Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Speakers

grandmaster

Hi People,

I have a 98 Toyota Avensis GLS and want to upgrade the Speakers. I gather from other posts the door cards will need to come out :crybaby: but thats minor, I want to know what size Speakers are underneath?

My front two Speakers have stopped working and when the did work the sound was awful!

Also I wanted to know if anyone has any problems playing cd-r's in the CD player?

Can't tell you what size the Speakers are, but be aware that they're riveted in place.

CDR's won't play in some players simply because not all players can read them. Particually in car audio's.

the Speakers (after a bit of research in a poineer book) are 17CM and are indeed riveted in place by, you'll need to drill them out, the new ones will come with fixings to allow you to screw them in place, but to replace then the WHOLE door card needs to be removed, there are about 4 plastic screws around the outter part of the door, that only need a 1/4 of a turn to "release" them, and 1 in the handle of the door and 1 by the opening/release lever too, i think.

I was going to change my Speakers until I found out they were riveted in place, this was after I had taken the door card off :ffs: .

Mackers is right though, there is a screw hiddun under a flap in the handle bit next to the window switches. You need to unscrew this which will effectively remove the whole handle assembly, TBH it's not a big job, by far the most challenging bit IMO will be drilling out the rivets.

I may still replace those crappy things that toyota install, did you know they're made out of paper (I mean the whole speaker assembly, not just the cones!), no wonder they're pants!

Good luck with the replacments, what are you going to put in instead BTW. I always fancied the titanium coned Pioneers (forget the names now).

i replaced my Speakers al round in my 98GLS becoz the standard ones were crap. i didnt bother drilling em out as i wasnt gnna be needin them fittings again neway. i jus used a pair of pliers to get em out and used the new fittings i got with the new Speakers. I was really happy with the job and it sounds much better now. I replaced the Speakers with a some 180watt alpine ones.

Good luck

Cheers guys :D

Thanks for replying, I think I'll give the CD player a good cleaning and see where that takes me.

I still want to change the Speakers because the standard ones are absolutely pants :censor:

I'm not sure which ones I'll install, now I know the size I can shop around.

How easy was it to get the door cards our...is there anything a heavy handed fellow should watch out for, I dont want snap any bits!

I think I might take bilals approach and just rip them suckers out!

nah ya don't have be too careful, jus make sure you don't loose anything, thats all and watchout for the 2 hidden screws (listed above)

i fitted a set of ALPINE components (the ones with the separate tweeter) cost £130, special order from Halfords, but sell worth it, rear ones are a 3 way set up from pioneer... sounds loads better now, but then again my complete install cost me £3500.