Do Not Sell My Personal Information

St202 Concerning Noise

andrewl41

Hi,

The last couple of times I've started my GT, I've noticed a faint noise coming from the engine. It's a kind of ticking noise and speeds up with engine revs. Now I've put my head under the bonet and as far as I can tell, it's coming from the area of the cam cover, possibly underneath.

Now, the cam belt was changed around 30K ago, but I don't know if the water pump was changed at the same time. Could this bo on the way out? It was done as part of a scheduled service at a main dealer so I would hope it was.

Can anyone suggest any things I can check easily to try and diagnose where this is coming from? I really don't want to snap a cam belt but if it could be something far simpler and cheaper I'd like to explorer that first.

Thanks for any advice..

Andrew

sounds like a cam shaft shim is worn mate , ticks from cold for 10 seconds then stops .??????????

Hi, and thanks,

It ticks for a bit longer than 10 seconds, perhaps up to a minute but then goes. As I say, it's only just started. Does that sound right?

Andrew

yeah its just shim wear , you could maybe try some slick 50 in or high mileage additives on the market.might work?? probably wont , but can't hurt for the future of the engine.

Well,

mixed blessings I guess, at least I don't have to worry about the cam belt snapping :D

Many thanks for the help

Andrew

In addition to what GT4 BOOSTER posted - Have a look at the exhaust manifold gaskets for signs of blowing. Mine ticked until it was warm until i put a new gasket on. Found that out entirely by accident. :thumbsup:

In addition to what GT4 BOOSTER posted - Have a look at the exhaust manifold gaskets for signs of blowing. Mine ticked until it was warm until i put a new gasket on. Found that out entirely by accident.  :thumbsup:

Hmm, I'll take a look at that. Thanks both :)