (in certain circumstances), loud exhausts can save lives....

I can't see how they can enforce a law that will outlaw cars currently on the raod??

There is also a huge matter of whether the test is done at idle or however many revs......

Why sould bikes be louder then cars? I can't see any logic in that, if the law is designed to decrease noice polution purposes why let some be louder then others??? I am sure many here will agree.. that the highpitched raspy wail of a bike, even at the same volume as the deep smooth rumble of, lets say a straight six is far more offensive/intrusive???

My car is pretty loud right now... but most of the exhaust's gas is escaping from just under the downpipe after an unfortunate "cars meets floor" speedbump incident...

My exhaust was tested at 115db :) Doubt i'll get it to pass this law :lol:

It'll never come in ;)

If they were to make it retrospective, there would be many classic & vintage cars that would fail. As Leeky says it`ll never come in. They keep on dreaming up these hair brained schemes just to justify their existence. :ffs:

Thats half the trouble. They don`t. This has probably come from Brussels. ;)

Its like this dumb idea they have to replace roadtax with some gps rubbish :rolleyes: It'll never happen..

Its like this dumb idea they have to replace roadtax with some gps rubbish  :rolleyes:  It'll never happen..

lol

i read today that even though we may be a paying a quid a litre for go-juice its STILL cheaper than public transport to own you own car! :lol:

just scrap the silly buses and trains!

As long as the rules are sensible! (chance would be a fine thing) i don't object

It is one of lifes great pleasures watching the plod fining the living daylights out of a Nova 'driver'

Though i very much doubt it will be easily enforcable... just look at how much trouble they have enforcing the current law on bikers, its got to be at least half the sports bikes on the road currently have an illegal exhaust.

one thing though... how long do you think it wil be before dump valves and the like start becoming the focus of attention?

could be the start of a worrying trend

dont think it will ever become law.

I also think - that whilst I am in favour of the principle - its not something we need new legislation for.

Why not also apply the principle to the idiots who think you want to listen to their (invariably embarrasing *******) music.

Driving around with a stupidly loud exhaust, and a stereo loud enough to make MY wndows vibrate is simply anti social behaviour - and there is legislation for that.

As with a lot of things - we dont need NEW legislation to deal with these morons.

We need people to actually enforce the existing legislation.

dont think it will ever become law.

I also think - that whilst I am in favour of the principle - its not something we need new legislation for.

Why not also apply the principle to the idiots who think you want to listen to their (invariably embarrasing *******) music.

Driving around with a stupidly loud exhaust, and a stereo loud enough to make MY wndows vibrate is simply anti social behaviour - and there is legislation for that.

As with a lot of things - we dont need NEW legislation to deal with these morons.

We need people to actually enforce the existing legislation.

Now i agree with that :thumbsup:

jerry!!

If memory serves me, it was something like 74db for cars, and 89db for motorcycles....

Well I had my car tested before I went out on track at Rally Day, its a Mitsu Colt 1.3 completly standard and it got 86dB @ 4500 RPM. So it can't ever become a law because alot of cars arn't that quiet anyway!