Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Safe Boost Levels For Rev 1 Turbo

spinout_mr2

hi all, im running a ct26 turbo on my rev1 and wondered what a safe boost level would be, ive got a fcd and grainger boost valve ready but not sure what would be safe. you know to avoid detanation and that? thanks shaun

1.0 bar or 15 psi is normally a good guide, and you WILL notice the differance !! :yes: :D

Do you have an aftermarket Boost Gauge ?

yeah its at exactly 10 at the mo, so has the turbo been changed or are the 26s standard on the earlier ones i get mixed up?

Sorry to but in on the subject but is the same boost level applicable to my engine? Its a rev 3 motor w/ ct20 turbo, its stock apart from an apex-i panel filter. I have a defi boost gague and its saying that i'm running 0.8bar in first and second and 1.0bar in the other gears which is too much by std specs. Not sure what to make of it really, anyone have any explanations or suggestions??

Thanks,

Nathan

hi all, im running a ct26 turbo on my rev1 and wondered what a safe boost level would be, ive got a fcd and grainger boost valve ready but not sure what would be safe. you know to avoid detanation and that? thanks shaun

15 psi MAX IMO, your using an MBC which will certianly be prone to spiking on cold nights etc so I'd try and set it to about 13 psi (leaves a couple of psi for spikes & 3 psi over your current setting should be noticable.

yeah its at exactly 10 at the mo, so has the turbo been changed or are the 26s standard on the earlier ones i get mixed up?

CT26 is the OEM turbo from 89-93 and the CT20b from late 93-99.

Sorry to but in on the subject but is the same boost level applicable to my engine? Its a rev 3 motor w/ ct20 turbo, its stock apart from an apex-i panel filter. I have a defi boost gague and its saying that i'm running 0.8bar in first and second and 1.0bar in the other gears which is too much by std specs. Not sure what to make of it really, anyone have any explanations or suggestions??

Type III MR2's have an OEM setting of 13 psi (0.89 bar), fuel cut at about 18.? psi. 15 psi is no problem (1.03 bar) and 18 max if you have a nice cold night etc. (1.24 bar)

Depends on how often you boost around really :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

The ct26 is the standard turbo on the rev 1 and 2's the ct20b is used on the others.

Boost levels are as Kiwi says !.

10, must be 10 psi, so you could wind that up to 13-14 easy.

Boost spikes amy occur as said with a mbc.

to set higher boost and not worry about spikes you'll need a boost controller !

So the type III's can take a fair bit more boost then?? I was gonna run about 1.1bar. But i still cant figure why my boost gague is telling me im already boosting at 1.0bar. Do you think its my gague that is out? How is there any way of telling for sure?

Thanks again

Nathan

So the type III's can take a fair bit more boost then?? I was gonna run about 1.1bar. But i still cant figure why my boost gague is telling me im already boosting at 1.0bar. Do you think its my gague that is out? How is there any way of telling for sure?

Thanks again

Nathan

The actuator is what controlls the waste gate, which in turn controlls your boost. :ffs:

If someone has upgraded you actuator (an adjustable one, with changeable springs) then the boost could be set to 1.0 bar by adjusting the actuator (or adding preload) without the need for a mcb. :thumbsup:

But you still need a fcd to stop fuel cut at these boost levels :D

My actuator is fully adjustable ! (check sig - 0.7 bar) mines set to 0.7 bar so when i am set to low boost with my boost controller it runs that !

i wouldnt do much 15psi passes unless i had an upgraded ic. anyways, after 15psi, all the turbo does is blow hot air. you won't see any performance gains with that. id just run around 12-13 psi. for the ct20b guy, there are a few people runnin up to 20psi. however, their mogors are built to run that high and they have the proper mods to keep everything in check.

thanks for that, i will stick to 14 then just to be safe. im running a turbo elbow and decat pipe and a blitz sus filter to. with 14psi what kind of bhp increase will i see?

stock exhaust still? probably around 190-200ish rwhp. not too good at estimating hp as conditions can vary amongst cars. so results will also vary.

I checked my actuator and it looks std so its a bit of a mystery i guess. I was planning on running 1.1 bar boost. I have a de cat pipe, apex-i panel filter, colder plugs but the rest of the exhaust is stock. Will this be to high?

thanks,

Nathan

yup.. especially without an uprated ic. i honestly wouldnt run past than 1bar. on a stock tc26, anything past 16 wont produce power. itll blow so much hot air.

mister2 yeah stock exhaust mate. so what would a good electronic boost controller be for future reference??

something with a dual solenoid actuator. like blitz dsbc, greddy profec b spec 1, etc. if ou dont want to dish out a lot of money, manual boost controllers will work well.

cheers yeah ive just finished fitting it, it gives it a much more healthy kick now, spun out with the fcd though? but its a bit of trial and error realy. but it seems to hold 14 well enough but just drops off slightly toward the end only to 13 though.